Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#224547 04/04/06 12:14 AM
L
Imperial_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker
L
Hi all-
Sorry I have not been around much recently, lots going on....welcome to all newbies here, hope you check out all our forums...

Well, it's been a year in coming, but I lost my job at the zoo. Many changes were happening, and lots of new staff hired who are not from the zoo/conservation world. I was not going to fit in to the new structure, my work was getting dissed and so I started looking for jobs. And I found one, I was accepted to the NY Teaching Fellows program to teach special ed, and the training starts this summer, with teaching to follow in September. I got this while on probation at the zoo so it was a good thing. There is a subsidized Master's in education involved, and they place you in probably the worst public schools, but I have met many people who have done the program and am moving forward hoping for the best.

It's sad to leave the zoo, I've heard from many staffers who were sorry to see me go, and can understand why, which is cool...I worked for the organization for 15 years. But they were trying to find a way to get me to leave and eliminate/reorganize my job, and I knew I made the right decision to accept the Teaching Fellows program when I had to call out one day for personal reasons. I had no sick time left, they had whittled that away over my AS and doctors/other illnesses, and decided that vacation time could not be used to cover it. So, although I had vacation time, and was calling in for a personal day...to care for my dying rabbit, the Bunster (8 years old), they docked my pay. My immediate supervisor and her higher ups who are new hires...supposed zoo people...docked my pay for taking a day to deal with the death of a pet animal....

Well, I've got my Cobra insurance and am getting more Enbrel tomorrow, got accepted for unemployment so far, and am taking two tests next Saturday for certification for the teaching program...am studying away, crossing my fingers.

This and other things have been happening, and I had a minor flare when off the Enbrel in order to take some antibiotics, but am moving on to the next thing, and hoping it succeeds. I am still writing music and recording demos, selling a song is still a goal, and my two cats have been helping me cope.

Peace out everyone, I have not said it recently, but you rock, thanks for being here at KA-
Linc

LINCinNYC #224548 04/04/06 12:32 AM
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Its too bad that you had to leave the Zoo under those conditions after being there for 15 years, but it sounds like it was a good move for you. I hope that the new teaching job works out great for you....keep on rockin and written those tunes.
Dan

>>>>>>
We are kicking some AS*.
LINCinNYC #224549 04/04/06 12:33 AM
J
Veteran_AS_Kicker
Veteran_AS_Kicker
J
Hi Linc, I am new to the site but just wanted to say congrats on the new job. Sometimes the best opportunities seem to happen when we least expect them. It's not nice when your employer is trying to get rid of you for unjust reasons, been there, but I think the best thing is to just hold your head up high do the best job you can and know for yourself that you did it. You are a good person and mean alot to the people here at KA too. I have read alot of the previous posts from you on the site and you are always full of encouragement.

Good luck to you in all of your future endevours.
Jill

LINCinNYC #224550 04/04/06 01:03 AM
Master_Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Master_Sergeant_AS_Kicker
Linc,

It's sad that even a zoo can be operated in such a way, especially docking your pay when you took a personal day to take care of your rabbit. You would think a zoo would be a bit more understanding. But then I work for a hospital and they don't have a better understanding of illness or better health benefits and very strict drug policy. Were you close to retirement? You sure put in a lot of years to be treated like that.

I have never seen anyone who has lost a job end up worse off than they were. It always ends up better in the end.

I hope things work out for you.

Sharon

LINCinNYC #224551 04/04/06 01:17 AM
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Hey Linc

I knew what was going on, but I had really hoped that you would be able to work until you started teaching...I am so sorry that everything went down the way it did.

Let me know if I can do anything to help, and you know....you ROCK!

I will call you within the next couple days.

big hugs
Lori

"You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love........."

LINCinNYC #224552 04/04/06 04:07 AM
SENSational_AS_Kicker
SENSational_AS_Kicker
Well Linc, I'm sure others are right and this will all turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Being traeted so badly at work really sucks but now you are going to truly rock as a teacher. Kids will adore you, I'm sure.

I'm sorry about your rabbit and I totally understand. I had a dwarf rabbit who lived for 12 years. His name was Basil and he died a couple of years ago - very heartbreaking. What an awesome pet - used to run around the house and nudge my ankle when he wanted to be fussed.

I am so heartened by folks who care for their pets the way you obviously did for your rabbit.

Maggie

LINCinNYC #224553 04/04/06 04:10 AM
Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Congrat's on your new job...you still rock and will cope very well at this bittersweet moment,i know in 15yrs,your zoo position has been rewarding in all ways...but..This is simply the next phase. but with a new life comes new perspective and I will continue to pray for you to prosper and be blessed on your new journey to suceed...take care/b-well

LINCinNYC #224554 04/04/06 04:17 AM
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
You are so doggone positive in your posts but I am annoyed bvy anyone who would look to move you out of your job. As for the teaching gig, my Mom was NYC public school teacher in the system for decades.

Is the fellows program a public school program? Great benefits if it works out but man the special ed thing is hard work. I saw a lot of it first hand when visiting schools.

Rootin' for you more than I root for most ASKickers and I root like hell for all the folks here.

L-R: Julianna, Jamie, Diane and Tonimarie

stevec-they also serve who stand and wait
LINCinNYC #224555 04/04/06 04:39 AM
C
C
Linc,

Sorry to hear that they forced you out like that. In the end they are the losers and some day they will see that. We are going to have to Boycott the zoo for doing this to you.
I am glad that you are getting to work at some thing you like. I wish you all the very best in your new Job. I know you will be just GREAT at Teaching. You Rock Linc.

John

LINCinNYC #224556 04/04/06 05:16 AM
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Hey Linc
Great to see you! Sorry about the zoo business. But so happy to hear how you are dealing with it all. The teaching position with Spec Ed children, you will probably find to be worth gold. My sister has special educational needs and sharring life with her is a beautiful thing. There is a uniqueness there that you cant find any where else. My sister in law teaches special ed children and she too thought "oh, worst schools, do I really want this?" Turns out that the bad schools in her area arent too bad, not like New York may have. The special needs children are so full of love that when someone comes along that truely invest love in them, they seem to value it so much more than "mainstream" folks seem to do. Its part of our society to push them out but special people who understand there value are the link, that may be the only way to show and incourage them, to believe in and find there purpose. Kudos to you brother. My fingers are crossed for your tests. When will you get the results on your the test you are going to take Saturday? I'll be watching for an update and good news.

Take care Bro'

Last edited by OhHenry; 04/04/06 05:28 AM.

AND SO IT GOES...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!