Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
alohaben #216161 01/25/06 03:55 AM
W
Iron_AS_Kicker
Iron_AS_Kicker
W
No one should eat raw eggs, period.
Right back at ya, dude!

I guess I won't recomend that Dr. Christiane Northrup book, then. That ob-gyn who's probably never heard of AS but has quite a bit of scientific explanation about the relationship between diet, inflammation, and female hormonal issues...nyaaaah.
One great thing about doing the same thing over and over is...you get the same results!

alohaben #216162 01/25/06 09:43 AM
Ninja_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Quote:

hey platy, again

i don't know about australia, but raw egg ought to be a red flag if you're having tummy problems...salmonella risk.

look, this diet stuff is the corporate religion here; you don't have to buy into it...many other folks here look with
a bit of disbelief at many aspects of this whole nsd/lsd...there are many annecdotal success stories, but the
basic science/voodoo stuff is not generally accepted and is unproven except by their guru.

i stopped following anyone who was the sole source of all truth forty years ago.

we still can come here and play, you don't have to go to their church...nothing works for everybody

now watch the perfect firestorm of responses...

best
aB$h

hi Ben,

you are the stirrer, and thanks for the support

I need to explain about the egg. Raw egg yolk is the basic ingredient in egg flips. The issue with raw egg was not about tummy problems, and on the whole I do not have major tummy problems. I did not want to go into the exact detail of what happens, but I guess some people have not worked out that the allergy is related to driving the porcelain bowl (that is the raw egg yolk makes me vomit). Most of the time the smell of egg cooking can be enough to set me off

I have a little story about a particular incident when I was heavily pregnant with my first son. I was staying with my parents because hubby was sent overseas to Georgia for a short time in relation to his work. That occurred at about the time I was due to give birth to our first child. Anyway, my father was busily cooking an omelette that also used tomato, and the smell, plus the sight of that stuff cook sent me running in the direction of the bathroom. Unfortunately, my niece Kathryn got in my way, and I ended up stubbing my right foot, (little toe on that foot was damaged) against the bathroom door. For months after that incident I had trouble walking so I do suspect that I broke my little toe in that incident.

I have not eaten egg since my pre-teen years. Even though I avoided eating egg, my sister made me an egg nog, but she did not tell me the ingredients of the drink. I felt ill afterwards, and then I put two and two together and realized that the problem with eggs happened to be that I could not tolerate having raw egg yolk. Something similar happened with tomatoes. I refused to eat tomatoes but was having the other products until I realised that additives such as tomato paste, and tomato sauce (ketchup) made me feel queazy. I have eliminated anything that includes tomato paste, or tomato puree etc. I am not sure I should relate what happened when there was cucumber juice on my plate but I think you can guess. The mayonnaise is the latest ingredient that I have added to the list. I think it is because eggs are used in the home made recipe (there you go with raw egg again).

In my case this stuff does not even get the chance to hit my stomach. The reaction is almost instantaneous. Oh it can be difficult to explain what happens and my family are not always tolerant when I begin to start acting like I am going to be sick I hate it because to retch like that really hurts my chest.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
wind_rider #216163 01/25/06 09:47 AM
Ninja_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Quote:

So why do so many people drink egg nog? It is made of raw egg. Also stuff like eggs benedict is based upon beaten egg yolk. Oh you do not want to hear about what happened when my sons made me French toast for mother's day It was difficult explaining about how the oven door shattered

wind_rider #216164 01/25/06 09:56 AM
Ninja_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Quote:

Right back at ya, dude!

I guess I won't recomend that Dr. Christiane Northrup book, then. That ob-gyn who's probably never heard of AS but has quite a bit of scientific explanation about the relationship between diet, inflammation, and female hormonal issues...nyaaaah.
One great thing about doing the same thing over and over is...you get the same results!

I would probably not read the book. However, there is a casual relationship between female hormones and inflammation, so much so that one rheumy I saw dismissed my fingers on the grounds that he sees a lot of women with problems in their hands because they are going through perimenopause.

I have a book that is written by an edocrinologist which is excellent because it explains in intricate detail the relationships between hormones and how the body works. He offers a lot of sound advice relating to the relationship between diet and hormones, and our weight. It is the book that I prefer as a reference.

I have read books written by Sandra Cabot that is based on the same kind of subject. However, I do no believe that she is anywhere near accurate in what she says on the subject. She gets some things right, but I disagree with some of her conclusions.

Our hormonal systems are finely balanced and we need to respect that balance. Our bodies change over time because of that delicate balance. For some of us, losing weight is difficult because of some unknown hereditary factor. Most of the women in my mother's family put on weight very easily. Only a few of them remained thin.

Platypus #216165 01/25/06 11:25 AM
New_Member
New_Member
Maggie, so sorry to have offended you. Best of luck.

sink_painter #216166 01/25/06 09:56 PM
Ninja_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Quote:

Maggie, so sorry to have offended you. Best of luck.

Cheryl,

your apology is accepted. As I said, I am sensitive over the issue of diet. My reference book on this issue definitely states that one should have some carbohydrate and starches.

Maggie

Platypus #216167 02/02/06 04:29 AM
Ninja_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Quote:

I feel so sore that the pain is just unbelievable. It seems that I have started up with a new pain flare.

Last week I noticed a new pain spot (near my chest - ladies I seek your advice on this one). At the same time I had trouble with my left shoulder because it was dislocating again. Then yesterday, I had to be out most of the day because my car was getting a servicing, and I went to a local shopping centre near the dealer's workshop. The car servicing took hours and I was wandering around. Then by early afternoon my feet were so sore that I could barely move, my low back was excruciating.

When I finally got home the pain continued to be extremely bad. Once again my husband let me down because he continues to refuse to accept that there is anything wrong. There I am, in pain and all he can think about is "chores". He gave me a choice of taking rubbish outside to the garbage bin, or emptying and loading the diswasher. He refused to understand, and he refused to listen to me regarding the level of my pain. So, I took out the garbage because that was less stressful on my back. All he could say when I asked him was he listening, is that he gets pain too. Yet, what he gets is that fleeting muscular problem that comes from lack of use of muscles, rather than this excruciating problem. He refuses to do anything to get his own weight under control.

This is an extremely stressful situation for me. I have to deal with the pain, and I have to deal with all of the stress that he is creating because he refuses to accept that I have a problem. Today I am having an ultrasound. It is necessary because I have thickening of the lining of my womb and since I am now officially at menopause, we need to work out why I had a recent bleeding episode. I need to rule out cancer and I need to know the status of the fibroids within my womb now that I have reached menopause.

The pain is so bad that if I lean my wrists against a hard surface I am feeling the tingling and numbness. It is in my upper back, as well as my lower back, and it is around my knees. Oh yes, did I forget to mention the front of my pelvis?

Maggie

It looks like my flare is continuing. The worst part of it is the pain in the balls of my feet. Even when I was with my doctor, I could feel the heat in my wrists.

Well, I described the pain pattern again, and I am increasing my dosage of Neurontin to 1200 mg per day. I definitely have neuropathic pain.

The weather over here is not helping, and I am feeling stressed for personal reasons. The stress is adding to the pain. I cannot explain the reason for this personal stress except that I am feeling very upset and angry at the present time.

Maggie

Platypus #216168 02/02/06 01:39 PM
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Hi Maggie,
I'm new to the site this week so I hope I get this post right. I "feel your pain". It sounds to me that your home support is non existant. Stress only compounds the pain levels in AS. I am a 30 year survivor of AS and have been through all the possible stages there are and I can tell you the worst is when there is ignorance in your support system. From husbands, to friends and doctors. The problem with these three support areas is lack of education. Over the years I have finally gotten tired of it and educated them all and frankly if they don't want to understand I don't care. I now look out for #1, which is really hard for me since I am a people pleaser. The first and formost important support is your doctor or doctors. I hope you at least have that. I have a group of three ,GP, Rummy, and Orthopod, that work together on my care, and that's hard to find. The next areas are even harder, family and friends, that is why this web site is soooooo important. Understanding, support, compassion, help is what you need. Here is where you will get that. It takes a strong person to live with a desease that no one understands or wants to. Many times friends and family think you want sympathy and make themselves scarce. It's hard enough sometimes to deal with our own denial much less theirs. If others would just understand that all you want is understanding and support not pitty it would be alot easier for you. You can get through this. Take care of yourself. Don't overdo. Pamper yourself when you can. We all share a common bond here. I wish there was something I could do to help you get through your rough time. I don't know how to add the smillies yet so I'll have to just send you an immaginary hug.
Good Luck and God Bless

" That which does not kill me only makes me stronger"
manatee #216169 02/02/06 11:46 PM
Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
Hey Cindy, Welcome to the KA Forum. After 30 years with AS, you're def. a veteran. Looking forward to the nuggets of wisdom you'll share... (I just gave you a hug and some love)

PS the graemlins / smilies are directly below the message box you post in. Place your cursor where you want one, click on the one you want, and it will be added to your post. There's even a description of the graemlin when you highlight it. When you are posting a new message or a reply, if you want to change the little guy next to the post title, you can select one in the spot just below the subject line.

Blessings, Sigrid
manatee #216170 02/03/06 12:51 AM
Ninja_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Ninja_AS_Kicker
Quote:

Hi Maggie,
I'm new to the site this week so I hope I get this post right. I "feel your pain". It sounds to me that your home support is non existant. Stress only compounds the pain levels in AS. I am a 30 year survivor of AS and have been through all the possible stages there are and I can tell you the worst is when there is ignorance in your support system. From husbands, to friends and doctors. The problem with these three support areas is lack of education. Over the years I have finally gotten tired of it and educated them all and frankly if they don't want to understand I don't care. I now look out for #1, which is really hard for me since I am a people pleaser. The first and formost important support is your doctor or doctors. I hope you at least have that. I have a group of three ,GP, Rummy, and Orthopod, that work together on my care, and that's hard to find. The next areas are even harder, family and friends, that is why this web site is soooooo important. Understanding, support, compassion, help is what you need. Here is where you will get that. It takes a strong person to live with a desease that no one understands or wants to. Many times friends and family think you want sympathy and make themselves scarce. It's hard enough sometimes to deal with our own denial much less theirs. If others would just understand that all you want is understanding and support not pitty it would be alot easier for you. You can get through this. Take care of yourself. Don't overdo. Pamper yourself when you can. We all share a common bond here. I wish there was something I could do to help you get through your rough time. I don't know how to add the smillies yet so I'll have to just send you an immaginary hug.
Good Luck and God Bless

Hi Cindy,

I suspect that I am a veteran with the same distance as yourself, but without the dx to prove it

I have a wonderful doctor who is very supportive. My husband better watch out because John was most upset about his attitude and said that he needed to look at my bone scan. He has heard my concerns and he has stated: we will push on. He has been very attentive and that is why I appreciate him so much. He is prepared to look more closely at a possible dx for AS and he sent me off for x-rays yesterday with that particular query. I am now waiting until next week to get the results. John has also helped with the Neurontin because it is more than I can afford over here since it is not on the NHS for my particular disorder (neuropathic pain)

Other members of my family are supportive too. It is my husband who has not fully understood the nature of my problem. I have spoken to my parish priest about what is wrong and he also understands and gives support. The assistant priest in the parish also understands that something is wrong too. However, I just have to teach him that his introductions to the readings tend to be a little bit long winded and that can upset my body

Maggie

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 64 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM