Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#19382 12/12/01 09:27 PM
AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar
This post is sticky and for recipes and now important links only--pleas no discussion in this string; just the facts, people.

Starch-free recipes

Chili Rellenos Casserole

This recipe uses Ortega, Poblano, or Anaheim chiles. These are large, mild peppers that are often found in cans in the Mexican foods section, or in season at the grocers in the Southwest US.

In a rectangular Pyrex dish about 3" deep:

Pour in a thin layer of a mild salsa or even spaghetti sauce (Prego makes starchless)
Julienne a layer of iceberg lettuce to cover this
A smoky Montery Jack, mozzarella, or other soft white cheese can be either cut or grated over lettuce
Place strips of the Ortega (etc) over this
Julienne another layer of lettuce upon the chiles
Sliced black California style olives, diced red onions (pre-cooked, if desired), and fresh cilantro
Scramble whole eggs, approximately 1 for every 4 inch square, and pour over the present layers
Add a bit more salsa and another layer of chiles
Finish with more cheese and fresh cilantro. Slivered almonds can be used, also.

This should be baked for 45 minutes at 260F, and broiled to skin-over for another 5 minutes or so.

While hot, the casserole should be sliced into individual servings. These freeze and reheat quite successfully.

Serve with favorite salsa.

DragonSlayer #19383 12/13/01 01:22 AM
AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar
OKRA. The food characters of okra that most people avoid are actually important in treating AS and LGS, and it should be eaten twice weekly, if possible.

Wok cooking is easiest. This type of shallow frying is much less damaging than other, heavier and more oil-consuming fry methods. A bamboo steamer can be used for the first stage of cooking so that much less time in oil and less oil is used.

Coarsely chop up a whole onion. Purple onion, if milder flavor is preferred.
Add two garlic cloves that have been finely sliced; less for milder taste.
Remove tops and the bit of tail from each okra and French-cut (angle) into 2-3 sections.

The onions and okra can be steamed together for 15 minutes, the wok poured out and a small amount of oil (canola--rape seed--oil is best) heated. Flash-cooked for another 5 minutes, tomatoes can be added any time, as well as some hot sauce to taste and garlic.

Water, with a bit of lemon juice, can be poured in after the flash cooking, if more liquid is desired.

DragonSlayer #19384 12/13/01 01:24 AM
AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar

BITTER MELON. This might be called ‘armagoso,’ and cerese root, and is often available in Asian markets. The basic character is somewhat odd, but it has antibiotic, antifungal, etc properties as well as other important tract cleansing properties. This is also a key treatment for psoriasis, and can be taken for about seven days during a month, then repeated.

The basic shape is similar to cucumber, and it should be sliced lengthwise and then into less than half inch segments. These are boiled in a small amount of water. Apparently, if the water is stirred very much the bitterness is increased, so gentle boiling for about 10 minutes is good.

Sections can be added to an egg scramble with other important herbs like garlic and chives. Fenugreek, another important herb in treating AS, can help offset the bitterness. Cayenne, as well as Tobasco can be used to help spice it up. Eggs, two daily (especially the yolks), are important in AS treatment, also.

DragonSlayer #19385 12/13/01 01:27 AM
AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar

BEAN SPROUTS. These are the germinated shoots of mung beans, and are not starchy. Fresh bean sprouts are best, but they are sold in cans in the Chinese food section of most large supermarkets. They are loaded with important enzymes and help provide bulk to the NSD.

These can be wok-fried, boiled, or even eaten raw. Mixed with pieces of scrambled egg, paneer (a solid curd Indian “farmer’s cheese”), or tofu, the tiny sprouts cook rapidly—4-5 minutes. Curry works wonders on sprouts, also.

Raw, they are pretty good in vinegar—apple cider is best, and this can be made into ‘balsamic’ by warming with raisins, celery seeds, blackstrap molasses, tarragon, and cooking sherry. Apple sauce can be used to thicken the reduced liquid, if desired.

DragonSlayer #19386 12/13/01 01:29 AM
AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar
TOFU. Tofu, although from the soya bean, is not starchy and can enhance any dish. Its bland flavor can be a foil for most dishes, but I prefer seasoning the tofu to stand on its own:

On a Teflon baking sheet, dust on some California style Lemon Pepper along with an equal amount of a curry powder, cumin, or turmeric. Place sliced (just over ½” thick) extra firm tofu onto sheet. The top of the tofu can then be prepared with the same, after spreading first with A1, chutney, or just lemon or lime juice. Broil it for 6 minutes or so, or bake it aggressively until steam is evolved and it might require basting.

This is sliced into 1” lengths then scraped off the pan.

Can be added to just about any dish, and works quite well with spinach, okra, and bean sprouts.

DragonSlayer #19387 01/05/02 04:27 AM
AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar
The problem of finding starchless snacks is a tough one on this less-than-convenient dietary regimen.

Those single-ounce string cheese snacks are nice, but more fattening than filling. Cottage cheese, is also a cheese, but handy with nothing else around. There are snack packs of fruit flavored applesauce, or cinnamon or plain.

I mix raisins and almonds together as a kind of GORP. "Craisins" (dried cranberries) can be used, also. We should be eating at least three raw almonds daily, for the B17.

Halvah is not starchy, and there are sesame seed and honey squares or cookies that are normally safe, although heavy on the sugar so if you have a C. albicans problem this might not be good. Trader Joe's have cookies that are just sugar and egg albumen--meringue, in three flavors, and these can be baked with relative ease. Again, too much sugar.

Grapes, and concord grape juice (unsweetened, if possible) can help with the starch cravings.

Uncooked carrots are not very starchy and probably acceptable in moderation, although some have trouble even with the sugar level in these.

Olives are nice, and can be mixed with Ragu and heated. No commercially prepared soups are starch-free, but I am experimenting with getting the Ragu/tomato paste, etc mixture right--watered down spaghetti sauce is about all I have ended up with to date...

I quit eating Jello upon becoming vegetarian, but tried it recently and did not gag, so it may be a good starch-free snack, especially with the glucosamine level.

Plenty of sunflower seeds, pepitas (gourd seeds), walnuts, Macadamia nuts, and filberts provide some variety.

Fruit leather is another option, but some have additives and modified food starch, as do many yoghurt brands--most of these do not have "live active cultures," either.

I used to be a major cracker, chips and salsa, and pasta consumer. I still like most of the things that I used to put on these--especially some salsas. "Nachos--Flanders style," are not so bad; cucumber slices with cottage cheese, olive, and some paprika. (variation on SImpson's neighbor, Ned Flanders, suggestion). I have even made spaghetti using the squash for the Myzithra cheese ("Plato's Delight" ?) as offered by Spaghetti Factory, but that is not really a snack as major cooking. Things like celery sticks can handle the cream cheese, onion dip, etc.

Cayce put chocolate in the same category as starches, but I have not had problems with it, outside the excess sugar. I do not eat very much of it, just in case.

Best to all,
John

DragonSlayer #19388 01/11/02 02:55 PM
I
Ike Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
I
OK its not really pizza, but that what the recipe called it.
Good recipe to experiment with, such as mixing spaghetti sauce in with tomatoes, or spicing with Oregano and Rosemary instead of Basil.
I'm not absolutly positive it's stach free. I eat this often, with not even a hint of flare.

4-6 med. Zucchini squash (Yellow Summer squash works too)
2-3 tomatoes (canned tomatoes will work fine)
1 medium onion
1 lb. Mozzerella cheese (about 1/2 kilogram)
5-10 thin slices bacon
Basil, salt, pepper (or other zesty spices that you prefer)

Wash and slice Zucchini into lightly oiled baking dish
slice onion and cover squash-- season each layer as you go
slice tomatoes and cover onions
generously cover this all with cheese
cover top with bacon- only one slice thick
Bake at 400 degrees F for about 40 min. ... until bacon is done

DragonSlayer #19389 01/12/02 08:38 PM
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Saw this on the IBS website. Sure sounds good.

Show Off Scallops

Ingredients
Serves two or three
12 or so scallops - depending on their size and the number of eaters
garlic granules (do not use fresh garlic)
50g (2 oz) unsalted butter
100 ml (4 fl oz) brandy - apple or apricot brandy is especially good
150 ml (1/4 pint) double cream
1 tablespoon chopped chives

Method
Sprinkle the scallops with the garlic granuls. Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the scallops and cook over high heat for 3 minutes on one side. Meanwhile, heat the brandy in a small saucepan. Remove the scallops from the heat, pour the brandy over the scallops, light the brandy with a match and, when it burns out, return the pan to a high heat and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cream, stir until hot again. Pour into serving dishes, then sprinkle with chopped chives.

Angus

No one said life would be easy, just worth it.

No one said life would be easy, just worth it.
tinynic #19390 01/12/02 09:05 PM
M
General_AS_Kicker
General_AS_Kicker
M
Ike and Angus,

Both those recipes sound great!! You should also post them in the Recipes Forum. I love scallops and veggies too!! Thanks!

Michelle

DragonSlayer #19391 01/22/02 01:16 PM
A
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
A
Hi all,

I found a great protein snack.

ham, alfalalfa (sprouted seeds of alfalalfa-plant) and cottage cheese...

put some alfalalfa on the ham and on top of that the cottage cheese.
use additional herbs/spices if desired
Then make a package, wrapping it all in the ham.

tasty, fast, available in the supermarket (netherlands) rich in protein and low in fat

the alfalalfa provides some fibre and vitamins

DragonSlayer #19392 02/25/02 11:42 PM
AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar
For Carol Sinclair's "The IBS Starch--Free Diet" http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0091815134/qid=1014679548/026-1017966-2544419.

Another good book is: Zampieron et all: "Arthritis: An Alternative Medicine Definitive Guide." http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1887299157/qid=1031417460/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-4622339-3403111?v=glance&s=books&n=13996

Another recommendation, written by another AS sufferer, Jackie Le Tissier "Food Combining for Vegetarians:" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0722527632/qid=1014680383/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-5260311-1101639

Looks like a winner: Elain Gottschall's "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0969276818/qid=1021942300/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-1003764-2655110

They might have some products we could experiment with:
http://www.glutenfreemall.com....

DragonSlayer #19393 03/19/02 11:32 PM
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Crackers

1/4 lb grated cheddar cheese
1 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup oil
3 tblsp cold water
Coarse salt(and/or sesame seeds or poppy seeds)

Mix together all ingredients except the coarse salt(sesame or poppy seeds). Form mixture into a ball and refrigerate about 15 minutes or until firm. Roll the ball out into a flat thin layer. Press in coarse salt and/or sesame seeds or poppy seeds. Cut into squares and bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.

These are crispy and really good!!!! If you don't have sage or thyme you can always use oregano, basil or whatever you like. Some specialty grocery stores will carry almond flour in bulk. Otherwise, you can purchase it online at http://www.almondsonline.com

Enjoy!
Meredith

made linkable

Edited by DragonSlayer on 03/19/02 07:43 PM (server time).

Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Crustless Spinach Quiche

1 9oz Pkg Frozen Chopped Spinach
2 cloves garlic minced
5 Eggs
2 Cups shredded cheese
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Thaw and drain spinach. Saute garlic and spinach in a little oil or butter for a few minutes or until all liquid evaporates. Beat eggs and combine with cheese, salt and pepper. Combine spinach with eggs and then pour into a lightly greased pie pan. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.

I usually use cheddar cheese and sometimes a little feta, but any cheese of your liking will work. The original recipe calls for 3 cups of cheese, but I found this to be excessive. Although I have not tried it, I'm sure that meat could be substituted in place of the spinach.

Enjoy!

Edited by Starfish on 04/30/02 08:26 AM (server time).

H
Commanding_AS_Kicker
Commanding_AS_Kicker
H
I found this site " Upper Canada Lower Bowel Society " they have lots of recipes that should be good for us , I saw quite a few recipes using almond flour http://www.uclbs.org/bmc.htm . Enjoy !

Bruce

Bruce

Still kicking AS with the No Starch Diet !
O
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
O
Carrot Curls

This recipe may be used as a substitute for potato chips or when something crisp is desired.
Using a potato peeler, make curls out of about 3 carrots.
Deep fry in oil until they turn golden brown.
Drain in a colander or strainer. Refrigerate oil for next batch.
(Do not use oil more than 3 times as it may become rancid.)
Turn carrot curls onto a paper towel and pat dry.
Salt to taste.

Vanilla Candy/Becky's Magic Toffee (I kind of combined the two recipes)

1/2 C. Water
1 lb. honey (about 2 cups)
1 tsp. vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbl. butter
1 Tbl. baking soda

Heat honey, vinegar, and water in a large pot.
Allow to boil gently until a firm ball forms when dropped into cold water.
Remove from heat, place pot in sink, add vanilla, butter, and baking soda.
Stir briskly but only until baking soda is thoroughly blended in and toffee mixture foams up.
When the foaming begins to subside, pour into a well-buttered pan and cool.
When candy is firm enough, it may be cut into bite size pieces using kitchen shears or cracked with a blunt instrument. (I refrigerated it, then cut it with a knife when it was firm enough, then wrapped the pieces in waxed paper like carmels.)

Variation: When candy has cooled enough to handle, it can be pulled like taffy and then cut into pieces.

Recipes taken from Elaine Gottschall's "Breaking the Vicious Cycle"

O
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
O
Soda Pop Replacement

Mix grape juice - no sugar added (Welches is the most reliable according to Elaine Gottschall - other brands say no sugar is added, but aren't truthful) with soda water.

Very nice fizzy drink for those of us who were soda junkies in our "past life!"

I
Ike Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
I
Hi All,

Just wanted to save some recipes from posts. My hard drive is not a safe place.Hope you don't mind that i did not document sources.

ike

Grilled Veggies

You may grill any veggie you like. Cut about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick. They may be grilled plain - which gives a stronger, sweeter flavor or brush with
a Italian dressing, flavored vinegar, olive oil, liquid aminos or soy sauce if you can use.
The veggies may be sprinkled with sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, ginger, lemon juice or any spice you wish to try. Some veggies take longer to cook than others. I start with 3 min. and add 2 more each time I check. ( If I think they are not soft enough. The ones with the most water content take about 3 min. After removing from the grill I put in a covered dish, to set while the rest cook. I cook for 4.
You may put very thin sliced garlic and/or onions and/or mushrooms on top of meat. It takes 3 or 4 min extra to cook.
If you want the veggie to have flavor from the meat place it on bottom half of grill and meat on top. The juices will run and lightly flavor the veggies.
I cook all kinds of squash, carrots, peppers, onions, garlic, mushrooms, green beans (strung and whole), egg plant - no need to soak in water- just sprinkle on seasoning and grill (very good with all kinds of seasonings) also may put spaghatti sauce or cheese on when grilled.
Asparagus - whole, tomato sliced (brush with oil first - they stick)
Broccoli - stalks sliced long ways - good with almond slices toasted.

If you do not like veggies - try grinding up a 2 carrots and a zucchini and cook for about 20 min extra. It thickens the sauce and you do not taste the veggies.

Fruits may be grilled also. ginger is one good spice a little butter brushed on after a couple minutes of grilling.
Apple, pineapple, peach, pear are also good grilled .

Taco Seasoning

Mix together 3 T chili powder, 1T salt, 1T garlic powder, 1.5 tsp black pepper, 3/4 tsp red pepper. Brown and drain your ground beef, add about 1 T of this mixture (more or less to your liking) with 1/4 cup water and let simmer.
I mix quite a bit up and keep in a airtight container

Fajita Marinade

For fajitas I use 1 cup of Italian Dressing, 1 cup of salsa and 1 TBS lime juce and 1 TBS Worcestershire's. I slice my meat up toss it in a ziploc bag with the ingredients from above. Refrigerate over night. Just turn the baggie over everytime you open the fridge. Then cook your meat as you would without the marinade.

Thanks for the tip about the lime juice. The fajitas (can be either beef, chicken or turkey) will have the meat, onion, red & green pepper slices wrapped in a lettuce leaf.
We used green leaf lettuce for the tacos and it wrapped very nicely. The lettuce didn't fall apart like soft or hard shells do, so I was pretty excited about that aspect too

Jello

I make my own jello.

1 pk gelatin for each cup of water
add extract to taste (I like strawberry)
sweeten to taste

I
Ike Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
I
Hi All,

Here is a link to many recipes based on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Some are No-Starch others are Low Starch. None contain grains or Lactose.

Beware of beans, peanuts, nut flours, bananas, sunflower seeds, squash and a few other indredients. They do contain some starch. Even the yohgurt has been known to trigger some AS sufferers. (myself included)

http://www.scdiet.org/2recipes/default.html

O
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
O
"Blackening Rub"

Mix the ingredients below and keep in an airtight container until ready to use. Best if used within 6 months of mixing. This is great on beef, chicken and pork. Use about 1/2 tablespoon per pound. (I actually just use as much as it takes to cover all surfaces of the meat.)

2 1/2 Tbl paprika
1 3/4 Tbl salt
2 tbl garlic powder
1 tbl black pepper
1 tbl onion powder
3/4 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper (Vary to taste based on desired heat. If cooking for children or others sensitive to chili heat, you may want to start out with a 1/2 teaspoon.)
1 1/4 Tbl dried oregano
1 tbl dried thyme

Cover the meat with the rub, put in a plastic bag, then let sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour. You can cook the meat with just the rub, or you can marinade the meat in the following marinade (let soak for at least half an hour):

"Creole Marinade"

4-6 crushed or pressed garlic cloves
1 Tbl balsamic vinegar
1/8 tsp rough chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp rough chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp rough chopped fresh oregano
1/2 cup olive or canola oil

Mix and let sit out overnight to blend flavors. Keep in an airtight container until ready to use. Best if used within six months of mixing.

My husband and I also like to brush our "rubbed" steak with the following mop sauce instead of using the marinade:

"Basic Barbeque Mop Sauce" (This is taken from "How to Grill" by Steven Raichlen)

2 cups distilled white vinegar
1 Tbl coarse salt
1 tsp black pepper, or more to taste
1 tsp hot red pepper flakes, or more to taste
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 jalepeno pepper, thinly sliced

Place the vinegar, salt, black pepper, and hot pepper flakes in a nonreactive bowl and whisk until salt dissolves. Stir in the onion and jalapeno. Taste for seasoning, adding black pepper or hot pepper flakes as necessary. Brush on grilled beef, chicken or pork once the outside is cooked. The mop sauce can be made several hours in advance but use it the same day.

NOTE: Don't let all the talk of peppers scare you away from these!! They aren't hot at all, if made just like the recipes say. The peppers just add a nice richness.

O
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
O
"Strawberry Sauce"

I made a very yummy sauce the other night. I was just dying for something sweet, so threw this together. I just ate it like a soup/pudding, but if you can eat ice cream, it would be fantastic on it!!

2 cups fresh strawberries
2 Tbl honey
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp rum extract
1/2 cup water

Heat all ingredients to boiling in a saucepan. Turn heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve hot.

ENJOY!!

I
Ike Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
I
SWISS "FRENCH" SALAD DRESSING

8 servings

1 ts Salt
Fresh-ground pepper
1 ts Mustard
10 fl Olive oil
1 ts Sugar
3 1/2 fl Vinegar
1 Egg, or
2 tb Cream ( Add more if you want)
Stock (This is what gives this dressing it's special flavour - use vegetable or chicken stock)

Blend together all the ingredients except the stock or water in a blender or food processor until quite smooth. Add enough stock or water to give a lightly coating consistency. Put in a screwtop jar and keep in the refrigerator. Use within 3-4 days.

from IFFOT

Edited by ike on 08/02/02 10:27 AM (server time).

AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar
Has anyone tried dipping a veal/chicken/pork escalop in egg and then rolling it in groung almonds and then shallow frying it in butter/olive oil? It's great, and almost as good as breadcrumbs. It certainly dolls up a boring piece of meat!

Chris

One packet of Splenda/Suger Twin is equivalent to 2 teaspoons US of sugar.
Just use Candarel (the UK version of Sugar Twin) - I don't think it matters how much suger goes in (just enough for your own taste). In fact, you can leave out the sugar altogether I suppose.

You can also add fried, browned onions if you want to the mixture, to give your rolls extra flavour. They are even better after sitting in a plastic bag in fridge, I have found - rather good for hamburgers too!....oh, and Yorkshire Puds.

Atkin’s Diet recipes:

http://www.ez-weightloss.com/ez-weightloss/productatkinsbakemix.html

DIET REVOLUTION ROLL
Makes 6 Rolls

Pam Spray
3 eggs separated
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 tablespoons cottage cheese
1 package of Sugar Twin

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Separate eggs very carefully (make sure that none of the yolk gets into the white).

Spray Pam on a teflon cookie sheet.
Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until whites are stiff but not dry.
Fold in yolks, cottage cheese & Sugar Twin. (Be extremely careful not to break down the egg whites. Mix no more than a minute.)
Place the mixture carefully on the teflon cookie sheet, gently putting one tablespoon full on top of another until each "roll" is about 2 inches high. Repeat this until you have 6 piles.
Place the cookie sheet in the oven & bake for about 1 hour.
Rolls should resemble delicatessen rolls.

TOTAL GRAMS: 3.1
GRAMS PER SERVING: .5

------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Review: I was very skeptical about this! How good can a bun made with eggs & cottage cheese be? There's no flour! But I made it and was I ever surprised... they taste very much like a croissant. Don't knock it until you try it!

TUNA Salad

1 6oz cn Chunk light tuna in water
3 tb Mayonaise
2 ts Tarragon Vinagar
2 ts minced capers (i perfer whole)
2 tb minced Chives

Blend well. (better to let sit a while to let tastes combine)
Ike

Chocolate Fantasy Cake from Emeril's New New Orleans Cooking

8 tablespoons (1 stick) plus 1 tablespoon softened unsalted butter, in all
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
5 large eggs, at room temperature, seperated, in all
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 teasppon salt
1 1/2 cups Chocolate Ganache Icing (recipe follows)
Fresh raspberries
Whipped Cream

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch springform pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter, and dust with the four, tapping out any excess.

2. In a metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate with the remaining 8 tablespoons butter and stir occasionally until smooth and creamy. Remove from the heat.

3. In another bowl use an electric mixer to beat the egg yolks together with the sugar and vanilla until thick, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl once or twice, for about 3 minutes. In a third bowl whisk the egg whites with the salt until stiff, for about 2 minutes. Slowly and gently fold the chocolate into the yolk mixture, adding just a little chocolate at a time to keep the eggs from scrambling. Fold in the egg whites.

4. Pour the batter into the springform pan, and bake in the center of the oven until spongy, for about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, remove the springform ring, and place the cake on a rack to cool completely.

5. When the cake is coll, prepare the Chocolate Ganache Icing.

6. To serve, spread the Chocolate Ganache Icing over the cake. Top with raspberries and serve a small wedge with a dollup of whipped cream.

Chocolate Ganache Icicng

8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream

In a metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate with the cream, stirring constantly until smooth. Don't let the mixture boil. Remove from the heat. Use immediately or store, refrigerated, in an airtight container for up to 24 hours. Reheat in the top of a douple boiler.

Deviled Eggs

4 Hard-boiled eggs
1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
1 Tbsp. starch-free mayo
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 pinch paprika for garnish

Peel eggs and cut into halves lengthwise. Remove the yolks and set aside the whites. Put the yolks and remaining ingredients into food processor or mash together with a fork. Refill the whites with this mixture. Garnish with paprika. Have fun experimenting with other ingredients such as green or black olives, green onions, different herbs or seasonings. These work well for snacking.

Awesome Flourless Chocolate Cake

8 large eggs, cold
1 pound semi-sweet chocolate( I use Ghiradelli Double Cholate chips)
2 sticks unsalted butter, cut in chunks
1/4 c. strong coffee or liquer (optional)

1. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Line bottom of 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper and grease pan sides. Cover pan underneath and along sides with sheet of heavy-duty foil and set in large roasting pan. Put on a kettle of water to boil for use later.

2. Beat the eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer until volume doubles to about 1 quart, about 5 mins.

3. Meanwhile melt chocolate, butter and coffee or liquer in a large mixing bowl placed over a pan of barely simmering water until completely smooth. Carefully fold the beaten eggs into the chololate mixture 1/3 at a time, thoroughly folding between each addition.

4. Scrape batter into prepared springform pan and set the roasting pan on the oven rack and pour enough boiling water in roaster to come about half way up the sides of the springform pan. Bake until cake has risen slightly, edges are just beginning to set, a thin glazed crust (like a brownie) has formed on the surface, and an instant read thermometer inserted halfway though the center of the cake registers 140 degrees. About 22 to 25 mins. Remove cake pan from water and cool on wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with a sprinkle of unsweetened cocoa or confectioner's sugar.

HONEY-MUSTARD SALAD DRESSING

3 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 c. cider vinegar
1/2 c. olive or veg. oil

Put all in blender.

ASPARAGUS GRAUTIN
(this recipe is also in the Sinclair book)

1 serving asparagus (or more)
1 tsp. melted butter per serving
2 tsp. parmesan cheese per serving

Peel stems of asparagus with vegetable peeler and steam whole stalks in steamer or small amount of water until crisp-tender. Drain. Place in shallow baking dish and drizzle with butter and sprinkle with cheese. Place under broiler for about 1-2 mins. or until just lightly browned.

2 Tbsp. sliced almonds
4 tsps. olive oil, divided
1 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
1/4 c. water
1 tsp. sugar
dash pepper
1 tsp. lemon juice

In a skillet, saute almonds in 1 tsp. oil until lightly browned, remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute asparagus in the remaining oil for 1 minute. Add water, sugar, salt and pepper, bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 3-4 mins or until asparagus is tender. Drain. Sprinkle with lemon juice and top w/ almonds. 3-4 servings.

1 c. cut fresh asparagus, cut in 1 inch pieces
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. olive or veg. oil
2 tsp. honey
2 tsp. minced fresh parsley (optional)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 c. cubed cooked chicken
1/2 c. diced apple
2 c. torn mixed greens

Cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 3-4 min. Drain and cool. In a bowl combine next six ingredients. Stir in the chicken, apple and asparagus, toss. Serve over greens. 3 servings.

Tasty snack:

Cut up 2 or 3 apples( remove core ), grate or slice your favourite cheese over the top of the apples.
Pop in microwave for no more than 60 seconds on high!
Can sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of cheese to flavour more!

Tony!

This tastes very close to "Dorothy Lynch" dressing. I sometimes substitute the vegetable oil with olive oil or flax oil to get a few extra omegas in there. This is different than other French dressings I've had and I like it much better.

1 small onion, chopped
2/3 c. vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 c.vinegar
2 Tbsp. ketchup
1 1/2 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. celery seed

Put all in blender until smooth. Add a little water and/or decrease oil if you don't like it so thick. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

I discovered this recipe about 5 years ago and it quickly became a standard. I always get requests for the recipe whenever I make it for a potluck.

2 bunches broccoli, cut into bite-size
1large red onion, chopped
1 c. dark raisins
10 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 small handfull of slivered almonds
1/3 c. wine vinegar
1/3 c. sugar ( or about 1/4 c. fructose)
1 1/2 c. mayonaise

Blanch the raisins in hot water for 5 mins. Combine the vinegar, sugar and mayo to make a dressing and pour over all. Refrigerate about 2 hours before serving.

Spicy Asian Slaw (Ike)
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 cups fresh shredded fresh cabbage & carrots
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chopped peanuts or cashews (optional)

COMBINE vinager, soy sauce, sesame oil and pepper flakes in medium bowl; mix well. Add cole slaw mix, raisins and green onions; toss well. CHILL at least an hour or up to a day before serving. Sprinkle with cashews or peanuts if you feel like a nut.

borrowed without permission from label of Sun Maid Raisins

Grilled Tempeh
Soy (only) tempeh (some of the multi grain types idicate for starch)
Marinate with a dressing of your choice (I use Drew's all natural tomatoe & basil as well as many others)

Throw a couple of slice tomatoes on the grill when the tempeh is about half way done) and brush on a little marinade too!

Lighty steam some brocolli... just enough to warm it up.

A very tasty meal!

Tuna Salad
Okay... someone needs to break the ice here. I will by posting a couple of my favorite quick meals... and look a my pancake recipie in an earlier post.

1 can of dolphin safe tuna
Canola oil mayo to taste (I use spectrum brand)
Red Wine Viniger to taste
Garlic powder to taste... I say lots & lots
Fresh or dried basil to taste.... also lots

Serve over a salad or veggies of your choice

This one makes a great lunch to bring to work. If your not going to eat it right away, don't add the vinegar until you are ready to eat it as it looses its flavor if you do.... I don't know why.
Dave

AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar
From Paul--

I've just toasted some mixed nuts in the oven with butter, salt and worchester sauce for that salty-crunchy thang. Aprox. recipe: 2Tbs butter, 2 tsp worchester s., 1 cup each almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, dash salt. Toast in 275 oven for 18 minutes, tossing every 9 or so. Better than nothing.

[reminds me of that great Chex Party Mix most of us miss very much]

A breakfast mainstay for me is a fruit smoothie: Half a banana, 1.5 cup frozen blueberries, raspb. etc, 1 tbs almond butter, 2-3 tbs yoghurt, water to help mix. Savage briefly in a blender.

[As William mentioned a limited number of banana might be tolerated to some extent, especially in this condition].

AS Czar
OP Offline
AS Czar
Title: BORSCHT ENERGY SOUP
Categories: Soups, Vegetarian, Vegetables
Yield: 6 servings

1 md Beet
- scrubbed & cut into chunks
1 md Carrot; sliced
1 md Kirby cucumber
- cut into chunks
1 md Green bell pepper
- seeded & coarsely chopped
1 Lemon; peeled,
- halved, and seeds removed
1 Ripe avocado; peeled,
- stone removed & quartered
1/2 c Spinach leaves (packed)
1/2 c Alfalfa sprouts (packed)
1/2 c Chopped fresh dill
2 tb Bragg Liquid Aminos
1/8 ts Freshly ground black pepper
2 c Vegetable stock; -OR-
-Vegetable bouillon
Alfalfa sprouts, for garnish

In a food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse the beet, carrot,
cucumber, bell pepper, and lemon until finely chopped. Add the avocado,
spinach, alfalfa sprouts, dill, liquid aminos, and pepper. With the machine
running, gradually add the vegetable stock and process until smooth.
Transfer the borscht to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until chilled, at
least 2 hours.
[ed note: Careful with the vegetable stock or bouillon; most commercial preparations are starchy. Also, a dollop of IMO sour cream substitute, or actual sour cream, if tolerated, can add much to this soup, which can be served hot or cold.]
Serve the soup in individual bowls, garnishing each one with alfalfa
sprouts.

Source: May All Be Fed - by John Robbins (including recipes by Jia Patton
and Friends) Typed for you by Karen Mintzias

Active_Member
Active_Member
Spicy Asian dish
Under no nightshades diet laksa was mentioned.
Indonesian sambal is used in this receipe
Here what you can add to laska, curry, and other spicy soups
ingredients: candle nut ( crushed)
kaffir lime leaves (finely chopped)
fish (precooked)
laksa paste or curry paste, sambal paste, chilli (fresh and chopped) or in the form of a paste
sweet potato (sliced)
mushroom (sliced)
any additional herb found on the label of the paste bottle
mint (diced)
laksa leaves (diced)
lemon grass (grounded) and lime juice
coconut milk
onion, garlic, shallots, ginger (all finely chopped)
green leaves (chopped, seperate the stems from leaves)
fried tofu ( sliced)

*Remember to keep stirring the soup while cooking and adding indgredients
soup base
1) place in a pot water, onion, garlic, ginger, candlenuts, kaffir lime, sweet potato and boil. Add the stems.
2) add mint and lemon grass and lime juice when the previous food are cooked. add the leaves in.
3) add the pastes in (do not add too much as they are very hot)
4) add the mushrooms and fried tofu
5) add the shallots and coconut milk
6) if adding any herbs that are not cooked, put them in earlier.
7) add fish
do not overcook the fish
when the dish is well mixed, it is time to serve.
*Remember to keep stirring the soup while cooking and adding indgredients

Note: if time permits you can soak the ingredients in the soup for ten to fifteen minutes before severing the dish. The flavour will be more readily absorbed into the ingredients.

Thanks to the power of infinity for your contribution and keep smiling. Look on the bright side of life!! [smile2]
DragonSlayer #19407 11/30/02 05:19 PM
I
Ike Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
I
Hi All,

Here is a simple recipe for liver and onions in case the one you are use to has flour in it.
I prefer more onions and less boullion than recommended and did not like it with Parmasan cheese. Be careful to overcook.

LIVER AND ONIONS
1 pound of calves or beef liver, 1/4 in thick, cut into thin strips
2 medium onions, sliced
3 tbs beef bouillon
Seasoned salt
Pepper
Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
Remove veins and outer skin of liver and wipe with damp paper towels before cutting into strips. Coat a skillet with nonstick vegetable spray. Saute onions in bouillon until transparent. Add liver strips, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until liver is browned (about 3 min). Sprinkle with grated cheese before serving. Serves 2 to 3.

Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
A good recipe and rave of its virtues....
http://www.foodstyles.com/Soups/homemade_chicken_soup.htm

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/0301/soup.asp suggests independent chinese and jewish folklore may be on track with the chicken...

Ted
proAS_KickAS

Ted

One cannot believe all one reads on the Internet...
Abraham Lincoln
A
Lurker
Lurker
A
crustless veggie pie

2 roma tomatoes
1 orange bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 medium squash
3-4 green zuchini
2 cloves garlic
8 lrg eggs
1/4 cp whole milk
aluminum pie tin
pre-heat oven to 350
any grated cheese

slice zuchini length wise into thin strips, season with S P, and line a pie tin with them (this replaces a flour crust). place in 350 oven while you are chopping veggies into bite sized pieces

beat eggs and season with s p, add veggies to bowl and incorporate into egg mixture, then take zuchini crust out of the oven and add veggie-egg mixture to pie tin and spinkle cheese on top.

Bake for 45 minute at 350

advertisement removed, John

Edited by DragonSlayer on 01/13/05 06:06 PM (server time).

Check out Kinerase
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 90 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM