Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 27 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 26 27
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Quote:

legalized in Michigan yesterday.

sue

NY has decriminalized, only $100 fine if you get caught.

Personally I'm too scared to buy it. I have no clue where to even get it. I'm hoping we'll be the next MM state cause my pain killers aren't cutting it anymore and I'm at a loss as to what to do.

my photos http://www.pbase.com/gardengirl13 avatar is the tattoo I got shortly after getting my AS diagnosis, it says "to be in good health"
M
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
M
tell me how on gods green earth does weed heal arthritis? would probably be better off selling it or trading up for real painkillers?

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
it doesn't "heal arthritis". it would be for the pain. muscle relaxant, etc.

part of the wikipedia page for marijuana states:

"Cannabis is established to help with
Nausea and vomiting, anorexia, and weight loss.

Cannabis is well-confirmed in treating
spasticity, painful conditions, especially neurogenic pain, movement disorders, asthma, glaucoma."

sue

An interesting article I came across:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2008 Jan;9(1):65-75.

Cannabinoids for the treatment of neuropathic pain: clinical evidence.

Ashton JC, Milligan ED.
University of Otago, Otago School of Medical Sciences, Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Dunedin, New Zealand.

Neuropathic pain is a worldwide epidemic that occurs in 3 to 8% of individuals in industrialized countries and is often refractory to existing treatments. Drugs currently available to target neuropathic pain are, at best, moderately effective and include antidepressants, gabapentin, NMDA receptor antagonists, as well as other anticonvulsants, all of which are limited by their adverse-effect profiles. Cannabinoid drugs are emerging as a promising class of drugs to treat neuropathic pain and have been tested for analgesic effects in a range of chronic pain conditions. Data show that cannabinoids are often effective in individuals with refractory pain receiving concomitant analgesic drugs. Clinical studies on cannabinoids for the treatment of neuropathic pain are reviewed, focusing on clinical trials published within the last five years. Data from large, well-controlled studies show that cannabinoids are moderately effective in reducing chronic pain and that side effects are comparable to existing treatments, suggesting that cannabinoids can play a useful role in the management of chronic pain. Like other drugs for neuropathic pain, cannabinoids have a dose titration that is limited by psychoactive side effects. The development of cannabinoid drugs to target neuropathic pain with improved therapeutic ratios will depend upon the development of cannabinoid treatments with reduced psychoactivity.

Another interesting study:

The use of a cannabis-based medicine (Sativex) in the treatment of pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis

click here for the whole article

Oops, that link might not work.... I'll paste the paper below:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The use of a cannabis-based medicine (Sativex) in the treatment of pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis

S. Wright1, M. Ware2 and G. Guy1
1 GW Pharmaceuticals pic, Salisbury, Wiltshire, UK, 2 McGill University, Departments of Anaesthesia and Family Medicine, Montreal, Quebac, Canada

SIR, We were interested to read the report by Blake et al. [1] in your journal.

Between 1998 and 2002 we surveyed a sample of 2969 people with various chronic diseases in the UK, with the aim of investigating the reasons for the medicinal use of cannabis [2]. In that survey, arthritis was reported to be among the five most common reasons for the medicinal use of cannabis, and we reported that of those who had reported using cannabis for the relief of their symptoms, 21% did so specifically for the relief of the symptoms of arthritis. The publication of your recent article prompted us into a review of the data collected, in order to determine what proportion of those respondents suffered from rheumatoid arthritis, and how their symptoms responded to the use of cannabis.

Of the 2969 respondents to the survey, 784 (26%) stated that they had ‘arthritis’. Of these, 247 patients indicated that they suffered from rheumatoid or osteoarthritis (the remainder did not specify). A total of 155 respondents stated that they continued to use illicit cannabis for the purpose of symptom relief. Around 111 of them (46%) had rheumatoid arthritis. Respondents were asked to indicate how their condition was affected by the use of cannabis. Of those patients with arthritis who responded to this question, 172 stated that it made them ‘much better’, 53 stated that it made them ‘a little better’ and five stated that it ‘made no difference’. None of the patients indicated that their arthritis was worsened by the use of cannabis.

Of those respondents who used illicit cannabis for rheumatoid arthritis, 100% indicated that they found it made them either ‘much better’ (72%) or ‘a little better’ (28%). We can conclude from this review of the original data, that the illicit use of cannabis by patients with rheumatoid arthritis is widespread, and that there is anecdotal evidence of effectiveness.

At that time, the authors pointed to the need for clinical studies of quality-controlled cannabis preparations to explore these conclusions in a more scientific and systematic way. We now note that the results of a formal randomized and controlled clinical study of the use of a medicinal grade of a cannabis extract validates this anecdotal evidence of the benefit of cannabinoids in the relief of the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. It will be of considerable interest to observe whether other conditions for which only anecdotal evidence currently exists may be validated in a similar manner in clinical trials of standardized cannabis preparations.

The authors have declared the conflicts of interest as G.G. is the Executive Chairman and founder of GW Pharmaceuticals. M.W. has participated in and received honoraria for CME articles from Bayer, Valeant and Solvay, and has received grants from GW and Valeant. S.W. is a full-time employee of GW.

References

Blake DR, Robson P, Ho M, Jubb RW, McCabe CS. Preliminary assessment of the efficacy, tolerability and safety of a cannabis-based medicine (Sativex) in the treatment of pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology 2006;45:50–2.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
Ware MA, Adams H, Guy GW. The medicinal use of cannabis in the UK: results of a nationwide survey. Int J Clin Pract 2005;59:291–5.[CrossRef][ISI][Medline]

Last edited by Megan; 03/31/09 06:26 AM.
M
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
M
well I tell you the truth you want increased movement and no pain, they should look to LSD with reduced psychoactivity, a good friend of mine suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and he will agree that the pain relief is not like the pain relief of painkillers but rather a more mental approach, ie stress and relaxing, the long term usage though does not help this as your tolerance builds. Still I suppose if it helps you to live and not to want to end your life well then by all means go ahead as has been discussed in here and what seems to be a contineud point is that there are worse things you could do.

iain

M
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
M
sort of say like amitryptiline

Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
Well my "electric" days are long behind me but I would certainly never recommend that any person try acid for pain relief. I'm also convinced that no doctor would ever prescribe it for pain either...not even Owsley or Leary would do anything that foolish...of course they used to.

In my experience, LSD is a very powerful hallucinogen and I've known more than a few people who never quite made it back from their trips completely. I'll take brutal pain any day over becoming an acid-casualty WITH pain.

Just one ex-day-tripper's opinion though

Chris

Silver_AS_Kicker
Silver_AS_Kicker
I wouldn't say that at all.

Chris

M
mig Offline
M
Very wise words Chris. I have one dear friend who never really made it back, also.

Why some do and some don't seems a mystery.

Page 16 of 27 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 26 27

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 113 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM