Hi everyone

Well it was another family get together and I usually try to do the best I can. There are a few family members that I try to avoid because they seem to be oblivious and it is really hard to be around them. The first thing someone does is give me few friendly punches on the shoulder and asks how I am doing. I yelled out and said that really hurt. He then called me a wuss. He knows that I have AS and Fibro and I know I didn't overreact because the throbbing in my shoulder lasted for hours. My pain levels were up and the noise from everyone talking at once stressed me out so I thought I would go in the livingroom, find a comfortable chair and just chill out for awhile. After about ten minutes all the guys decided to come in the room and talk. I got up to get a drink of water and one of the guys sat down where I had been sitting. No problem...stood in the doorway for a few minutes, talked and then went in the sunroom and laid there, trying to join in the conversation from there, got up again and stood in the doorway, trying to stand in a way that wasn't painful. One of the girls who had walked in sat on the brick ledge, looked over and saw that I was not comfortable offered me a seat next to her, I said thanks but the brick is too hard for me to sit on. Everyone else in the room was oblivious.

When we were leaving, she came to me with the look in her eyes that says, yeah, I get it. All I said is I don't need people falling all over me, and I don't want or expect that but a little consideration would be nice every once in a while.

This doesn't happen all the time but it happens enough that I feel like I should reconsider going to family functions because of the pain and lack of adequate accommodations.

Maybe I need to be more assertive but that is not who I am or my style.

I thought I was over these kind of feelings but I guess things like this bother me every once in a while

Thanks for listening to me vent but I really felt like I had to get this off my chest.

Whew!!! I feel better already blush

I can not defeat you but I will not let you win

Jeff

Degenrative disc disease 2005
AS 2008 HLA-B27-
Fibromyalgia 2010
Disability 2012
Back to work part time 2013
Enbrel, Cymbalta,Oxycodone, blah blah blah blah