Yes, they would hurt themselves if they closed the doors. It is not however completely out of the question. I'd imagine they'd be much more likely to sell themselves off in whole or in parts to other companies. Therefore, the outcome of that would be less competition and potentially higher prices. It's like you can't win at every turn.

I'm gonna guess that the justification for selling their stuff to other countries at lesser cost is economies of scale. Again, one possible scenario is that if the U.S. sees a significant decrease in prices, other countries might see a noticeable increase in price.

Quote:
even if it is to shine an equally bright spotlight on all parties

This is an interesting portion of your post. Can I make the assumption that you truly believe that one party is less evil than the other? You don't really need to answer that question as it strays from our topic, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Quote:
Don't agree with the argument that the tax paid by executive CEO's should be considered a plus in regards to using those taxes for socially helpful programs.

Well, they are considered the "rich" aren't they? Based on the logic of the Dems, the rich are supposed to pay for everything (whether they be bombs [war tax] or social programs [healthcare]).

Quote:
3. It would be much better that the same dollars stayed in the hands of the people that need it the most, the ones that need the health care, but can't afford it, every time a dollar passes through another set of hands, somehow some of the money always disappears

The people that need it most wouldn't likely have a need if their money had stayed in their hands from the start. I think the money would be better in the hands of the people that actually earn it, as opposed to say, the government. Also, who determines need?

I concur. Every time a dollar passes through the hands of a layer of government, the money does magically disappear.

Lastly, silly is OK with me. I've been trying hard, but failing more often than I'd like, to keep partisan politics out of my posts. It is sometime difficult to discern the intention of a posted passage (e.g. the comments about Palin).

Kind Regards,
Jay

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom. - Aldous Huxley

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. - Thomas Jefferson