I'm not making an assumption that individuals in low wage jobs without insurance aren't trying hard enough. I am saying that there are many out there that don't take advantage of these opportunities to obtain new skills, better educate themselves, etc. I realize the situation in which some folks find themselves needing to work two or three jobs in support of themselves or of their families. Neither side of the coin is a one size fits all.

I concur with the statement that there are too many spoiled children out there that spend their parents money. Shame on the parents for that one. I find little blame ultimately rests with the children. This may be fodder for another day, but I see it as a result of the disappearance of the family, morals, and values and I don't see this problem reversing any time soon.

Yes, they have adequate health insurance because their parent(s) have employment with an employer that offers health insurance that covers the children. It's not free. They pay for that insurance. If it takes a government entity to cover those whose employer's who don't offer insurance, then apparently that's what needs to happen. However, the taxpaying public should not be required to pay for the entirety of that insurance, especially when they are paying for insurance for their own family. I'm not saying that anyone isn't worthy of health insurance (though, apparently I'm not, due to pre-existing illnesses), I'm just advocating that they help pay for the benefit. Heck, I'm not even advocating that individuals of lesser economic means pay for the entire amount of the premium. However, I find it wrong that they (those that are able to earn) don't pay one cent toward any health insurance from which they benefit.

Regarding your example of the woman with three children. She, in your example, is trying plenty hard. An example similar to this is an unfortunate situation indeed. However, I'd like to understand why the woman would continue, after having the first child, having children with a man who had no inclination to support his family. Personally, I find it atrocious to bring a child into this world if you are not going to take care of them. I'd argue that this woman erred by continuing to have children with this man. It's possible that a situation could have arisen after all three children were born, but I'm guess that the signs were there and the woman chose to ignore them.

I'm not the judge of real world applicability university degrees regarding employment, and I'm definitely not saying that people who pursue those degrees are not worth their salt. If I implied that about people that pursued arts, humanities, etc. degrees, I'd would have been without some good friends earlier in life. I don't measure an individual by material things (including university degrees). All I'm saying is that those who pursue degrees that don't substantiate sustainable employment at some reasonable time after exiting university and expect the taxpayer to support their existence...forget about it. We all make choices in life. There is nothing fair and just about one individual subsidizing/supporting another individual who decides to pursue a career/field of work that may not support their well being because that is their creative aspiration. That reeks of servitude. Decisions have consequences. Just because Joe got an accounting degree and is employed in a job with health benefits does not mean he should subsidize Jack's health insurance premiums since Jack chose to study creative water colors and now, after university, is working at a job offering only marginal wages with no health insurance since the degree he chose didn't enable him with the knowledge or skill set for a job offering benefits similar to Joe's.

Agreed on the useless statement and wasted opportunities.

Also, I am cognizant of throwing stones that find me on their way down. I've needed help and have been extremely thankful for help I received, regardless of the significance. I find myself in a bit of a pickle right now. I'm getting a lot of help from those where I thought I might get it. I'm not getting help from those whose job it is to help us. When the help runs out, if I can't help myself by then, it's sink or swim. There are choices that I've made along the way. I'll have to live, or perhaps perish, by them.

Understand, I'm not dark-hearted as you might think. I don't want to see anyone suffer. I don't want anyone to be without access to necessary healthcare. Government takeover of health insurance is another issue. However, I don't believe it is right for something earned by one individual to be taken away and given to another by means of a third party.

Kind Regards,
Jay

Almost all of us long for peace and freedom; but very few of us have much enthusiasm for the thoughts, feelings, and actions that make for peace and freedom. - Aldous Huxley

Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now. - Thomas Jefferson