From todays Guardian:

Adalimumab could help prevent care home residents from having to go to hospital with coronavirus.
Sarah Boseley Health editor
Wed 30 Sep 2020

A commonly used arthritis drug is to be trialled with care home residents who have Covid, after it was observed that those taking it for their joint pains were less likely to end up in hospital with the virus.

Older people in care homes, who often have some degree of dementia, tend not to do well in hospital, where they become more confused and may pick up infections. The trial will break new ground by giving the drug to people at care homes, where they can be supervised and monitored afterwards by doctors and nurses.

The drug, adalimumab, has been in use for 20 years and there are cheap versions available all over the world. It is an anti-tumour necrosis factor (anti-TNF) drug, which is used to reduce inflammation in arthritis and bowel disease. In the severe stages of Covid-19, patients can suffer from a “cytokine storm” – an overreaction of the body’s immune system, causing an inflammatory response.

“The motivation here was that residents of care homes were particularly badly hit in the first wave of the pandemic,” said Duncan Richards, professor of clinical therapeutics at the University of Oxford, which is running the trial.

He added: “Many residents of care homes have a care plan that does not involve them going into hospital, which for these people is unlikely to have a good outcome. That has led some people to think they shouldn’t be treated and we disagree with that. We need a treatment or an intervention that is appropriate to that environment, in a context where going to hospital is unlikely to be in their best interests.”

'Then you should say what you mean,' the March Hare went on. 'I do,' Alice hastily replied; 'at least - at least I mean what I say - that's the same thing , you know.' 'Not the same thing a bit!' said the Hatter.