In December 2018 I posted here asking others if they had experienced unintentional weight loss due to AS. I suspect that I have AS and my symptoms have been mild over the last 4 yrs since they began. Basically I started to gradually lose weight...nothing major but I was already lean at 6'3" 166lbs. I made no diet changes and over 11 months lost 14lbs. Not a lot weight but I was eating more and lifting weights so this was odd. Saw my doctor and we tested for EVERYTHING and all tests were normal. Also saw a naturopath...test results showed gut dybiosis, leaky gut (very elevated zonulin), and SIBO. SIBO was a surprise since I had zero gut issues.
Tried treating SIBO thinking that was causing my weight loss but failed per subsequent breath tests. Hydrogen numbers kept getting higher after treatments.
I did both herbal/low fodmap and then 2 rounds of antibiotic treatments (both failed)
So on January 1st, 2019 I began the SCD diet but including some of the forbidden foods(pure coconut milk, sauerkraut ) since I didn't have any GI issues. SCD diet was the early treatment for SIBO (before antibiotics and low fodmap) plus I wasn't convinced that I had SIBO. I read my weight loss could be a malabsorption issue or maybe leaky gut. My main symptom other than the mild AS symptoms was daily brain fog which generally came on after eating.
Since I was cutting out high starch foods I focused on eating lots of good fats to help mitigate any further weight loss. I also kept my calories around 3,000/day which I had already been doing.
I maintained the SCD diet strictly for 5 months and was slowly gaining muscle. After 5 months I did have a few cheats here and there only if I was traveling. I continued the diet for a total of 9 months. I was lifting weights to support a healthy weight gain (although I had always been lifting regularly before with no gain) I am happy to report that I am 20lbs(all muscle) heavier now.
I am not strictly eating SCD now and have added more starches. It doesn't seem to make a difference in my weight. The cool thing is that I eat the same amount of calories as when I was weighing 152 but now weigh 172 which is actually 6lbs heavier than when the weight loss began. I suspect that I weigh more now than post weight loss is because my gut is finally absorbing my food.
*I also took colostrum, drank bone broth regularly (home made), and took Restore to really focus on healing leaky gut.
Now my brain fog is almost completely gone. Although I do suspect I may have a fructose issue. It seems I get foggy/fatigued after eating some fruits and sweet potatoes. I continue to take Restore and have noticed a difference in mental clarity while taking it. It also keeps you super regular with healthy bowels.
I would say that my AS symptoms have lessened but they are still there but again very mild.
I did not take any probiotics but did eat the SCD 24hr homemade yogurt and ate lots of high quality sauerkraut.
I do plan to a strict SCD protocol for a month or two again this year for "insurance".
Hope this information helps someone. Thanks for reading! HB