Hey John,

First, a HUGE apology for not replying sooner! Wow I am really sorry about that.

Whenever I posted here in the past I would get an email notification as soon as there was a reply but I never got any this time. I just assumed that nobody has dealt with a similar situation and/or had nothing to add. Today I just thought I’d have a peek to see what’s new and was very surprised to see that in fact I did get a couple of replies. Again, I am very sorry.

Secondly, thanks for taking the time to share with me your point of view.

Quote:
I'm usually driving with my wife and/or friend who both know to be backseat drivers always.

LOL...I completely relate! Although it doesn’t happen often there is 3-4 people who will ask me for a ride sometimes. ALL of them are so used to how I am that without me even asking they will always tell me whether it’s “clear” or not and when I can “go” at any intersection. They know I am able to look both ways when I need to but after watching me do the AS version of The Twist from the drivers seat I imagine it gets a little awkward so I suppose it’s there little way to try to help (or it’s just outright fear for their own safety!!!). Still, we always have the same friendly talk afterwards; I will offer thanks but then gently remind them that I don’t need the ‘assist’. They generally reply that they know this and will stop doing it. I end up feeling bad and then give my usual excuse that “It’s not that I don’t trust you, it’s just that it’s to scary for me to take someones word for it without looking myself and then just pulling out on to a road!”.
Rinse and repeat at the next intersection! lol

Quote:
Some odd angles require just this, so it is rather daunting.

Oh this I very much comprehend! My Achilles heel are those intersections where the turning lane is curved but a full stop (eg. traffic light or stop sign) is required first before proceeding, or...curved merge lanes and very short on-ramps. I’m sure you know exactly what I mean. Basically any scenario where your vehicle ends up turned just enough that simply looking 90º left or right is not enough but the vehicle hasn’t turned quite enough for you to be able to see using your side mirrors!
LOL...these examples are the only time I really do welcome a passenger assist! (Just so that anyone reading this doesn’t get the wrong impression...I am able to look over my shoulder even in this type of situation if I absolutely have to...it just takes monumental effort on my part and is not pleasant at all!)

I love your description of driving in the Philippines! You made me remember seeing a show once that had something to do with taking North American truckers and having them drive trucks throughout India. It was INSANE! I don’t know if that would be similar but that’s what you have me envisioning now, lol!

I really don’t have the option to just stop driving as you did. Honestly, these aren’t excuses but 1) there is no Uber service where I live (Northern Ontario, Canada), 2) No public transportation (though I now wonder if the gov’t provides some type of public transport for the disabled and if so, if I would qualify. I have occasionally seen those wheelchair accessible short busses dropping people off or picking them up at places like our local grocery store...so that makes me think maybe), 3) I think I mentioned in my OP that I live in a very rural area. I’ve never used a taxi here before but I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if a round trip fare to town and back would cost $50 or more, easily! Also, that would only be a basic trip to our solitary grocery store. It would be significantly more for the trips to my doctor appt.’s and all the other little odds and ends we all have to do in life. Our local taxi company would certainly love all the new business; my bank account...not so much!!

I really do love your idea of going the route (lol @ your pun!) of the Tesla and I’ve even watched some videos online about them. That is something I would absolutely consider one day but right now the technology isn’t there yet for ferrying unlicensed passengers around.

I’m happy to see that you share my sentiment about how my doctor handled this. I was pretty damn sure that most people if in my shoes would feel the same way but it’s nice to have that confirmed, too, and to know that I’m not the one being unreasonable here. In fact I had made an appt. to discuss this with him and that takes place next week...so I will update here as soon as I get back from that.

Quote:
I hope You find a way out of Your situation! There were a few years I drove without a licence...

Ya I’ve really thought about this for the last month. Luckily I haven’t had to go anywhere and thankfully I was well stocked on groceries and pretty much anything else I may have needed. Hopefully I’ll have this resolved in a positive way myself before I end up at the point where I will have to consider taking the same risks you did. I’m not sure our local police would be as cool as the one you encountered!

Thanks again John. I’ll update as soon as I can,

-Pat