Hi, I am looking for diagnosis help about Lyme arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis, or good doctors to recommend to me for the diagnosis. I am in New Jersey. Thank you so much.

Recent history of illness:
April 2013: had Bell's palsy on the right side April 27, my neurologist saw no other neuro symptoms. took steroid for 7 days (gradually reduced amount), symptoms completely went away in 3 weeks, did not feel pain or tiredness anywhere, No rashes, did not suspect Lyme. I had a hot towel cover my face for 1 min half a day before symptoms of Bell's palsy started, that might be part of the reason.

From July 2: felt soreness in right ankle when playing tennis, stopped for days but symptom did not go away. I don't remember any tick bites recently and nor do I have "bull's-eye" rashes.

From July 13: felt soreness in both ankles and both knees, symmetric, but not swollen, mild heat in lower legs.

From July 20: additionally, felt pain in sacroiliac joints and hips, and pain in hip muscles and back muscles, still soreness and pain in both knees and ankles.

From July 26: in addition to continuous pain in the sacroiliac joints and hips, shoulders and elbows start to feel mild pain and soreness.

July 26 morning: muscle cramp in right lower leg for only 5 seconds and then recovered

July 27: in addition to other symptoms above, spotted pain in the back and front of middle site of the spine.

Most of my pains are symmetric.

Went to see my family physician on July 20, suspecting ankylosing spondylitis (AS) or rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Did blood test. Results showed: negative for HLA-B27, negative for Rheumatoid Factor, low for C reaction protein, high for Lyme Ab 2.43 (<0.91negative, >1.09positive), Lyme Ab IgM also high, 1.54 (<0.91 negative, >1.09positive). Further Western blot from BioResources Lab shows below:

negative for all IgG bands 18, 23, 28, 30, 39, 41, 45, 58, 66, 93.
Negative for IgM band 23 and IgM band 39.
But only one Positive band for IgM band 41.

In the report it says "Lym IgG Interpretation: Negative, Lym IgM Interpretation: Negative"

Based on this, my family physician declined to diagnose it as Lyme Disease, and is suspecting ankylosing spondylitis (AS). But my X-ray did not support AS. So she is not prescribe me any medicine. She asked me not to take any amoxicillin. Just take some NSAID. But the NSAID may only relieve my pain just a little bit.

Any of your opinions are appreciated.

Last edited by DS2013; 07/27/13 10:59 PM.