Hi again Wendy - Just come on for a half hour odd. Yes, cortisone is 'never' injected *into the tendon, it is injected into the joint space. Cortisone does 'not' 'tighten' up tendons, it holds inflammation! Now, IF a Dr injecvts *into the tendon he will/could create unholy damage to that tendon, by burning it out. All such injections are injected into the joint space, that is why all such injections should ONNLY be done under ultrasound guidance, as even in the hands of the very BEST orthopod, such an injection only has a chance of 70% success rate - i.e. 30% failure rate!

Better to use Hyaluronic Acid, Osternil, instead of cortisone. Please see shoulderdoc.co.uk for info on cortisone injections into the shoulder. Prof Funk has a deal of information on cortisone injections into the sjoulder.

The problem with cortisone injections into the shoulder is thqat they are soooo *popular, have 'always' been done - and so the blind go on leading the blind. Gotta do what we have always done syndrome. Thoughtless.

Cortisone is a different kettle of fish for the SI, knee, elbow. Should still only be done under ultrasound guidance, and no more than three in any one year. Can still do damage, as does burn out tendons etc etc, but not so dangerous as haveing cortisone into the shoulder.

It is the shoulder that is such a delicate beast - and the most mobile joint in the body. Needs additional and very careful care. Unfortunately, Drs prefer to take the easy road. Sigh.

TG I have NO hesitation in giving em the verbal boot!

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS