Hi Christina and everyone else out there! This is my first post, so I hope I do it correctly....

In september of 2005 my 16 yr old son was finally diagnosed with AS. For about 18 months of chasing various aches and pains and even shoulder surgery. During a follow up to the shoulder surgery we were expressing our concerns about Drew's "pulled groin" he had obtained during a wrestling tournament 6 months earlier. They checked him 3 times for a hurnia thinking that was the problem. After I instisted our family doctor order an mri of the pelvic and groin area, the surgeon felt we needed to see an arthritis doctor to "rule out" his suspicions of AS.
Short version - they tested him and yes indeed he had all indictions of AS. He was already taking Mobic, so they increased the dosage. In the meantime, I did what many people do, I got on the internet and spent hours and hours reading up on AS. Drew's symptoms were getting worse with rib pain, ankle swelling, foot pain, jaw pain and horrible hip and lower back pain. He was walking like a little old man. It was awful to watch. When we went back to the doctor he put him on Prednesone and Sulfazine in addition to the Mobic.

In the research we found the no starch diet information and decided it was worth a try! Drew made a decision to follow the no starch to the T. We tested everything! Within 3 days the swelling in his ankle was gone and he wasn't hurting as bad. In 5 days the pain was nearly gone. Shortly after than he was pain free and to this day about 2 months later he is completely pain free.

I would like to see him go off the medicine, but he is not sure if that is the best thing to do. Drew gets up at 4:30 every morning and heads off to the gym to lift weights. He has high school wrestling practice after school for a couple of hours. He is now doing very very well and hopes to make it to the state tournament in February. He wants to wait until after that time to cut back on the meds and test adding or re-introducing some foods. His 1 slip up was eating a brownie about 2 weeks ago. He had some discomfort for about 3 days.......

If anyone is thinking about trying the no starch diet, I feel it is the most wonderful thing we have found thus far. I can't tell you as a mother how greatful I am to see him bounce out of bed and participate in the sport of his dreams. Best of luck to anyone who tries this way of life.

I would love to hear from those who have cut back on meds and how it went.....

Cheryl