Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#511638 - 07/03/15 04:13 PM Re: Gut healing protocol supplements any thoughts [Re: Staffy]
Grumpyally Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker

Loc: UK
I decided to risk the milk kefir but with raw milk. I ferment it for 48 hours too to make sure the lactose has been broken down and according to the book there are some strains in it that break down the casein so people with intolerances may tolerate it (homemade).

I don't actually know if I am lactose and casein intolerant just think I am better off without 'dairy'

I think it has done me good, I tried making it with coconut milk (homemade coconut milk) and found it too acidic however I think I let it ferment too long forgetting it wasn't dairy.

x

Edited by Grumpyally (07/04/15 01:50 AM)

'Chew your drinks and drink your foods'
'Let your knife & fork do the work of your teeth and let your teeth do the work of your stomach'
Mahatma Gandhi

#511642 - 07/04/15 12:01 PM Re: Gut healing protocol supplements any thoughts [Re: Grumpyally]
miniowl Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker

I don't want to make you nervous about the supplements from Amazon. I'm sure lots of them are fine! She was just mentioned that about Klaire Labs

#511801 - 07/20/15 01:17 PM Re: Gut healing protocol supplements any thoughts [Re: Grumpyally]
miniowl Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker

Just wanted to update this-

I've been feeling OK still (little stiff and tired but no major complaints) w a no starch diet. My supplements still include the biofilm disruptor Interfase as well as caprylic acid and grapefruit seed extract for an infection found by a csda test in the large intestine.

I was trying to add in more "adventurous" food thinking that the most diverse diet I could eat would be the best, so I started eating things like small amounts of cooked broccoli, small amounts of amylopectin only white rice, and taking lots of probiotics both as food and supplements. I noticed that I ended up with a very distended belly, lots of GI discomfort. I'm self diagnosing here but I think it maybe SIBO. (Maybe I've had it and didn't notice on a really strict diet, maybe it's another result of my food poisoning back in March) Whatever the case may be, I think my approach moving forward must really limit anything that might ferment in the small intestine. It's probably a good idea to get a breath test and see a doctor but I am finding that it is really hard to find a good practitioner that isn't super $$$$. I may just research protocols and implement one myself and then I can update how that goes too, haha!

In general, I wonder if SIBO is an underdiagnosed, underlying problem for a lot of people with AS.

#511803 - 07/20/15 02:53 PM Re: Gut healing protocol supplements any thoughts [Re: miniowl]
Grumpyally Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker

Loc: UK
Hi,

I cant say I have noticed a difference yet with the suppplements though I do feel the lactoferrin is doing me good.
I kind of came off the wagon this last week started by a family celebration where someone actually baked me some cake that I could eat that is until I stopped eating eggs. So I was so touched I ate some and then more plus the leftovers she left with me frown They were also covered in whippped (sweetened) cream. So after depriving myself trying to go AIP it all went to pot. I had felt I wasnt improving but since this week I realise I was its back to easily pulled muscles all down my back again. Funny how you forget so easily what you had and dont notice the small improvements!

I have wondered about the sibo link. I dont have any symptoms of sibo but like you wonder if they are masked because we are already on a relevant eating plan. I am also now wondering if I am low histamine but cant face further limiting food. I would think the rice would be the culprit for you I have read conflicting advice on resistant starch with relation to klebsiella at least.

An interesting thing I came across today was that someone had been diagnosed with an overgrowth of klebsiella (non AS as far as I know) Their practitioner has told them to go no starch but also cut out fruit and go on an anti candida diet too I wonder what the relation with candida is. They have also thus far been prescribed nystatin (medication) and berberine. Berberine was one I was thinking of adding but hadnt found anything in relation to its effectiveness against klebsiella yet.

'Chew your drinks and drink your foods'
'Let your knife & fork do the work of your teeth and let your teeth do the work of your stomach'
Mahatma Gandhi

#511815 - 07/22/15 06:26 PM Re: Gut healing protocol supplements any thoughts [Re: Grumpyally]
miniowl Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker

Ahh yes, very hard to resist when people try to cook for you! I'm sorry you ended up feeling bad and I totally relate to that feeling of realizing you weren't doing too badly until things slide backwards.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
New issues
by Gman1970
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Confused - AS
by jay_bharat
08/18/17 03:45 AM
Mayo clinic
by jay_bharat
08/17/17 05:48 AM
Headaches from Humira