Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#520435 03/27/21 06:57 PM
W
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
W

I wonder if there is any information available on the effect of the various Covid vaccines on AS. The little information I’ve found all relates to the vaccine and various medication taken for AS, not the effect on AS itself.
I am eligible for my vaccine in about a week, but I don’t know which vaccine I will be offered. Right now, I am a bit hesitant. Although I am not high risk, I would like to get the vaccine, but not if it has a negative effect on my current AS condition.

I’ve had pretty debilitating/career changing AS for about 40 years now. However, I have been free of any symptoms for the last 6 years. I don’t take any medication (never did) other than a low starch diet, Curcumin and Psyllium Husk and daily workouts. I’ve even been able to reduce my (severe) Uveitis episodes from 5-6 per year for many years, to zero episodes for over 5 years with just simple natural remedies.

I’ve been getting used to a ‘normal’ active lifestyle the last years, and do not want to disturb the current status quo. Based on my current understanding, I would not take the vaccine because of the unknown effect on AS. The last thing I want it to activate the AS again.
William

AS Czar
AS Czar
Hi, William:

Glad the diet is working for You! Other people with AS have had various other vaccinations. One person I am aware about suffered severe inflammation, albeit temporary.

IF I were going to get the jab, it would be Johnson & Johnson because of the positive reports people have given in general and besides, it requires no booster.

HEALTH,

John

Superior_AS_Kicker
Superior_AS_Kicker
Vaccinated with no effect- Some of my family has had mild effects after second vaccine with slight fervor and weakness out of 9 of us 3 had no effect 6 had some of these conditions after the second shot only lasted for a day.

L
Imperial_AS_Kicker
Imperial_AS_Kicker
L
Hey,
I got my second Pfizer shot yesterday. It was the only option where I got vaccinated. I've had arm pain and fever and aches with each shot but they went away in a day. My friend working on data collection at the CDC said I might have more side effects since I had Covid a year ago...I still have antibodies and have tested negative every time I test, which is every couple weeks.
I have had Long Covid symptoms....diagnosed with post infectious IBS and chronic fatigue...I need naps!
Hope this helps
Peace
Linc

Linc O'Brien
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I had my first AstraZeneca jab at the end of February and will have the second at the end of the month. My arm ached pretty badly the first couple of days, but I was fine. My husband, who is also a spondy and has several other underlying conditions had his AZ in mid-February and will have his second in two weeks. He had fatigue for a few days.

There are several other ASers I'm in touch with who have had it and one felt headachy for a day or two, another felt achy and fatigued for several days and another who had little trouble at all.

Hope that helps.

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker
I just wanted to add my voice here, as before I was vaccinated I was very nervous about it. I had an experience with a tetanus shot that activated my immune system (AS pain for months despite keeping strict NSD). I got the Johnson and Johnson vaccine with no issues at all. I know it is in temporary recall, but I would do it again, as blood clots are MUCH more common with Covid than this vaccine. I will use the same one as a booster if offered. If not, I guess I will have to see how I do with the others.

Good luck!
Stacey

Last edited by light; 04/22/21 10:58 PM.
J
New_Member
New_Member
J
I went off Enbrel 2 wks before Pfizer, both times and stayed off 2 wks afterwards. Neither shot gave me any issues whatsoever. Similar to flu shot annually . My wife, healthy and no issues, took the Moderna. Some effects 1st shot. 2nd shot, 2.5 days in bed. Totally wiped out. Fever, chills, aches. I have NONE, amazing that I've had AS for almost 40Y.

I
I
Hi everyone, I would be extremely grateful to hear about experiences from anyone who has had both shots of the Pfizer vaccine and who, like me, has an existing diagnosis of Ankylosing Spondylitis (HLA B27+) and/or Uveitis and ideally, and not taking immunosuppressants. I guess we are probably a very small subset of the population!
I had my first Pfizer shot on 22 June and apart from a sore arm, I had no other symptoms. A stronger reaction is often noted after the second dose of Pfizer, and that is booked for 20 July, in just a week's time. I am a little nervous, as there is little data on the longer term effects on people with inflammatory autoimmune conditions.

Rheumatologists are recommending we have both jabs. At least, the ones here are. I know several KAers that have had both Pfizer and both Moderna. They are fine. Also, not everyone has a super bad reaction to the second shot. Some do, yes. But some don't. So, it's really up to how your body processes the vaccine.

At this point the vaccines are still too new to have assessed people with autoimmune disease, but I have read there are studies either planned, or beginning.

I hope that helps.

Kat

A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
"Strictly Ballroom"

Q
Lurker
Lurker
Q
Hi

I have HLA-B27 Ankylosing Spondylitis and received my first dose in March 2021 in the UK of Pfizer.

I believe that my response to vaccination has caused a significant flare in multiple joints.

However, I suspect that if I had caught COVID the situation would have been at least the same if not worse so I do not regret getting the vaccination. My body would have been full or both virus and antibodies if I had caught covid.

I am convinced any strong immune response can cause flares in my AS.

Due to physical activity I have been almost symptom-free for about 5 years (apart from the odd Uveitis attacks) so I have not yet been started on methotrexate or anti-TNF yet but this may change if my symptoms do not subside.

I am currently week 1 of the lowe starch diet and there is no doubt that my symptoms are calming down but I need to be patient and see where it goes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,359,842 hmmm
1,318,621 OMG!!!!
708,474 PARTY TIME!