Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MarkyT Offline OP
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
M
Hello all,

I have not been here in a long time. My AS is fairly under control without diet or any medication but I was recently diagnosed with UC. My pathology says "chronic colitis" but the GI diagnosed it as UC. I asked him if AS and UC are they related and he did not have an answer.

I also recently had a rheumatology appointment and the rheumatologist said that they are related but from what I have read most people get Chrohn's with AS and not UC so I am just confused how I even developed the UC in the first place.
Only logical explanation is Klebsiella. I have not been following the NSD in a very long time but I might start it again.

Hope is all well with everyone!

Last edited by MarkyT; 08/14/20 12:15 AM.
AS Czar
AS Czar
WELCOME back, MarkyT:

Everyone with AS has a compromised intestinal tract (especially described as "Crohn's-like microlesions"). And people with UC can experience identical symptoms as those we have in AS.

Crohn's is related to AS; it is the same cause and mechanism but most people with Crohn's are HLA B27 negative, apparently.

So I am certain there is a connection between AS and UC and also that HLA B27 is absolutely not the entire genetic story; just the one we know the most about.

HEALTH,
John

M
MarkyT Offline OP
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
M
Thank you DragonSlayer! I ordered the GI map stool test and I am very curious what the results are going to be. If there is an abundance of Klebsiella I will start the NSD. Also I read that there are couple of other bacterias that might cause colitis so the results will tell. When I get the results from the test back I will come back and post it.

Thank you for the help once again and good health to you as well!

AS Czar
AS Czar
Hello, MarkyT

Originally Posted By MarkyT
If there is an abundance of Klebsiella I will start the NSD.

Regret the Klebsiella pneumoniae tests are not very accurate because we react badly to levels of this germ that the average person does not. And the test only provides a statistical snapshot relative to the general population, in sigma or deviation from mean.

It is like peanut allergy: 200 children will not react but 3 might have some varied reactions and one child will die (just by way of example; not actual numbers). It takes very few germs to trigger AS in the roughly 3.5% percent of us who have AS.

Thank You--I am pretty stable now, knock on wood!

HEALTH,
John

J
Active_Member
Active_Member
J
Hi MarkyT, in Rebecca Fett's book, The Keystone Approach, she mentions the connection between the spondyloarthropathies and gut inflammation. I don't have the book with me right now to confirm this before writing my reply, but I seem to recall that she said that most people with spondyloarthropathy have gut inflammation (often sub-clinical), and that most people with gut inflammation will go on to develop some form of arthritis at some stage in their lives. So it works both ways and there seems to be a very strong correlation.

It is a book well worth reading, very well referenced with scientific documents.

Lastly, it seems that ecoli can present with similar symptoms in some people.

Hope that helps,
Jane

Spondyloarthropathy with symptoms of AS, Sjögrens and fibro. Previously took Celebrex, Methotrexate, Trepiline, Prednisone which seemed to trigger a flare and my illness became much worse. Symptoms now kept mostly under control with NSD, as well as cutting sugar, dairy and yeast and food intolerances. Mostly pain free now and all symptoms massively improved.
M
MarkyT Offline OP
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
M

M
MarkyT Offline OP
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
M
Just like DragonSlayer said test did not detect any Klebsiella, but there seems to be couple of issues with different bacteria that was detected.

Janclebro hello, i actually have the Keystone Approach book but have not read it yet, but based on reviews seems like a great book. I will read it and see what approach to take from there on.

J
Active_Member
Active_Member
J
The first thing that strikes me is your low levels of Clostridia. This is key! You will find it mentioned in The Keystone Approach. Low levels of Clostridia have been implicated in the spondyloarthropathies as well as RA. In fact Jansen Pharmaceuticals are apparently developing a probiotic for us containing the strains of Clostridia we need. Meanwhile, the best way to build them up is by focusing on bifidobacteria which produce butyrate, which will help heal the gut and build up the levels of healthy Clostridia. You've probably had it explained that your high levels of faecal calprotectin are because of the inflammation in your gut. That book is so helpful and such an excellent read, MarkyT!

S
New_Member
New_Member
S
Have any of you tried eating fermented foods and lots of fibre to correct gut issues?

J
Active_Member
Active_Member
J
I'm a big believer in fermented foods, but am sensitive to yeast and they really don't agree with me. For the same reason I avoid the probiotic saccharomyces boulardii which is generally regarded as very helpful.

Fibre - yes. And I think the fermented food route to be an excellent one!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,692 hmmm
1,319,572 OMG!!!!
709,183 PARTY TIME!