Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#520074 - 03/09/20 07:27 PM Cholesterol Levels on LSD AS Diet
ynot Offline

I have been on a LSD AS diet for many years. I also take Omega 3 fish oil supplements and eat lots of anti inflammatory foods and stay away from known inflammatory foods. I don't drink or smoke. I had a Lipid Panel blood test the other day that indicates high total cholesterol and high dLDL. I was surprised by the unexpected results considering my healthy lifestyle.

These are my numbers: Total 240(high), Triglycerides 81(normal), HDL 40(normal), dLDl 184(high), vLDL 16(low), Risk Factor 6.0(high).

I am curious if others on AS diets have had their cholesterol levels checked, and what are your results? I am also baffled because vLDL and triglycerides are low, so why is the dLDL so high. Is this common in our diets? I asked about getting an ldl-p test, but doctor does not think it is relevant. "Your Atypical" is a phrase I hear all the time from my doctors, so is this just another anomaly?

Edited by ynot (03/09/20 07:29 PM)
Edit Reason: spell check

#520075 - 03/09/20 07:42 PM Re: Cholesterol Levels on LSD AS Diet [Re: ynot]
jroc Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker

Loc: New Zealand
Increased LDL levels occur when saturated fat and dietary cholesterol are increased.

This often happens on a low-starch diet when carbohydrate intake is decreased and meat, egg and fat intake is increased.

- http://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=519895#Post519895
- http://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=506133#Post506133

It's possible to eat a higher fat diet that doesn't increase LDL, it just needs to be high in polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats and low in saturated fats.

Around a quarter of people are hyperresponders to dietary cholesterol so if you were in that group then reducing egg intake would help bring LDL levels down.

#520076 - 03/09/20 08:26 PM Re: Cholesterol Levels on LSD AS Diet [Re: jroc]
ynot Offline

Thank you. The only meat I have eaten for the last 30 years has been chicken & turkey breast (skinless), and I eat a lot of salmon and tuna. I soak my veggies in extra virgin olive oil. Maybe you are right about the eggs? I eat a lot of eggs, but I only have 1 egg yolk a day and the rest is egg whites only. Breakfast is usually 1 egg, 3 egg whites, scrambled in with a whole avocado. I used to only eat the whites, but the yolk is so rich in vitamins.

I read on docsopinion: "... the large and fluffy type of LDL may be protective....... the higher your triglycerides, the greater the number of small LDL particles. Conversely, the lower your triglycerides, the higher the number of large, fluffy LDL particles."

I am wondering, since my triglycerides are low, do I have a high number of the large fluffy ldl? What does it mean "may be protective"? Is this another positive affect of the diet, or just wishful thinking? This is why I am trying to get a ldl-p test to answer part of my inquiry.

#520077 - 03/09/20 10:51 PM Re: Cholesterol Levels on LSD AS Diet [Re: ynot]
jroc Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker

That sounds like a pretty low intake of saturated fat so it might be the eggs. If you used to only eat the whites but then added in one yolk per day then that could have made a difference as the dietary cholesterol dose-response curve is most sensitive when baseline intake is low and then flattens off at higher intakes.

As far as LDL particle size goes, from what I've read large LDL particles may be slightly less pathogenic than small dense particles but not protective.

The other thing you could try is to adding in foods that have been found to reduce LDL such as apples and flaxseed.

- Two apples a day lower serum cholesterol... crossover tria
- Dietary flaxseed independently lowers ci... artery disease

#520079 - 03/10/20 07:34 AM Re: Cholesterol Levels on LSD AS Diet [Re: jroc]
ynot Offline

Okay. Thanks for the info. I will cut out the egg yolk and add more apples to the diet. Except for the cholesterol issue, the diet has been very good for me.

#520090 - 03/25/20 04:53 PM Re: Cholesterol Levels on LSD AS Diet [Re: ynot]
ynot Offline

I had a new lipid profile done a week after the first with a different lab. The numbers are down a bit. Total 204, hdl 40, triglycerides 38, ldl-c 156. PCP still wants to start statins.

I have just become a little fascinated with lipidology and found some good information. I am especially impressed with Dr. Peter Attia. Here is a link to his 9 part series, The Straight Dope on Cholesterol:

https://peterattiamd.com/the-straight-dope-on-cholesterol-part-i/

Week III & IV seem to be the best to read regarding the importance of LDL and LDL-p (particle size). He explains how ldl-p size is much more important than ldl total count. There is a lipid blood test called NMR (shown in week III)that measures ldl size & quantity. The test also provides risk factors including insulin resistance. I suspect that I have large ldl-p size based on my very low trigs. After the health crisis returns back to some normalcy, I will find a lab that can send out for an NMR lipid test.

I think this is relevant to all of us that are on nsd, lsd, lchf, AS and other alternative diets. This NMR lipo profile can give us more information to help assess how our alternative diets are doing.

#520091 - 03/25/20 10:26 PM Re: Cholesterol Levels on LSD AS Diet [Re: ynot]
jroc Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker

Good to hear the levels have come down a bit.

In the majority of cases, higher LDL-c concords with higher LDL-p which concords with higher ApoB. It's possible that you could have discordance between LDL-c and LDL-p or ApoB, though discordance is mainly found in individuals with metabolic syndrome or those already taking statins. Good idea to test though if possible, never hurts to have more information to base decisions on.

Peter Attia is a bit of a mixed bag. He gets a lot of things right, but he mixes them in with some false and misleading claims. For example he claims that:

Quote:
Eating cholesterol has very little impact on the cholesterol levels in your body. This is a fact, not my opinion. Anyone who tells you different is, at best, ignorant of this topic. At worst, they are a deliberate charlatan.

This is at odds with controlled feeding studies: "Fasting plasma apoprotein B concentrations increased approximately 10% between the 0 and 4-egg diets and were correlated with changes in total and LDL cholesterol concentrations." - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3292202/

I personally wouldn't consider a 10% increase in ApoB as "very little impact". This also ignores the issue of hyperresponders who get thrown under the bus when people claim that dietary cholesterol has very little impact. In the graph below you can see the hyperresponders whose LDL (y-axis) goes through the roof when dietary cholesterol (x-axis) is increased.

Attia says that "My own education on this topic only really began about 9 months ago, and I’m still learning from my mentors at a geometric pace". I'd be more inclined to listen to lipidologists who have years of experience rather than an MD who is relatively new to the topic.

#520104 - 04/06/20 01:19 PM Re: Cholesterol Levels on LSD AS Diet [Re: ynot]
Dotyisle Offline

Loc: Rosario, Argentina
Just seeing this post...

My cholesterol was checked in early May as part of "control" with overall health review of vitals.

My total cholesterol was 175 (2 points higher than my wife at 173).

On diet I emphasize lots for fruit and veggies... only use olive oil and vinegar on salads and eat lots of walnuts and raisins. I rarely eat eggs... maybe 1x/ every couple of weeks. In morning it is natural yogurt and also drink kefir.

In Argentina, do eat beef more often than I care to... but appears to be OK. My total cholesterol in States was always higher... a lot more local food (very fresh) and hardly any processed food helps.

Best,

Tim

KONK - Keep ON Kicking

#520148 - 04/18/20 06:31 PM Re: Cholesterol Levels on LSD AS Diet [Re: ynot]
Kellybells Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: Canada
My numbers didn't change at all before and after NSD: low trigs, good HDL, elevated LDL. I eat far more red meat now, but my numbers have stayed pretty constant. All the women in my family have above normal LDL, including my sister when she was in her early 20's, so I've never worried about it.

As I get older my doc will probably care more, but at that point I will insist on a particle size test. I am wary of the polyunsaturated fat advice since most food sources didn't exist 100 years ago (my philosophy is to not eat anything my grandmother wouldn't recognize as food). I take vitamin k2 to protect against the accumulation of calcium in my arteries.
Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Typical NSD day
by DragonSlayer
07/03/20 02:25 PM
High sugars and inflammation
by DonCA
06/30/20 05:29 AM
Last year bad year for Auto-immune diseases?
by DonCA
06/29/20 03:23 PM
New Member AS patient Youtube Channel
by kristenlittle
06/16/20 05:58 AM
Antigen Based Immunotherapy
by sBrian
06/15/20 09:56 AM
As Patient You Tube Channel- brand new. all welco
by kristenlittle
06/14/20 07:58 PM
I created an optimistic AS You Tube channel