Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#519815 - 07/16/19 05:44 PM Autoimmune Paleo Protocol or 3 day Apple Fast?
Verona Offline
New_Member

I am currently experiencing a flare after 2 years of fairly limited symptoms (with NSD and humira) so looking at different options. I’ve heard many people refer to the 3 day Apple diet but I wonder if anyone has tried the autoimmune paleo protocol? Has anyone tried both? What are your thoughts/experiences?

Any ideas are welcome!

#519816 - 07/17/19 01:55 PM Re: Autoimmune Paleo Protocol or 3 day Apple Fast? [Re: Verona]
Kellybells Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: Canada
I ate strict paleo diet for many years to manage my arthritis. I had realized on my own that dairy and grains were a problem, so I felt much better on a paleo diet, which eliminates those foods. But I knew I was still missing something, and even tracked all of my food to figure it out. Eventually I found my way to KickAS and discovered the starch connection, which was an absolute revelation.

The AIP really isn't very different from regular paleo. The instructions tend to eliminate nightshades, eggs and nuts, limit fruits and encourage bone broth. They never, ever suggest eliminating starches. Back in my pre-NSD days I tried the AIP for awhile during a flare with no positive results. In retrospect, eating sweet potato most days is probably why. I think it's not a bad way to check for sensitivities to eggs, nightshades and fruit. That's about it.

I tried fasting (mostly out of frustration when I was new to NSD) and didn't get very far. I didn't try the apple diet (apples were much too starchy for me early on) and just tried a water fast. There's research to support general health benefits from short-term water fasting, so I figured I would try it. My goal was 3 days but I only made it to about 32 hours. I did feel better though!

Have you posted what you're eating these days to the forum? I find that's a really useful way to identify potential red flags in the diet. There are some foods that nutrient databases show as low starch that others have had issues with, - this feedback has informed my own choices with good results. I am also much less strict about my starch intake now than I was in my first 6 months; is it possible you may be eating foods that are too starchy?
Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner

#519827 - 07/20/19 03:17 PM Re: Autoimmune Paleo Protocol or 3 day Apple Fast? [Re: Verona]
Dotyisle Offline

Loc: Rosario, Argentina
Hello Verona,

Prior to having a family I did the 3 days of apples a couple of times a year, really helped me... I did not use it to get out of flares, used it more to heal intestines and improve digestion so I could stay on No Starch Diet as I struggled with energy early with diet.

The first couple of times I did the fast, experienced headaches from the release of toxins most likely in body. I usually started 3 days of apples on a Friday and took it easy on the weekend as completed the fast.

Here is a link: 3_day_apple

Now each Friday I do a water fast until supper and then only eat a couple of salads to give my body about 24 hours of rest from digestion.

Regards,

Tim

KONK - Keep ON Kicking

#519828 - 07/20/19 08:25 PM Re: Autoimmune Paleo Protocol or 3 day Apple Fast? [Re: Verona]
Verona Offline
New_Member

Thank you both!

I have been on this AIP for 6 days and so far it has been going well. I think you’re right though Kelly in that it’s about the starch mostly plus other things you might react to so I’m looking at it from that perspective. I have been eating no starch for a while now and am very strict about it. I do eat some lactose free dairy though and nightshade normally so I’m curious how I will react.

I like the idea of the short term water fast - after I’m done the AIP elimination and reintroduction phases I will give that a try!

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 84 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
non-grain flours
by sBrian
09/12/19 11:08 AM
Drivers license suspended because of AS?
by pat5star
09/08/19 02:01 AM
Update: New stool analysis. Question for the forum
by Bazel
09/06/19 11:44 AM
Sinuses
by fonzy
08/22/19 12:04 PM
LRA - Lymphocyte Response Assay
by Hollingsworth
07/13/19 12:51 PM
Cannabis/CBD to treat AS