Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#519732 06/30/19 01:07 PM
G
Guts Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
G
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to follow a low starch diet, but the only starchy food left in my diet is the white / brown rice I eat every lunch and dinner (200g raw /day = 800cals).

I'm struggling keeping my calories intake high enough in order to not loose weight and also trying to follow a diet to reduce sacro-illitis pain at the same time.

I already stop eating gluten, dairy and processed food for the last 3 years, which keep my crohn sleeping. sleep

A typical meal is 300g poultry, 100g rice, 200g brocoli/carrot and 10-20g olive oil.

I got around 1-3/10 pain level (alternating in hips) when sticking to this and I want to try the LSD without lowering too much the caloric intake.

Hello Guts,

I struggled mightily with weight when I first started with diet back in March 2002... my struggle was for more than a year.

I trialed a lot of items...

What helped me:
- snacking on walnuts with raisins
- 3 day Edger Cayce apple fast 1 time every 3-4 months. Believe this helped me become more efficient with digestion
- When really struggled... had some colonics done.. fortunately lived in Arizona at time that is more progressive with these treatments

If starting out now with what I know.. maybe would not lean on the colonics, but would emphasize probiotics. Presently eat a lot of sauerkraut (natural) and drink kefir (wife makes). Believe this helps heal my GI. Also.. I drink very little alcohol and also do not drink sodas and minimal fruit juice (a lot of sugar). Drink mostly water.

Each year my digestive track gets healthier and can tolerate a bit more starch.

Best to you.

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
G
Guts Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
G
Thanks for the advices, that is exactly what I am looking for

I'm already eating almond, so I will add raisin and probably try the apple fast.

Do you buy sauerkraut at the store ?

Best to you too

Last edited by Guts; 06/30/19 05:29 PM.
Hello Guts,

I have made my own in the past, but takes a lot of time and with hot summers here, results sometimes are not that good.

So I buy always now. In States never have issues finding... read the ingredients and ensure has: cabbage, salt, water only.

If has vinegar, it kills the friendly bacteria. If all natural, most likely will say on the label that it is fermented or has friendly bacteria.

Can eat in 1 of 2 ways.. with other food to help digest the food, or alone separately to help heal the GI tract.

If I eat it with other food... will have 3-4 spoonfuls (does not sound right to say fork fulls). I like to eat alone (or drink kefir alone) to help heal the digestive tract. This I like to do almost daily.

Best,

Tim

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
G
Guts Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
G
Hello Dotyisle,

Thank you for your post, I will try it for sure !

K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Hi Guts,

200g of white rice has 157g of starch; brown rice has 145g. That's a lot of starch! When starting the diet I could only tolerate 2g starch a day. Now, 2 years larter, I try to keep it around 10-20g so dropping the rice is a Good idea. Some people have had success with glutinous rice because it digests quickly (it's low in amylose starch) but not me.

I replace rice in my dishes with cauliflower 'rice' (it's just grated raw cauliflower that I steam). It tastes nothing like rice but it works for me in Thai and Indian dishes.

It's not a lot of calories though, which means I replace the starch calories with fat and protein calories. Coconut milk is a staple in my cauliflower rice curries. Or I use higher calorie cuts like chicken thighs instead of breasts.

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
For food dishes, I use bean sprouts as a rice replacement. Love them with stir frys... chop up the bean sprouts, add some other veggies and some spices for flavor with either chicken or beef typically. Would use Worchestershire sauce... but can probably use balsamic vinegar as well.

Tim

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
G
Guts Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
G
Hi Kellybells and Dotyisle,

Yes I ate lot of starch since it was my only way to maintain weight. The cauliflower rice and the chicken thighs seems a really nice idea, I will try them. Also I will eat more coconut oil I feel really well after eating it.

Dotyisle, I saw that Worchestershire sauce is a bit spicy, do you thinks spicy spices are okay with the intestinal mucosa ?

Update :
I've followed the low starch diet for 10 days, pain level went from 5 (sharps pain cause I ate bad frieds starchs and red meat before starting the diet) to 1. I'm really happy about it even if I lost some weight.

So I'm trying to add food little by little, for now I'm fine with :
chicken breast, broccoli, letuce, soaked almond, olive oil, coconut oil, apple juice (I have to reduce this one cause of moderate candidasis)

I cooked boiled in water since it seemed less inflammatory than stove cooking.

I will add red meat for a week to see, again just boiled since when it's cooked with a stove it seemed to trigger enthesitis on me, maybe because of the cooked fat.

Today I tried white rice, felt heavy, sleepy and a bit unwell, I guess I will stick to meats and veggie I really feel well on them, and try to add more caloric food that are safe.

K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Glad to hear your pain has dropped to a one, that's amazing! Hope that keeps up as you figure ppout more foods you can eat.

For what it's worth, I have never ever had any pain from eating red meat, even when high in fat or cooked on the stove.

To manage the weight loss I made coc9nut milk smoothies, blending a can of coconut milk with fruit (e.g., strawberries, cherries, pineapple, mango, etc.)

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!