Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#519661 - 05/24/19 02:41 PM Diet helps, but key is restoring intestinal lining
sHaDoW8185 Offline
New_Member

Hi, fellow Spondylonians!

I just wanted to report that I learned a lot from trying restrictive diets, etc. While in some it may "cure," in others it only diminishes the pain. This is because we are all created differently, in both design and how our disease manifested. However, the end result is the same... we all have leaking guts. The diet will allow less bacterial offenders to leak into the bloodstream and, for some, this will be enough to heal and seal them guts back up. However, this is dependent on the number of genes you have that are pro-AS, since AS is a polygenetic disease.

Things like bone broth daily, or even multiple times a day, can really help heal the guts. Obviously removing complex starches can help...but in the long run that is really not good for the kind of microbiome that promotes health. I have made a post in the Spondylitis Association of America forums that came from hundreds of hours of research and experimentation on myself. I believe I have pretty much nailed the coffin on this disease and provide a nearly closed-loop explanation of how it gets started. I am currently treating myself after:

1) Change in diet
Helped a little sometimes, a lot others.

2) Biolfilm protocol
Think this was necessary to remove some colonies, but ended up causing me more pain in the long-run due to exposing sections that were highly irritated (guess)

3) Juice Cleanses + Water Cleanses
Also allowed leakage that hurt me a lot (don't think a leaking intestine should have large amounts of liquid in it constantly pushing on these leaky loose junctions)

4) Supplements (such as butyrate + digestive enzymes)
Like the biofilm disruption protocol, this initially helped a little, but then eroded what little lining I had left or just was too powerful and "overdid it."

and finally
5) Scrapping all of that
I realized that none of it addressed the root cause. I am now on Rifaximin as it is one of very few drugs that is BOTH anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial in nature, as well as promotes tight-junction protein synthesis in the gut (sorely [pun-intended] needed for those with the damage in their guts that causes AS.) Please check out the post here. (LINK)

Cheers!

#519664 - 05/26/19 10:43 AM Re: Diet helps, but key is restoring intestinal lining [Re: sHaDoW8185]
Dotyisle Offline

Loc: Rosario, Argentina
Thanks for the post.. I also checked out the link.

Best wishes to you on continued recovery.

Tim

KONK - Keep ON Kicking

#519680 - 06/01/19 04:40 PM Re: Diet helps, but key is restoring intestinal lining [Re: Dotyisle]
Didier Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker

Dragonslayer will say "I told you so"! See new study as of Mar 4 2019:

Rifaximin Alters Intestinal Microbiota and Prevents Progression of Ankylosing Spondylitis in Mice (https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fcimb.2019.00044/full)

#519686 - 06/04/19 01:19 PM Re: Diet helps, but key is restoring intestinal lining [Re: Didier]
sHaDoW8185 Offline
New_Member

Originally Posted By Didier
Dragonslayer will say "I told you so"! See new study as of Mar 4 2019:

Rifaximin Alters Intestinal Microbiota and Prevents Progression of Ankylosing Spondylitis in Mice (https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fcimb.2019.00044/full)

That's the study I reference on my linked post above. I have also added a TON of other links relevant to those who suffer other syndromes in the SpA family. But yes, that study was the tipping point for me!

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
NSD for non hlab27 sufferers
by NZMatt
08/11/19 11:22 PM
Success at last finally found my problem foods by
by L33
07/30/19 11:44 PM
Enbrel Users
by JamesF
07/21/19 01:20 PM
LRA - Lymphocyte Response Assay