Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#519347 - 01/09/19 12:41 AM NSD for AS and IBS: some help with candidiasis?
Bazel Offline
New_Member

Hi forum!

Right after AS diagnosis last month I started the no starch diet. Quickly eliminating more and more food groups as I learned about the diet. I had noticed before my AS-diagnosis, that my IBS would profit greatly from reduced carbs (which was actually starch I know now). For now I am mainly focussing on getting the IBS under control, before trying to get results in the pain-area.

After removing starch, my fatigue mostly disappeared. Then I removed the high fosfor veggies, which made my gas-problems go away. After I removed all sugars, my diarrhea also disappeared (For the first time since 8 years of IBS!!).

I removed the sugars thanks to Dragonslayer's tip about the candidiasis. I did the spit-test and there are huge strings in my saliva.

Now my diet is: carrot, zucchini, bone broth, chicken, fatty fish, olive oil, cow fat, coconut oil, cucumber, vitamin pills.

For the last two days, I have added avocado. I did test it for starch. My IBS seems to be returning now. Getting the annoying tingling sensations in stomach, the bad breath, bloatedness.

First I want to get this candidiasis under control, before trying to get results for my AS.

My questions:
1. Do you think avocado triggers the candidiasis? Information on this is double. Some say its a fruit, so I cant take it. Others say it's really helpful against candidiasis.
2. I use oregano oil since 2 days. Any other tips for candidiasis? I read on the forum about drugs, but I can't figure out which ones.
3. Which nutrients should I start adding next? My idea was Selery first, then hazelnuts.

P.S.: I am reading more about carrots, I eat so much of them and it seems a bad idea. I will probably remove them and replace it with brocolli.

Thanks guys!

Edited by Bazel (01/09/19 01:28 AM)

#519348 - 01/09/19 06:20 AM Re: NSD for AS and IBS: some help with candidiasis? [Re: Bazel]
Cymro Online   content

I take it you have seen a doctor about your candidiasis?

#519349 - 01/09/19 11:27 AM Re: NSD for AS and IBS: some help with candidiasis? [Re: Bazel]
Bazel Offline
New_Member

No. It's my own hypothesis. I do not have any candida rash per se. But I highly suspect that it is a problem for my intestines. Especially since quitting sugar gave me full relief.
Do you think a doctor could and will give me any specific medicine for this condition? What I read om our Dutch websites is that it is not a recognized condition concerning the stomach and intestines. It is my experience that they know little to nothing about these subjects.

Edited by Bazel (01/09/19 11:30 AM)

#519351 - 01/10/19 07:26 AM Re: NSD for AS and IBS: some help with candidiasis? [Re: Bazel]
Cymro Online   content

Originally Posted By Bazel

Do you think a doctor could and will give me any specific medicine for this condition?

Worth a try as they say "if you don't ask you don'y get".

#519354 - 01/10/19 11:58 AM Re: NSD for AS and IBS: some help with candidiasis? [Re: Bazel]
DragonSlayer Offline
AS Czar

Loc: Reno or SFLU Philippines

Hello, Bazel:

Regret most physicians are not able to adequately treat candidiasis; I suggest using colloidal silver (as per Dr. Bob Beck ionic colloidal silver and general protocol) and raw garlic, which cannot be used while employing the Beck "bioelectrifier."

Quote:
1. Do you think avocado triggers the candidiasis? Information on this is double. Some say its a fruit, so I cant take it. Others say it's really helpful against candidiasis.

No, avocados should be safe and not promote the overgrowth of C. albicans, however--emphasis on "should" because I do not have direct experience with this.

Quote:
2. I use oregano oil since 2 days. Any other tips for candidiasis? I read on the forum about drugs, but I can't figure out which ones.

The oregano oil is most effective when it is in the form of enteric-coated capsules to deliver the greatest concentrated dosage closer to "ground zero."

Caprylic acid (coconut oil extracts or straight coconut oil) can also help reduce the fungal overgrowth.

The combination of these natural agents has sometimes helped people avoid the very harsh drugs that might be an option: Fluconazole, itraconazole, or posaconazole. Some members have had much better results using these because they really stop the fungus so that AS and IBS symptoms can be reduced or eliminated using diet.

Quote:
3. Which nutrients should I start adding next? My idea was Selery first, then hazelnuts.

Cooked carrots should be eliminated until You have achieved full remission using diet alone. Eat sauerkraut, or kim chee that has "live active cultures" (not killed by pasteurization). Cucumbers, onions, garlic, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, ACV (apple cider vinegar), pickled beets, okra, stevia sweetener, black tea and also ginger tea, cinnamon, turmeric (Indian pickle is good source) in small amounts.

Good to supplement with zinc, calcium, vitE, lysine, vitC, and niacinamide/niacin and if in flare borage seed oil can help but also good to take EVOliveOil by teaspoonful many times throughout the day especially before meals but 14-16 X daily (teaspoon).

HEALTH,
John

Professor Ebringer: On Diet and AS;

RED ARROW --> Philippines

#519356 - 01/11/19 03:26 AM Re: NSD for AS and IBS: some help with candidiasis? [Re: Bazel]
Janclebro Offline

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
Hi Bazel, I've had a severe (and confirmed) candida problem which I've been battling this past year. It is very useful to try to confirm it as it helps to know what you're dealing with. I sent in a stool sample for analysis. The mainstream laboratories don't seem to be terribly helpful with regards to these things (I don't think they culture for long enough, and might not test for all the bugs) so I found a laboratory which did comprehensive tests in this field. They were not available through my medical scheme and some of them are pricey!

I suggest one of two options, depending on your needs. A culture and sensitivities test will look at what is growing in your gut, and test what it is sensitive to. I think you mostly have to pay according to how many pathogens they find. They should also be able to give you some idea of what your levels are of good bacteria. The second test, a comprehensive stool analysis, does all of the above plus looks at levels of gut inflammation. It is substantially more expensive but might be useful.

My reason for recommending this is that there is more than one strain of candida. I was unfortunate enough to be dealing with candida glabrata which builds up resistance to whatever antifungals you throw at it. So my protocol was to rotate antifungals every ten days to prevent it from building resistance. I'm pleased to say that my most recent test showed that my candida is dealt with, so I'm now trying to build up my gut prior to starting my next attack, ecoli.

If you have candida, you will probably also be sensitive to yeasts and should benefit from eliminating vinegar etc. Avos often have blemishes and some of these can be yeasty, so this could be the reason for your problem here. I continued to eat avo during my candida protocol, but strongly suspected it was slowing my progress, because our local ones have been particularly bruised and blemished this past year. If they're really good quality you should be fine with them from a candida perspective.

Nuts too can contain moulds and yeasts, so proceed with caution here.
You might find you can tolerate a few, but I definitely wouldn't go mad. I had to stay off them. Most people seem able to eat probiotic fermented foods, but they affect me horrifically, probably because of the yeasts they contain. Apple cider vinegar likewise - it was extremely bad for me but seems to work well for most.

Being on an anti-candida diet while doing a no-starch diet can be pretty ruthless. You should be fine with most leaves (I avoid cabbage and leaves of that family). Each country will give different starch results depending on growing conditions, but for what it's worth I've found leaves, celery, cucumber, baby marrows, sweet peppers, broccoli, green beans with the beans removed, onion and avo are fine. Peppers and marrows sometimes test starchy, in which case I find I'm fine on small quantities, so I don't go mad. Ditto tomatoes - I find I can eat two or three baby ones. I'm telling you this because I seem to be on a stricter diet than most, so mine might be a good place to start. Blue Diamond Almond Breeze almond milk (unsweetened) seems to be internationally available and unstarchy and no sugar. Avoid products that contain Maltodextrin.

Additional veggies that I find starchy depending on season are cauliflower and baby corn, so these I always test. Cauliflower can vary between starch free and extremely starchy. When I can eat it I find it very useful (cauli mash is delicious, I also rice it and make a rice salad or use as a couscous substitute). I use broccoli in the same way when cauliflower isn't safe. I avoided beetroot during my candida diet, but am eating it again now as it seems unstarchy (hard to tell because of the dark colour but I don't react.) In my part of the world carrots are absolutely out of the question. Last time I tried raw carrots I literally didn't sleep for one minute, in terrible pain. I'm also careful with garlic.

I make very nice salad dressings which keep things interesting. Fresh lemon juice and olive oil, mustard powder, stevia and salt, with a massive quantity of whichever herb I fancy. Bone broth is excellent for healing the gut. For the days you don't have any, a tsp of glutamine stirred into a glass of water, taken on an empty stomach, should help do the same thing.

Have you looked up FODMAPS for IBS? The list might give you some clue as to why some things are affecting you. It is unlikely you'll have to avoid all the categories. Avos are on the FODMAPS list because they contain sorbitol, so if you're reacting to sorbitol this could explain your reaction. I think this is more likely than what I've mentioned above. Look up FODMAPS and see if it helps.

Regarding antifungals, there are many out there. I found olive leaf extract useful though sometimes suspected it of being starchy.... A microbiology professor gave me a good tip: he said I should take citricidal in combination with each of the other antifungals, as it would help to penetrate the Candida. A superior form of Oregano oil is Orega Forte from Germany. Colloidal silver was also part of my protocol. I would also have used caprylic acid if I could have found one that didn't have bad additives.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck and feel free to send me a private message if you want further help.

All the best
Jane
Spondyloarthropathy with symptoms of AS, Sjögrens and fibro. Previously took Celebrex, Methotrexate, Trepiline, Prednisone which seemed to trigger a flare and my illness became much worse. Symptoms now kept mostly under control with NSD, as well as cutting sugar, dairy and yeast and food intolerances. Mostly pain free now and all symptoms massively improved.

#519357 - 01/12/19 02:13 AM Re: NSD for AS and IBS: some help with candidiasis? [Re: DragonSlayer]
Bazel Offline
New_Member

Thank you so much again John. I am going to add the supplements you suggested. I'll try to fix this first, using diet. The more I read about candida, the more I am starting to recognize in my symptoms. It's only now occuring to me how often I have had the candida infection (genital) in the past years... It even may have started it all, years ago. But I don't quite remember correctly..
I'll also message Jane privately!

Question: I am noticing my vitamin pills, but also my prednisolon and naproxen contains cornstarch. How big of a problemen is that? I have already tried to get prednisolon in a bottle, but the doctor is being a pain in the [*bleep*]. The naproxen I could skip entirely.. but rather not.
Also, my dietitian said I should take Orthiflor Original probiotics. Do you know this probiotic?

Thanks a bunch guys.

-Bas

Edited by Bazel (01/12/19 02:48 AM)

#519358 - 01/13/19 09:21 AM Re: NSD for AS and IBS: some help with candidiasis? [Re: Bazel]
Janclebro Offline

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
Hi Bas, I don't know the Orthiflor but looked it up. Like your medications it contains cornstarch, and also maltodextrin. I personally wouldn't risk it - I understand maltodextrin is a very poor choice and it definitely flares me. I think it's somehow related to sugar. Rebecca Fett speaks against it in her book.

In addition the levels of probiotics are very low indeed and unlikely to give special benefit. Only one billion per capsule. I wouldn't touch anything less than 15 billion per capsule, and am presently taking fifty to hundred billion per day, to give you some idea!

It also contains an unspecified ingredient, Pro-Motor. I don't know whether or not that is a prebiotic, but prebiotics cause problems for many of us. Also, ideally we need probiotics with higher levels of bifidobacteria than this product contains.

Regarding the cornstarch, in the end you'll need to find out your own level of sensitivity. For some on this website, the little bit of cornstarch in a medication would be insufficient to cause a problem, but others, like me, wouldn't touch a product that contained cornstarch. You're facing the prospect of three supplements a day containing cornstarch. I would try to replace those you can, where possible, so that you minimise any bad effect.

My advice would be to go as starch free as possible to get your pain levels right down, then experiment. If you're constantly in pain, it's difficult to tell how much the various foods/medications are affecting you. But once you're pain-free it becomes much easier to identify the culprits.

I'm presently using Gutpro Infant probiotics which I ordered online from Functional Self UK. No additives at all - no prebiotic, no fillers, no maltodextrin, no yeasts, nothing. Just pure probiotic with a bifidobacteria dominance which apparently serves us well. If you decide to buy it, do yourself a favour and order their tiny measuring spoons too.

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 119 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
In my Bones - AS documentary on YouTube
by CoolTech
01/16/19 05:45 AM
Kicking Opiates
by Melliej
01/14/19 11:05 AM
Newbie- Travelling with/transporting biologicals
by habiba
01/10/19 06:41 AM
NSD for AS and IBS: some help with candidiasis?
by Bazel
01/09/19 12:41 AM
Hello Forum! New here, my story and questions.
by Bazel
12/30/18 01:43 AM
No Wonder!
by Lon
12/29/18 11:19 AM
Sad news
by LINCinNYC
12/27/18 04:22 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
"FITNESS" TEAM! - All Physical Activity & Sports 41,964,898
hmmm 2,189,104
Has anyone had Pedicle subtraction Osteotomy ? 1,826,181