Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 21 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
S
Lurker
Lurker
S
Hi I am mohsin from India.. ive had AS for 13 years now. I am 29. I was diagnosed at the age of24. I started the no starch diet just a month back. I have lost weight rapidly. I stand 5 11". I used to weigh 82kgs now I weigh 71kgs.

the initial 20 odd days were really rough, you feel so weak but no significant pain reduction, its a test of your grit(and ive cheated a few times). but then you start noticing the pain levels come down. now I sleep without any painkillers which was impossible before.

this is the diet I follow.
breakfast->> 3 eggs/fish/mutton/liver and some tomatoes
lunch->> 2 boiled eggs
dinner--> mutton/liver/fish with raisins and tomatoes

I swim daily at night for an hour. planning to start stretching sessions in the mornings

the pain levels have come down greatly

but with the diet above do you think I might get into trouble with vitamins and stuff? please let me know.

P
Lurker
Lurker
P
Thanks to all who post here and help maintain the site - the world needs to know about the no-starch-diet for AS!

I have used the no-starch diet for AS for twelve years and it allows me to live life like an able-bodied person rather than the semi-disabled person I was before. (I had crippling pain in my hips and lower back, neck, shoulders, ankles and knees, and occasionally woke up completely unable to move. After being on the diet,I have been able to work as a volunteer lifeguard and run three half-marathons.) The benefit of the diet, for me personally, is priceless: Although I have every respect for those who find quality and meaning in a life affected by disability, my physical capability is key to my quality of life.

I had clear AS symptoms since age 22 and these were misdiagnosed at age 26 (x-rays misinterpreted as osteitis condensans - literally a "Textbook" error as I later discovered). It was only by chance, when I got repetitive strain injuries from computer use (which have since shown no association with the AS) that my AS was formally diagnosed via x-rays and blood tests.

I have noticed recently that various health professionals' websites still claim no link between diet and AS - the ignorance is astonishing, given the length of time that some of us have kept ourselves able-bodied with the diet (and, incidentally, saved governments which provide healthcare huge sums of money in the process).

So I'm particularly struck now by how important it is that we keep our findings on the no-starch diet available for those affected by AS.

At least one research study is starting in the UK on diet and AS, but it appears to be based on recording what people "happen to eat" and what their symptoms are like, so might well simply back up the claim of no-link-between-diet-and-AS because the NSD is too difficult, expensive, time-consuming and socially awkward for anyone to follow "by chance". I hope my pessimistic view on this new study is wrong, but there is so much discussion of drug-based approaches to AS and so little on removing the root cause via diet that it seems unlikely that enough patients on the NSD could be included in such a study.

Anyway, thanks again to all who share experiences on AS, and good luck & patience to anyone trying the diet for themselves!

V
Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and I was diagnosed seven years ago ,six weeks after giving birth to my child. There were days I needed help picking up my daughter because both my wrists were so swollen and inflammed.I had my knees drained every three months for years. Then I found out how a diet can change everything. My knees do hurt anymore and they were swollen for years, I could not straighten them out for two full years, now they are fine.My elbow was frozen for two years and I could not extend it for two years, it was awful. I limped for years......for years. I read a million things and how one thing works for one person but does not work for someone else, I read about crazy elimination diets and I tried them. I tried portable saunas, some weird horse stuff that cures arthritis, I flew out of state because I thought I had lyme disease and tried antibiotics which only made me feel 10 times worse.
------------------------------------------------------------
So to sum it up for me: NO GRAINS and very little dairy & sugar. I try to eat 80 % raw fruits and veggies . JUICING IS KEY FOR ME I DO NOT GO A DAY WITHOUT A FRESHLY MADE JUICE! I juice 3 carrots, 2 celery stalks and 1/2 a cucumber. When I go without that juice I feel it!!! I eat chicken , turkey and fish, but not a lot of it. I think the juice heals the body from the inside out.Start with salad with some chicken on it and use a juicer to juice some raw veggies, you will feel the difference and starchy stuff wont even tempt you anymore. I like the following advice from Dr.Max Gerson --We have the condition we are in due to toxicity and nutritional deficiency . Some helpful sources for me are: KickAS which gave me the first push in the right direction, Fat, Sick, Nearly Dead, Clints Cure, Dr Mercolas RA guidelines and Gerson.org.

Diet change has improved my RA. I feel best eating raw veggies and some fruits and avoiding grains, sugars, nightshades, beans and dairy. Sed rate dropped from 65 to 19, but it took over a year.
www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

excess fat/oils = pain for me
recipes for raw food on Youtube "raw food romance"
and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise
ASkickerr #516032 10/21/16 05:17 AM
S
Lurker
Lurker
S
Hey ASkickerr,

I hope to someday be able to post a success story myself but for the time being I don't feel I've "earned" the right to do so as I don't think I've beaten AS just yet. I do however want to thank you for sharing your particular story since the first part mirrors mine almost exactly. You see, I too crashed my bike (mine was a sports bike) 12 years ago leading to the same late diagnosis due to the same reasons. AS following an injury seems to be a common theme here. Perhaps it somehow triggers the disease? For us this is purely academic at this point...

Thanks again for sharing!

Dotyisle #516037 10/23/16 07:11 AM
R
Lurker
Lurker
R
Hi all,
I think this is my first post, although I've been a member here for a couple of years now.
My concern right now is that blood test results yesteday point to Pancytopenia, which I now have urgent follow up tests over te next couple of days to find out why.

I've had AS for more than 30 years and would consider my case to be mild compared to others, though I have suffered greatly at times, particularly in the eatly years.
About three years ago I started the No Starch Diet and have had exceptional results until a few months ago, when I let the diet go a bit, a fair bit. Previous to that I did let it go a little and had no real problems, maybe coincidental I don't know.
But as I wait for these tests, I can't help wonder if this new problem could be due to the NSD.
The main reason I tried the diet was because I qualified for anti-TNF meds, but on researching the side effects I decided I didn't want to take the risk of increased odds with leukaemia especially since my mum had passed away a little earlier with AML.
I've considered this link because after speaking with others in my local AS group some time ago, already on anti-TNFs that there were similarities in condition changes on those as I experienced with the NSD...almost immediate relief from mouth ulcers (I had always had them continuously and they stopped in the first week) and relief from AS pain in the first few weeks.
Well I guess I've just go to hope this new challenge is an easy one to beat.
Rusty

sleepysaint #516217 12/08/16 08:12 PM
S
New_Member
New_Member
S
@sleepysaint

I would suggest you add some green leaves: spinach, broccoli, some lettuce, maybe kale, fresh herbs like parsley, koriander, basil, etc. these are heavy on vitamins+minerals.

If you don't love fresh kale (can be bitter) gently frying it makes it less bitter.

You can add chopped kale or spinach to your eggs - about a tablespoon per egg and whip it (whip it good), fry it like a green pancake and use it like a wrap with fresh leaves, some meat, good olive oil.

Oily fish like mackerel, sardines, herring, vild salmon are also nutrient dense foods. Even canned these are a good (an easy) way to get nutrients.

Dotyisle #516283 12/22/16 06:39 PM
E
Active_Member
Active_Member
E
Registered here to tell my success story.

All the way back in 2009, I started to develop a painful and swollen foot, knee, and shoulder. After many doctor visits, I was eventually diagnosed with Reactive Arthritis, and tested positive for the HLAB27. A combination of Sulfasalazine and Humira knocked this out, and I was 100% back to normal.

I went several years without symptom, but whenever my joints started to ache, I'd get a script filled for Humira, and within 1-3 doses I would be back to normal.

Fast forward to 2016, and not only was the Humira not knocking out my pain, but I started to develop pain in my hips, lower, and upper back.

I found this site, got on the NSD/LSD, and started to feel a lot better within days.

M
New_Member
New_Member
M
I've a theory about the NSD. I have found it pretty helpful but am on the 'journey' shall we say.......
I think that whole grains and so on could be the worst things because they reach the lower gut where those Klebsiella reside due to the lovely long lasting slow digestion. Meanwhile quick use starches-wonderfully over-processed crap that we are always normally told to cut down on- can be tolerated from time to time IF you are really hungry and digest and absorb them BEFORE they get to the lower gut!!!!
I thought this after a morning of enforced fasting (ie. there was nothing I could eat around the house that had no starch) then being offered a Krusty Creme doughnut, which I accepted. I waited for the pain and none came!!!

strang #516410 01/13/17 11:23 AM
M
New_Member
New_Member
M
Yes, I live on tins of fish. They've stopped me wasting away completely!

M
New_Member
New_Member
M
Glutinous Rice. Halleluia.

Spices? OMG I'm so depressed to hear they're starchy. How can it be true?

Has anyone tested ginger?

Page 17 of 21 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM