Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#519202 - 11/19/18 08:19 AM AS and Osteoporosis/Stress Fracture/Bone Growth
ritachick Offline
New_Member

Loc: Illinois/Chicago area
Back in August my left leg started hurting VERY badly, I was told by my the doctor it was a muscle thing. Well, just found out it's a stress fracture. Starting to heal now so not much they can do. I have Osteoporosis and am set to see the bone doctor next month!

Here's the thing, chances are they are going to put me on something that promotes bone growth. I'm a very worried about how this will effect the AS. I've read/heard that people with AS can have issues with random bone growth and I'm worried a medication will start fusion or cause issues with AS.

I've asked (2) Osteo doctors about it and they just stare at me blankly?

Anyone have experience or read anything about this?

#519206 - 11/20/18 05:47 AM Re: AS and Osteoporosis/Stress Fracture/Bone Growth [Re: ritachick]
Cymro Offline
New_Member

I have a stress fracture in my fibula (the thinnest of the two bones in the lower leg). I feel nothing from it now although I do remember a time when I did feel some pain in that area but just put it down to a symptom of A.S. I never even realised I had the fracture until a routine X Ray for something else. They recon the fracture must have happened some years ago and there is no point in doing anything about it now. I asked the orthopedic surgeon if my A.S. had anything to do with it. He just said POSSIBLY typical medico answer when they don't know what else to say.

#519207 - 11/22/18 06:18 AM Re: AS and Osteoporosis/Stress Fracture/Bone Growth [Re: ritachick]
Dotyisle Offline

Loc: Rosario, Argentina
Hello Ritachick,

That is an interesting question and I have no personal experience to help.

Are you active with stretching or other form of exercise that may deter fusion if you did take the medication? I stretches daily for my back and neck. Most of my fusion is in my hips and some in the low back. I probably should do some deep breathing exercises for my rib cage.

Regards,

Tim

KONK - Keep ON Kicking

#519228 - 11/26/18 07:24 AM Re: AS and Osteoporosis/Stress Fracture/Bone Growth [Re: Dotyisle]
ritachick Offline
New_Member

I started about 25 years ago when I was diagnosed going to a pool a few times a week and swimming/stretching.

The last 5 years I've been going to a Warm Water therapy pool (94 degrees) and taking an Arthritis Class 3x a week that focuses on mobility exercises!

I can't say enough good things about the warm water therapy pool it helps tremendously with both the Fibro and the AS

So in a nutshell yes I do have the stretching covered, although I should/could do some stretches at home as well!

#519229 - 11/26/18 07:30 AM Re: AS and Osteoporosis/Stress Fracture/Bone Growth [Re: Cymro]
ritachick Offline
New_Member

Cymro, mine is in the Tibia to the best of my knowledge and I really should have gotten an x-ray right away but thought it was a muscle issue. The pain was debilitating I mean I'm used to pain but holy mother this was not funny.

However, I was limping severely which I can only guess triggered both the AS and Fibro so it was a triple whammy!

According to my research AS has A LOT to do with Osteoporosis!

Here is an interesting article I found relating to AS & Osteoporosis

AS/Osteoporosis Article

#519230 - 11/27/18 05:57 AM Re: AS and Osteoporosis/Stress Fracture/Bone Growth [Re: ritachick]
Cymro Offline
New_Member

Originally Posted By ritachick
Cymro, mine is in the Tibia

I really should have gotten an x-ray right away but thought it was a muscle issue.
This is part of the problem with A.S. we just assume that any new pain is an A.S. pain.

According to my research AS has A LOT to do with Osteoporosis! Yes probably so. I have been diagnosed with Osteoporosis.
I just take the usual calcium tablets and have a routine bone density scan.

Edited by Cymro (11/27/18 05:58 AM)

#519232 - 11/28/18 06:23 AM Re: AS and Osteoporosis/Stress Fracture/Bone Growth [Re: Cymro]
ritachick Offline
New_Member

I think my bone density test has showed I'm way beyond just taking a Calcium tablet unfortunately.

They're talking possible daily injections..and every time I bring up AS/Bone Growth/Fusion to doctors including bone doctors, rheumatologists etc... all I get is "crickets".

Who's Online
0 registered (), 82 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
THC/CBD vaping oil works for R.Artritis 100%
by trying2help
12/16/18 09:54 AM
Borage seed oil
by lulu12
12/13/18 06:15 AM
Can AS cause weight loss?
by thebluedog
12/12/18 01:00 PM
Citrate-free Humira = Less / No Pain