Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#518999 08/23/18 08:49 AM
A
Magical_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker
A
Hi

(I haven’t posted in many, many years!)

I’d like to know how many of you have dental problems, cavities etc, and do you think this is related to AS? Have you any stories to tell?

I have had to have 2 extractions in the past 2 months and a 3rd tooth will probably end up the same way. I must say, I have always looked after my teeth, and having been a dental nurse in the last, I am aware of oral hygiene!
(I am dubious about the dentist I had been seeing over the last 4 years, and I have had to move practices. The new dentist has been doing all the remedial work suddenly required.)

It seems the recent teeth to have had issues, have begun to decay from the inside out. The root/nerve is attacked, the bulk of the tooth is absorbed, and I end up with a shell. Teeth don’t seem to decay in the usual way, on the surface of the tooth, where decay can creep in.

I’ve never experienced toothache, only sporadic sensitivity and jaw pain, TMj etc, and I have always mentioned this to (previous) dentist, who never investigated.

Also, with each piece of dental work, I am experiencing a flare up in my AS symptoms. which is starting to get me down. 😒

F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
I had all my teeth removed at the age of just 16 years. They had been properly looked after but the dentist insisted. He didn't do implants as this was way back in the early 1960s. and he retired soon afterwards. I have asked many doctors over the years if my loosing my teeth so young had any connection to my having A.S. The best I can get from them is a "possibly". Evern the rheumatologists don't seem to know. Obviously I was very unlucky in my choice of dentist but it is all a long time ago now and nothing I can do about it.

A
Magical_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker
A
Crikey! He insisted? Pretty big decision to come too....!

I did enquiry about implants, but with the first 2 extractions. I don’t have enough bone. I could get some grafted but don’t know if I can deal with the expense, at around £1000 each. They were the 2 upper back teeth (I don’t have wisdoms), so I can do without them, takes some getting used too though.
The next one in-line will be in my smile area. I don’t want to try root canal treatment, as I doubt it will work, so may just go with another extraction, and hope I can have an immediate implant...

I did skim though an article online a few days ago, regarding a woman with AS and her dental issues. It did seem that removal was a better option over remedial work, but there wasn’t much to say why it all occurred. Only ways to get round it. It did mention dental pain though, which apparently we can experience often even if there are no cavities present....

AS Czar
AS Czar
Hello, Amber_UK:

AS causes several types of dental issues. The main problem is related to dry mouth condition related to Sjogren's-like condition or Sicca Syndrome. A secondary situation is due to overall demineralization that also leads to osteoporosis.

The first results in dental carries due to the lack of proper primary immune system coverage and the secondary accelerates the decay by affecting the enamel and pulp; teeth can seem to 'rot' from the inside out; just as You have described.

It is important to reduce inflammation to keep salivary glands more active and avoid "anergy" or exhaustion of the immune components.

EVOliveOil >10X/day by teaspoonful and borage seed oil--4-5g immediately upon retiring can help. Occasional shots of fresh wheatgrass juice can also help.

Inflammation affects us in ways we would never expect.

HEALTH,
John

Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I have AS as does my mother. Each of us has had dental issues. She is more fastidious than me, but despite that she has needed constant dental attention.

We always assumed AS was a factor. She also has bone density issues impacting her dental problems

L-R: Julianna, Jamie, Diane and Tonimarie

stevec-they also serve who stand and wait
A
Magical_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker
A
Originally Posted By DragonSlayer

EVOliveOil >10X/day by teaspoonful and borage seed oil--4-5g immediately upon retiring can help. Occasional shots of fresh wheatgrass juice can also help.

Inflammation affects us in ways we would never expect.

Thank you for the information and advice.
Do these products help reduce inflammation much? Do you take them?

A
Magical_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Magical_AS_Kicker
A
Thanks for the response. Seems like it’s just us few then on the forum who have had issues 😉. I had anticipated a wealth of replies lol.
I feel slightly better that it’s not my oral hygiene technique that is causing problems anyway!
These issue have only appeared in my 40’s. I did wonder if the menopause might also have something to do with it. Maybe I’ll post on another section to find out! 🙂

F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
Originally Posted By Amber_UK

Do these products help reduce inflammation much? Do you take them?

If as I assume you are talking about medication to reduce the inflammation of A.S. well yes they do help and I have taken them for years. Unfortunately they only help and are no cure for A.S.

AS Czar
AS Czar

Hello, Amber_UK:

I seldom require the borage seed oil anymore, but take EVOO often also occasional wheatgrass juice if I feel incipient gout. These not only reduce inflammation, but also help increase the lymph flow and help reduce the viscosity of the saliva and tears.

HEALTH,
John

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)