Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21
H
New_Member
New_Member
H
I have another question. How do you cope with the vey low energy levels. I have a tendancy to get iron and vitamin b deficiancies (and yes i do eat red meat and at the moment I am taking iron & vitamin b vitamins.)
Any suggestions would be great.

Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
I cook everything in an iron skillet, which helps with iron. Take my vitamins, and try to get good rest, which isn't always easy. But I am feeling better. I nap without apology now, and drink lots of water.

Iritis first diagnosed in 1991, presently recurrent and steroid resistant.
Tested HLA B27 positive in 1996.
AS diagnosed October of 2011.

Putting most of my eggs in the NSD and exercise basket, using only TENS, massage, heat and ice, and NSAIDS (sparingly) for pain. Drops for iritis as flare necessitates. Looking back I feel I would have been diagnosed with AS years ago, if I had found a rheumy earlier than 2011.
L
New_Member
New_Member
L
Hi, I'm from Brazil and I'm 34.
I had back pain since I was 14, always treated as bad posture or sports injury... once or twice a year I would take NSAID for a few days and be Ok again.
In September of 2010 I had a terrible and persistent pain. Orthopedist recomended NSAID for a week and physiotherapy, but pain persisted for months. MRI of spine showed lesion on lower back and degeneration but no inflamation (the lesion on the spine confused the diagnostics, the real pain was comming from an inflamation on my sacroiliac joint and it took 4 months to be discovered).
In January my knee began to ache and then my shoulders. I went to 3 different orthopedists but they never mentioned arthrits.
I was deppressed and feeling very bad, my doghther was born in December and I couldn't help my wife as I did with our first son because it was such a pain to wake in the night.
I knew that something was wrong with me and started searching the internet, where I learned about arthrits and I was sure I had that.
Went to Rheumatologist in March of 2011, a very good one, and even before the results of blood tests and MRI of sacroiliac joint she told me to start taking NSAIDS. On the next visit she said that what I have was probably AS.
Well, that was scary but comforting at the same time. At least I knew who my enemy was. Today I think I'm lucky because some people take years to be diagnosed.
My life changed after that: I lost 30 pounds in 6 months, began pilates and cycling (as soon as my pain got under control) and my diet changed dramatically.
I remember I read about the NSD but gave no credit to it. The information in portugese (my native lenguage) is very poor.
At the end of 2011 I was felling very good, but still taking 3 NSAID per week and something very interesting happened.
In December I went on vacation and gained some weight. I decided to loose it in a week with a kind of Low-carb diet. Weel as you can imagine I felt great for almost 2 weeks, took 2 NSAIDs only. I was so happy about it but did not realize that it was from the diet.
When Christmas came I kicked the diet away and ate all kinds of delicious and starchy food on the last week of the year.
Well on January 1st I had a terrible flare that remmembered my first symptoms year and half ago. So I finally realized that it could have something to do with my diet.
I started the NSD at the same day and began searchig for information in english. That's how I found this forum and also bought Mrs Sinclair's book.
All I can tell you in 13 days of diet is that I'm already feeling so good. What really amazes me is how fast this diet showed results for me. My last NSAID was 6 days ago and I feel like I will no longer need it.

Thanks to all of you for sharing so important information. Wish you a wonderfull 2012.I will keep posting my results.

Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
That's fantastic Leo! Keep at it and keep us posted!

Iritis first diagnosed in 1991, presently recurrent and steroid resistant.
Tested HLA B27 positive in 1996.
AS diagnosed October of 2011.

Putting most of my eggs in the NSD and exercise basket, using only TENS, massage, heat and ice, and NSAIDS (sparingly) for pain. Drops for iritis as flare necessitates. Looking back I feel I would have been diagnosed with AS years ago, if I had found a rheumy earlier than 2011.
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
That's awesome, Matt. Would love to hear an update if you have a chance. Hope it's going well.

Get busy living! www.sickopportunity.com
Bob Connors

Me and my girls
Y
New_Member
New_Member
Y
hi iam 34 years old. iam one more story of missdiagnosed AS.In my good fortune i dont have aggressive AS. i had since my 22 when i started to fill pain in my SJ(left) for short times one per year. i was doing intensively sports(martial arts) so any time i was think that was injury. After 10 years of periodically pain in my SJ and many doctors that they didnt manged to diagnose my problem i did the diagnose in my own.The significant was that the first HLAB27 test was negative. But was wrong. I found finally good reumatologist that told me that probably my HLAB27 was positive. I did it again, and guess...yes i was positive.He told me that i have to be active in sports, and i have to use NSAIDS9(Arcoxia 90 mg) when i fill pain.About 1,5 year the pain in my SJ was almost dissapear but i had pain in my left hip.
I found the book of carole's Sinclair and i try to do the NSD about the last 8 months. I think that it is very helpfull to me,specially in interaction with arcoxia. Also i do omeopathy and i think that is usefull.
So SJ pain almost dissapear.
Hip pain in my left hip is the active subject for me, but i think that the NSD is very helpfull. I didnt have any significant pain in the last 6 months. The last week i had pain (2-3 in scale) in my left hip. i took 2 days therapy with arcoxia and conteporary NSD and no LSD in that case.i had very good improvement.So till now i did LSD and when i had any pain up to 2 (no very often) i used NSAiDS with NSD.
Very important to be active . a lot of bodybuilding, bicycle, martial arts(but no my love tang soo do that i have 3 rd dan black belt)because i think is extremely hard for my hip.The september i received a part in triathlon champion and i felt very very nice.
i am very interest in any athlete with AS for experiences and training tactics. That was the most hard to me, when u have the dillema that i prefer one disease that doesnt hurt my joints because i want to be active. Keep on fight my brothers god bless you. i will be in touch with u for any detail and any interactive helpful tips.

H
New_Member
New_Member
H
Hi Kanice,

My iron levels seem to be ok at the moment. I was taking iron tablets. I think it was moret o do with being tired from pain.
I now am only working 4 days and I kind of feel a bit better at the moment.
In terms of an iron skillet, I have no idea where to get one. I am in OZ and most things that are in America or europe are called something different here.
Thanks for the reply.

L
New_Member
New_Member
L
Hello everybody, I posted my first message in January 11th about my short experience with NSD and how excited I was about it. Today, after 40 days in this diet I can messure how much I improved by the days between NSAID's.
Before the diet I was taking Meloxicam (7,5 mg) avery 2 or 3 days, now I'm taking avery 4 to 5 days. The fast results during the first days really made me think I could quit Meloxicam after a couple of weeks. That didn't happened, but I'm stil very motivated and hopefull.
My impression is that the first results came very fast but the improvements are comming slowly. Anyone had the same experience? Can I expect more improvements in short term? Any Advices?
Thank's for the help.

By the way, Yiannis, it was very nice to read your post, because I'm also very active and one of my major worries is to have to stop doing the sports I like. Cycling is my favorite and usual practice and I think it helps me a lot.

Y
New_Member
New_Member
Y
u have o lot of time to be in balance.....keep walking....in my case in the beggining i was dissaponted the first 4 months....but if i compare today with the previous february iam 70% better...u have to give time to your body and u will see the difference....simultaneously u have to do your exercise and sports, drink water .....

the last 1 month i have begin aloe, ippofaes, gonji...for more balanced diet than supplements...but i dont want to give it so early as a helpfull tips.i will be in touch for my experience..

i drink and fish oil in liquid(maxepa)for years that i think that is usefull.

A
New_Member
New_Member
A
Hello! It may be a bit early to be posting a success story but I can't help it! My husband was diagnosed with AS in 2005 at the age of 32. His story is similar to many of those who have posted. He started with back pain that he thought was from an old injury or just aches and pains of getting older. His rheumy started him on Remicade & Vicoden and advised him to quit his electrician job for a desk job. He did okay for about two years when the Remicade stopped working. From there he went from biologic to biologic while progressively getting worse. He eventually got so bad that he became permanantly disabled.

When the rheumy couldn't manage his pain, he was referred to a pain management clinic and started on stronger and stronger meds. It's been an extremely difficult time watching him suffer and deteriorate. His hips and spine have been the worst affected but other joints flare. He suffered from iritis flares, stomach upset, heartburn and a general feeling of malaise that he described as having the the flu permanantly.

As life in general began to get too overwhelming, I sought counseling. My counselor assigned me "homework" of joining a caregiver support group. I was putting it off because I didn't think I had time to go to a support group, so I thought I'd find one online. That's when I found KickAS. I was reading the forums and came across the NSD. I shared it with my husband who was in such pain that he said that while he loved bread, he'd gladly trade the bread for less pain.

We started reading and testing food with iodine. By the end of the first week, the "flu" feeling was gone. By the 2nd week, the pain was improving. We are in the 2nd month now and just learned that the Vicoden that he still takes is full of starch---that's the next to go. But overall he is doing so much better I don't even know what to do with myself!

This is the first time in years that we both have hope for the future. He's suddenly interested in his old hobbies again. He's dragging me off to the store just so he can get out of the house. He's lost some of the weight that he had put on while being inactive. (So have I! blush)

For the most part, he hasn't had too much trouble sticking to the diet. We got Carol Sinclair's book and stocked up on almonds, fruit, veggies, meats for grilling, cheeses, etc. I've been enjoying trying some of the recipies for baking with almond and coconut flour. I made coconut flour cupcakes tonight that were decadent!

I have to say that we are dissapointed that all the brochures and physician advice he's been given over the years said nothing about diet. I wonder what life would be like had the NSD been communicated to us on the day that we found out he had AS. Of course, we also know that the man he was back then probably wouldn't have readily given up bread. He was a big, bad, smoking, drinking electrician! I still think if he'd known all these years that starch was the enemy, maybe, just maybe...well anyway, can't go back in time, can we?

The important thing is that KickAS & Professor Ebringer have given us a beautiful gift. The gift of hope. We'll take it!!!

Loving wife of a spondy

Diagnosed in 2005. Went through a string of biologics, loads of pain meds with little success and lots of scary side effects. Found the No Starch Diet in 2012 and having great success. Reducing pain meds for the first time!
Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)