Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#518998 - 08/22/18 06:58 PM Running out of FMLA
mutagen Offline
New_Member

I recently returned to work from 10 weeks on short-term disability at the end of July. My neck and upper back pain have gradually worsened. I'm a software engineer and I'm having a tough time sitting and working on a computer. At times, I can't raise my head to look at the computer screen. I've taken multiple painkillers, anti-inflammatories, and muscle relaxants, but I'm still in too much pain to function and work. Nothing seems to work

I've been off of work for the past week and a half. I got a call from my HR department telling me that I'm nearly out of FMLA and once I'm out of FMLA and PTO that they would have no choice. HR didn't mention termination explicitly, but it was pretty clear that is what she meant. I'm always in pain and have worked with it, but when I can't take my mind off the pain, I can't deal with it.

I found it disconcerting when she said, "if you're keeping yourself from work, you should return immediately." She mentioned my boss is complaining that my absences are interfering with deadlines. I get the feeling that HR is building up a file to fire me one way or another.

What should I do? I'm running out of FMLA. I'm in pain all of the time and get exhausted frequently and miss work about 2-3 days a month.

#519001 - 08/23/18 04:44 AM Re: Running out of FMLA [Re: mutagen]
Frederick
Unregistered

Some people manage to work right up to retirement even with A.S. Personally I gave up at the age of 33. As it turned out it was the best thing I could have done. My wife worked full time and I became a "house husband". With two young children it worked out very well for me and my wife. The wife enjoyed her work and I enjoyed looking after the kids. Obviously this would not work for everyone but there must come a time for at least some when we must decide just how important work is for us.

#519006 - 08/24/18 10:04 AM Re: Running out of FMLA [Re: mutagen]
Smed Offline
Senior_AS_Kicker

Is it possible to get a variable desk or work station that you can rotate between sitting and standing.

#519048 - 09/18/18 12:27 AM Re: Running out of FMLA [Re: mutagen]
rumble Offline
Supreme_AS_Kicker

Loc: NE Oklahoma
Does your employer have STD that would kick in after the FMLA is exhausted? Then the STD would transfer to LTD, then the SSD upon approval.
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9

#519089 - 10/08/18 12:14 PM Re: Running out of FMLA [Re: mutagen]
Dotyisle Offline

Loc: Rosario, Argentina
Sorry to read about your situation... in States I was accountant and had similar issues sitting in chair most of the day and 1st week of each month (close week) meant a lot of sitting.

Agree it is hard to work when have AS pain getting in the way. I had some similar thoughts 15-20 years ago when I went through my worst with AS regarding FMLA.. when I looked into LTD I was not covered due to pre-existing condition clause.

Hope you can find some answers to the pain and some answers regarding STD/LTD. In my personal case I fortunately found some solutions to the pain and i have managed to continue working.

BTW - i now work in Argentina and work with translating SW strings.. maybe I am translating your work smile

Tim

KONK - Keep ON Kicking

Who's Online
0 registered (), 92 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
cosentyx is a winner
by finnari
11/15/18 12:50 PM
Moon: Lunar cycle and symptom changes
by Robin_H
11/12/18 01:25 PM
Essential Oils as topical anti-microbials
by Robin_H
11/06/18 11:05 AM
Grand Junction