Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#518699 - 05/12/18 03:58 PM Medical Marijuana
zheron Offline
New_Member

Been a lurker here for ages but thought I would share some recent success. I have tried Atkins low carb diet over the years mainly to loose weight but noticed I often had more energy and didn't get what I call 'the AS flu' when I was on the diet. I get this feeling like I've got the flu all the time and I just want to crawl in bed and sleep until the next ice age. I don't generally get that feeling while on the diet but I do still get the pain.

But I recently discovered another breakthrough. After 10 years of taking opiates I finally decided to try medical marijuana. Now let me first say that it's not a miracle cure, and it's not a complete replacement for other therapies, BUT. I did find that the one thing we all deal with... that waking up in the morning feeling like you've been run over by a truck. I don't get that... in fact I wake up feeling like I slept on a cloud with angels. I feel fantastic in the morning. I take 10mg of THC in oil form and in addition I vape about 5mg. This is enough to make you pretty cloudy, so I recommend only at bedtime. But I must say I have never woke up feeling more relaxed and pain free since I was a teenager, let alone since my diagnosis.

During the day unfortunately my results are not as spectacular. First, even if I could get away with it at work, I don't want to be high all the time. So I don't vape, and I only take about 5mg of oil in the morning and another 5mg at lunch. It seems to be enough to relax me, take the edge off and not make me feel high at all.

Admittedly the marijuana does make staying on the diet harder, haha. But I suppose we have to take our victories where we can find them.

Anyway, just thought I would share. In this day and age where legitimate opiate patients are under attack I feel like this is a great option people should look into. Don't let the stigma or the worry of 'being high' dissuade you from at least checking it out. I found results even at relatively low dosages.

I couldn't be happier. My wife even mentioned to me that I seem happy these days. I'm getting back into hobbies I haven't enjoyed in years, and I'm getting out of the house. She thinks the opiates made me 'depressed' or at least didn't help enough to make me 'not depressed'.

I also take the CBD oil, because the doctor wants me to, but frankly I don't think it does much. She says it helps with the inflammation while the THC helps with the pain, but I don't notice much difference whether I take it or don't.

The only downside I will admit it can be difficult to find the right 'dosage'. It seems very subjective to each individual, and you might getting a little more than intended when vaping. It seems easier to control dosage with the oil, but it takes a lot more to affect you that way so it unfortunately costs more and your FSA/HSA insurance doesn't cover it.

Anyway, give a whirl if it's legal in your area.

Another tidbit I learned is that the different strains actually do matter... THC is not THC. I find I get far better pain relief from certain strains, better relaxation from others, etc. and what the clinic people say may not be true 'for you'. Try all the different kinds and see what you like and what you don't.

Anyway, after being on a fentanyl patch and breakthrough pain meds for 10 years, it's nice to be opiate free and feeling better than I have in a long time.

#518702 - 05/13/18 04:00 AM Re: Medical Marijuana [Re: zheron]
Frederick Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker

Originally Posted By zheron

In this day and age where legitimate opiate patients are under attack

If they came up with an alternative then I would not mind so much. If they want us to stop taking opiates then they must first come up with some other way to control chronic pain. Cold turkey is not an option.

Who's Online
1 registered (swap_ap), 59 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Microbial exposure for some infants stops leukemia
by Robin_H
Yesterday at 09:33 AM
Big flare while on a biologic? Please help.
by Wilhelm
05/13/18 09:42 AM
Medical Marijuana
by zheron
05/12/18 03:58 PM
Recipe requests
by Robin_H
05/10/18 04:31 AM
NSD partial success: continue or not
by AlexR
05/09/18 06:27 AM
BIG DATA project on AS. Does it exist?