Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
AlexR Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
A
Dear community!

I am having AS and doing strict NSD for two weeks already. The whole last week I was pain free. I tried to include yogurt to my diet and probably it caused me pain. The pain is not severe but I am having it already for two days after I stopped with yogurt.

For how long usually does your pain last if triggered once by unacceptable foods?
Should I wait a little more or take an anti inflammatory pill?

Thank you for your answers!

Best, Alex

L
L33 Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
Hi AlexR

Sorry to hear you have pain again.

I was on NSD for 7 days and my pain went down from from 5 to 2/10 it does work but I was very depressed cos of low energy.

I have now stopped and the pain has returned.

Yes yogurt would cause you pain for one it is a dairy product and two it has live bacteria so it is a probiotic.

I know probiotic is supposed to help but it can sometimes have a negative effect on people with leaky gut.

I say so is because I had a tablet probiotic and it made me scream in pain my pain went from 5 to 10 I was banging my bed cos I was so in pain.

The only thing I could assume is that the new bacteria I added was leaking into my boodsteam and making things worse or it offset my microbiome in an adverse way.

The same thing could be happening to you.

People generally stop dairy and sugars when on NSD as well.

I didnt stop sugar and dairy( milk only) since I love tea but I could not bring my pain down to 0 I know sugar and/or dairy(cows milk) could have been the problem.

All the best

HLA B27+
Have AS since the age of 13.
Diagnosed in 2005 at the age of 22

J
Active_Member
Active_Member
J
Dear Alex, I'm sorry about your increased pain with yoghurt. There are so many factors that could be playing a role that it is difficult to give definitive answers.

Yoghurt would work for some, but not for others. I found that the yoghurt I initially tried contained starch that wasn't listed (I did the iodine test). I switched to a very pure brand. I also know that I'm very sensitive to lactose and some brands have more residual lactose than others. To be on the safe side, I always left my yoghurt out of the fridge for 24 hours before opening,to try to reduce the lactose. In people who can't digest lactose, it would pass through to the bowel undigested and would become a food source for the bacteria we're trying to starve. You might also want to try yoghurt from different sources - I found that goatsmilk worked better for me.

We all vary in our level of sensitivity. I've found that some mild pain can disappear within hours, other pain can take up to five days. It might depend on how sensitive you are, and it might also depend on your transit time (how quickly your food moves through you). In a person who is constipated the pain is most likely to last longer, until the offending food has left the body, so if this is a problem it might be a good idea to get things moving.

The decision to take an anti-inflammatory ta a subjective one. I haven't had one for more than a year because I feel that they have compromised my gut and are contributing to my problem, so even when my pain is bad I avoid them. But only you know what you can tolerate.

The subject of PRObiotics was raised though I'm unable to read that post while writing this. My experience is that I have to choose my probiotic very carefully. Avoid anything that contains inulin, FOS (fructooligosaccharides) or any other PREbiotic. (A prebiotic is a food for a probiotic and can also feed the bad bacteria). I at one stage even had to avoid maltodextrin in probiotics but find that this is no longer an issue. I personally also have to avoid anything that contains s.boulardii, a yeast that is often added to probiotics. My suggestion is write it all down. Write down how long it takes you to get over this so that you know next time. Good luck getting back to pain free! Jane

Spondyloarthropathy with symptoms of AS, Sjögrens and fibro. Previously took Celebrex, Methotrexate, Trepiline, Prednisone which seemed to trigger a flare and my illness became much worse. Symptoms now kept mostly under control with NSD, as well as cutting sugar, dairy and yeast and food intolerances. Mostly pain free now and all symptoms massively improved.

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 54 guests, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM