Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#518456 - 03/17/18 03:43 PM Re: AS controlled [Re: Arindam]
Smed Offline
Senior_AS_Kicker

Depending on where your ancestry comes from and your genes, different diets work individuals. I do well on a high protein low starch. My motto is if it is green, No pun for Saint Patrick's Day, has a face or is produced by a face I do fine.

#518457 - 03/18/18 12:51 PM Re: AS controlled [Re: Robin_H]
Arindam Offline
Active_Member

Loc: Dubai,UAE and Kolkata,India
Robin,

My diet is simple - Fruits in the morning(till 12pm). Raw veggie Juice at 2.00pm and then rice(basmati), typically home cooked vegetable curry and / or fish curry. Yes I do eat lentils. Same at 8.00pm.

I dont worry about starch.We are traditionally non vegetarian (as we are from coastal India) but now I am almost vegan and eat fish rarely.

Just no milk/milk products. No meat. No poultry . This has healed my gut and so no abnormal inflammatory response in my body.

HTH, good luck!

Arindam

#518463 - 03/18/18 10:12 PM Re: AS controlled [Re: Smed]
Robin_H Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: Hubei, China
Yes Smed, I agree. Tolerated diet has much to do with our genes and how they are regulated as our neuroimmune system LEARNS to interact with our microbiome. There is ample evidence that diet can also feedback through our nuroimmune system to alter gene expression and that that gene expression carries over to the next generation mostly through the mother. What your great grandmother ate, thought and experienced is passed on to you.

It is said that the mother spends her whole life preparing her body to nurture the baby. That isn't sexists and science shows that epigenitics and the microbiome are strongly intertwined and inherited. Genes are a minority of the story. Cultural and social capital in the sense of resources, values and habits are passed on too; it all matters.

I like the way these two contrasting rationales for what is the right diet exemplify how important empirical evidence is in comparison to just a good theory that convincingly weaves facts together.

The empirical diet (diets are individualistic):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z03xkwFbw4

The theoretical diet (there is one diet for all humans):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wG3b3ql34A

Again, diet can alter gene expression. We are not locked into a diet based on our genes but I do suspect that optimum health is subtly dictated by genes.

Having that dreaded HLA-B27 gene seems to be a detriment if you eat grains: there is anthropological evidence that rates of vertebra fusion was abnormally high among migrants that moved from the northern latitudes into Egypt to work and ended up eating more grains (note: the story that King Tut had AS has changed). But perhaps having the HLA-B27 gene also reduces the rates of cancer and suseptibialty to pathogens -- it's a double edged sword!

But having emphasized the importance of "evidence" I still think there are times that doctors need to treat the patient and symptoms instead of the blood tests and biopsies for humanitarian purposes.

Sometimes you just have to have faith. For example, I had faith that the prophecies of the Standard Model of Particle Physics was correctly prophecizing the existence of the Higgs Boson -- it just had to exist to make the model work and there was way too much evidence already supporting the model. And so it was observed 40 years after its prediction! Related to that, the evidence is growing that gravity is not a fundamental force field but actually an emergent property of more fundamental principles in physics. Lastly, I take a leap of faith and hypothesize that nothing is real but consciousness. So maybe I can just think my diseases away! grin

Enough said!

May the Force be with you, always!
Robin
During age 47 (2015) from NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation (started from from skull and progressed down to sacrum). Included psoriasis. Trigger in scull was reverse blockage in a SCUBA mishap in 2013. Straw that broke the camels back was over use of NSAIDs. NSD works well but not perfect. Strong involvement between symptoms and gut integrity.

#518464 - 03/18/18 10:32 PM Re: AS controlled [Re: Arindam]
Robin_H Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker

Hi Arindamn:

What methods do you use to cook food: fried in oil (and what oils), steamed, boiled, broiled, baked,...?

I agree that if a person can not get uncontaminated meats then it is best to be a vegetarian. Due to some health damaging sugar type in red meats they are even more off the diet list irregardless if they are organically grass fed. Eat red meat only in emergencies like airplane crashes in the high mountains.

I am noticing that I do not seem to be reacting too badly to Thai glutenous rice. However if I eat other types of rice or nuts then my whole body turns into fire. Sadly, I am sneaking in yogurt and egg into my pancakes made from the Thai glutenous rice. Perhaps I should take your advice and eliminate the egg and yogurt.

Thanks!

May the Force be with you!
Robin
During age 47 (2015) from NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation (started from from skull and progressed down to sacrum). Included psoriasis. Trigger in scull was reverse blockage in a SCUBA mishap in 2013. Straw that broke the camels back was over use of NSAIDs. NSD works well but not perfect. Strong involvement between symptoms and gut integrity.

#518570 - 04/16/18 06:47 AM Re: AS controlled [Re: Arindam]
MSKumar Offline
New_Member

Loc: Hyderabad, India
Hi Arindam,

How is your health now? Is it good to use Fruits, because I saw some post stating not to eat fruits due to fructose. Being Veg finding diet without rice & fruits is very difficult.

#518655 - 05/01/18 12:32 PM Re: AS controlled [Re: Arindam]
L33 Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker

Loc: South Africa
Thanks Arindam for your post it is very inspirational....

I have done NSD for 7 days and felt a reduction in pain but still had noticeable pain...

Due to the diet being too taxing on my energy levels and me feeling Depressed I stopped the diet....

Your diet is very motivating and seems simple enough with loads of energy sources...but giving up tea for me and cigarettes will be difficult...but I know I have to....I work in the engineering field and work on designs in front of the PC all day...I look forward to my breaks...currently they keep me sane.

I am going to try your diet in the weeks to follow...have to go shopping first...

All the best..

Lee

Edited by L33 (05/01/18 12:36 PM)

#518658 - 05/02/18 01:43 AM Re: AS controlled [Re: L33]
Robin_H Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker

My juicer arrived last night and I will begin using it tonight. Dr Axe has some appealing veg juice recipes.

For the past two weeks I've been eating fruits in the morning along with coffee with cinnamon. Coffee is bad for the gut and I can feel it. Shame on me!

A POSITIVE!!: Immune improvement regarding fighting off a more than 30 day-old respiratory infection began fast once putting the fruit into the diet, but a side effect seems to have been a symptom spread into the small joints of my fingers and toes. However I must confess to enjoying too much chocolate with the coffee. I was OVER-indulging on pecans, almonds and cashews too. Been throwing in a bit of yogurt and occasional cream into the coffee too. And about four days ago I added bovine colostrum. Too many variables. Mind you fruit and a little dairy have been the major changes when new symptoms surfaced. I have sinned with nuts, coffee and chocolate in the past without spread of symptoms. However the spread might just be its own thing.

But there is no more nuts or chocolate in the house, and now that the juicer has arrived I will be consuming only:
  • vegetable and herb juices.
  • fruits in the morning.
  • gentle herbal teas any time of the day and green tea mostly with food (I find green tea hard on the gut).
  • Bovine colostrum (6g 20 mins before breakfast and 6 grams before bed). Sleep quality immediately improved and has been consistent since beginning colostrum about a week ago. The purpose of colostrum is gut healing, pathogen killing and immune system regulation.
  • chicken a few times a week.
  • many supplements including fish oil.
  • Taiwan sausage on Saturday and Sunday.

I'll report back in two weeks (16th).

I have found one table spoon of apple cider vinegar in a 500 ml mug to be excellent for my digestion! I drink at least two a day.

Dairy feels to be strong negative. The starchy nuts too. My buttocks, hips and sacrum are burning, and so are my eye orbitals. The neck is stiff and crunching a lot too. My worst habit is a lack of discipline -- diet and exercise.

I believe that my "AS" symptoms really are a side effect of MSIDS and that MSIDS should not be exclusively associated with Lyme just as Kelbsiellia should not be exclusively thought to cause AS (could cause other diseases depending on genetics), and nor should AS be thought to be caused only by Klebs.

My last tip is to set my phone alarm to go off every 40 minutes to remind me to drop whatever I am doing and do some Yoga; it really helps keep the burning low, which probably also reduces tissue damage.

May the Force be with you!

#518659 - 05/02/18 02:01 AM Re: AS controlled [Re: Arindam]
Robin_H Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker

It is tough to forego meats.

As to other solids... I am scared of lentils and rice. I tried Thai glutenous rice for a few days and it really hurt! Red kidney beans were even worse. Millet soaked for 24 hours before cooking was a tasty morning treat but it does drive up inflammation! I have, but have not tried mung beans and Jasmine brown rice.

I am too fearful of eating those starches. Eating only cucumbers, some pickles, broccoli, and other cooked or raw greens is too monotonous and would leave me constantly hungry! What to do to feel satiated?

Of course I have lots of coconut oil, olive oil, olives, avocado, but those fats just are not enough. Suggestions???

#518693 - 05/11/18 03:46 AM Re: AS controlled [Re: Robin_H]
Arindam Offline
Active_Member

So its about 2 months from your last post,are you on a vegan diet now? I am sure you are doing better. Good luck!

#518694 - 05/11/18 03:48 AM Re: AS controlled [Re: Arindam]
Arindam Offline
Active_Member

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
1 registered (swim2lakes), 82 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Spondylitis and CRP
by pspondylitis
07/17/18 12:25 PM
Help sudden severe new symptoms
by lulu12
07/14/18 09:11 PM
Radon Health Mine Therapy in Boulder MT
by Ann1965
07/14/18 06:56 PM
Carnitine