Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#518285 - 02/23/18 07:23 PM Fasting
Glassneck Offline
New_Member

Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada
I searched for fasting but didn't really come across a specific thread. I have been eating on the path to health for several years to combat psoriatic arthritis/ pre-AS. I started the Plant Paradox diet in August 2017 with great results till late fall when joint troubles and psoriasis came back, perhaps worse than when I started. I would like to take elimination dieting to the max. And like usual reading one link lead to another and hear I am! I am male in my early fifties. My weight is just over 140 lbs for a 5'-10" frame. So that's my first concern for a decent length fast. I thought I would like to try for 5 days. Are supplements omitted during the fast? I was planning on booking an appointment with my Naturopathic doctor to see how much assistance that would be. I did find some articles in Dropbox which were very helpful, I will have to see if I saved them.

#518307 - 02/26/18 10:29 PM Re: Fasting [Re: Glassneck]
DragonSlayer Offline
AS Czar

Loc: Reno or SFLU Philippines
WELCOME, Glassneck:

In my signature, the dropbox link to "Important AS Resources" contains Max Garten's chapter on fasting. The most actual weight we can lose is about 0.5 pounds per day, but a lot of water weight and stomach contents will be gone by day 5: Total apparent loss would be about 12 pounds, almost 10 of which will come back upon resumption of normal consumption.

Good Luck with it!

John

Professor Ebringer: On Diet and AS;

RED ARROW --> Philippines

#518322 - 03/01/18 06:13 AM Re: Fasting [Re: Glassneck]
Glassneck Offline
New_Member

OK my plan is to do 2 days of mono diet of apples leading into a fast of 5 days. Then eat eggs and vegetable juice to re-introduce foods. I was a little concerned about pesticides used on apples but have decided to just wash them well and not peel them.

Thanks for the inspiration John!

#518334 - 03/03/18 11:42 AM Re: Fasting [Re: Glassneck]
L33 Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker

Loc: South Africa
Hi Guys

Fasting does help me, but when I start eating again the pain comes back.....

This made me realize that the GUT plays a major role in this disease.

#518335 - 03/03/18 04:17 PM Re: Fasting [Re: L33]
DragonSlayer Offline
AS Czar

Hello, L33:

You might be aware that several other members had wonderful results while fasting but there was absolutely no food which did not cause a flare. After over a year of experimentation, one fellow found that he had increased heavy metal load, and I think chelation helped this but eventually the NSD worked.

I never thought that the several rounds of chelation I did to lower the inflammation during a severe flare might have had other benefits, but the diet did work for me but I chose to augment with antibiotics very early into my LSD/NSD.

While I don't have an adequate explanation as to why heavy metals might play some role, it is worth having an analysis; a naturopath should know how to do this properly.

HEALTH,
John

#518336 - 03/03/18 04:20 PM Re: Fasting [Re: Glassneck]
DragonSlayer Offline
AS Czar

Hey, Glassneck!

Hope You are doing well on Your regimen; please keep us updated and feel free to ask any questions. You are doing the right thing and all I can say is just to not try much physical exertion during the apples and fasting and stay well away from stress and stressful situations.

HEALTH,
John

#518416 - 03/13/18 09:48 PM Re: Fasting [Re: Glassneck]
Glassneck Offline
New_Member

I've got 2 days of apples under my belt now, planning on one more day. I consumed 7 apples daily and they were smallish (115g). I fasted 16 hours before my first one and about 14 going into the next day. Wasn't really having any hunger issues. perhaps mild headache but I had small coffees preceding and am caffeine sensitive so it may have been withdrawl. Normal bowel movements each morning : )

Edited by Glassneck (03/13/18 09:48 PM)

#518420 - 03/14/18 06:12 AM Re: Fasting [Re: Glassneck]
Frederick Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker

I just hope you don't expect all this fasting nonsense to be doing you any good

#518429 - 03/15/18 01:15 AM Re: Fasting [Re: Glassneck]
DragonSlayer Offline
AS Czar

CONGRATULATIONS, Glassneck:

Did You finish up the 3 days of apples with a lot of EVOliveOil? I had so much last half of day 3 that I gagged and could hardly look at the stuff for a couple of months...

It usually takes me 4 days fasting to take down a flare, but any amount of fasting is good. As I state in my introduction to Dr. Garten's chapter, it is difficult to withdraw from food and caffeine at the same time.

Because I have completed so many fasts (I suppose), I never get that headache; used to start second half of day one, all of day two and then disappear totally. Could have been caffeine withdrawals but I never drank that much of it (not a coffee drinker--just diet Coke).

Again, CONGRATULATIONS on being in that uncomfortable state that most people avoid--

HEALTH,
John

#518431 - 03/15/18 06:01 AM Re: Fasting [Re: Glassneck]
Robin_H Offline
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: Hubei, China
Not eating makes me feel much better. I am finding that people with many different illnesses report the same experience and there are many factors to this phenomenon. The major common factor is the gut and its inhabitants in general. A related and specific factor is that our body becomes intolerant of its healthy microbiome due to mast cell proliferation. This is similar to how people's sinuses become overly sensitive to common fungi and their byproducts. Low Does Immunotherapy (LDI) might be a solution. Another one that I heard was in the works a couple years ago was pills to take to bind to LPS in the gut before it can trigger the immune system.

Leaky gut can be healed but I have not learned of any way to correct problems with mast cells. I have read that the longer LGS exists due to allergies, infections, etc, the more the mast cells proliferate. I do not know if their numbers can be reduced.

Ya'll might get some hints/ideas from this Lyme disease and gut health video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rma1co2LCQ

P.S. Cynicism, pessimism and a bad boss will contribute to LGS just as a slow drizzle will carve the grand canyon over eons of time. The rain is light but it will have its effect! On that note... here is something to make your gut happy... these guys are funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqUYLAQDXMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P63SSg1sTao
During age 47 (2015) from NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation (started from from skull and progressed down to sacrum). Included psoriasis. Trigger in scull was reverse blockage in a SCUBA mishap in 2013. Straw that broke the camels back was over use of NSAIDs. NSD works well but not perfect. Strong involvement between symptoms and gut integrity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 102 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Phage therapy
by j87x
06/15/18 06:06 PM
Keystone Approach probiotic guide
by j87x
06/13/18 07:23 PM
hot chili peppers reduce inflammation
by Robin_H
06/12/18 05:39 AM
anyone get heart arrithmyia?
by worldofme
06/08/18 09:21 AM
Night Time Pain Killer
by mutagen
06/07/18 06:19 AM
Family member diagnosed
by Magician
06/04/18 01:43 AM
Cuvitru then added Stelera, anyone else.
by Luvnlife
06/02/18 10:16 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
"FITNESS" TEAM! - All Physical Activity & Sports 38,163,771
hmmm 2,018,479
Has anyone had Pedicle subtraction Osteotomy ? 1,695,989
What to do about healthcare? Can it be fixed? 1,127,232
User names revisited 933,172
Medicinal Marijuana 858,703
A.S and beds, What do you find best? 839,602
OMG!!!! 795,342
No/Low Starch Diet Success Stories 601,028