Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
GemStar Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
G
Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with AS and the rheumatologist didn't give me any information. I'm taking Gabapentin and Diclofenac but after 15 months I'm still unable to lie flat in bed due to rib pain. The pain in my ribs radiates the whole way around my ribs. The consultant who didn't know about the condition was sure the rib pain is nothing to do with AS. Does anyone else have pain in the ribs? Also my arms ache and feel heavy and tired from being held higher than my waist and I have achy fingers. Is this typical? thanks vey much for reading. x

AS Czar
AS Czar
Hello, GemStar:

So ... a "consultant?!!" And a consultant who is very obviously completely ignorant about AS sounds more dangerous than useful. Stock market tips? What good is such a consultant?? Say to them "YOU'RE FIRED!" because such terrible lack of knowledge can only cost You.

Costochondritis is nearly universal with AS; we get very severe ribcage pains at times: A very DIRECT RESULT OF AS.

Diclofenac is the drug that worked very well against my AS pain but due to side effects it greatly accelerated the progression (permanent skeletal damage) of this disease. I have no experience with gabapentin; perhaps it is a less dangerous drug than all NSAIDs.

The disease process in AS begins several years before we begin to notice the pains and too often a diagnosis is obtained six to ten years later. Typically, the first X-ray damage in AS is fusion of the SIJs. I know from direct experience that NSAIDs will not prevent this damage (and can even make it happen much faster than otherwise), but the biologic drugs have some hope of slowing this down but nothing is as effective as diet. Another very common DMARD is sulfasalazine and it is most effective when enteric-coated and of course combined with proper diet for AS (London AS Diet as a minimum).

I hope You are able to find the relief You deserve,

HEALTH,
John

F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
Originally Posted By DragonSlayer

but nothing is as effective as diet.

All I have to say about that is that I disagree.

G
GemStar Offline OP
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
G
Hi John, thank you for your advice. The consultant was dismissive and told me on my initial consultation that it probably wasn't AS. He tried not to tell me my diagnosis at the 2nd appointment following MRI as he was too arrogant to say he was wrong. As a result of other problems with him I am now switching DRs and just waiting to see someone else. I am relieved I'm not going mad about my ribs and its likely to be connected. I have had lower back issues for 14 years, I had problems moving my neck 5years ago. I've now had severe rib pain for 15 months, so they finally did MRI. Thanks sooo much for listening to me and I hope you have a fab weekend.x

F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
Originally Posted By GemStar

The consultant was dismissive and told me on my initial consultation that it probably wasn't AS.

You have all the classic symptoms of A.S. Bloody doctors!

M
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
M
Can relate to rib pain and fingers been there. Diet brought me out of it. Good luck figuring it out, everyone is different.
ETTE
Darrel

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 103 guests, and 82 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM