Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I
Ike Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
I
I too have used VSAB very strong anti biotics to kick some AS
Shotgun n the rifle range
100% accurate
try to avoid last resort they work
fasts ect better
diet diet location
Had to change everything to kick my AS

Last edited by Ike; 03/29/18 03:53 AM.
I
Ike Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
I
I don't mean to be flippant . Anti biotics are effective in bad situations ..like..why are we here
Avoid if you can but if you are dying a slow death cipro for me no Flagyl
This [*bleep*] is serious!!

P
New_Member
New_Member
P
exacta, whats the latest on your antibiotics journey. I'm really curious!

E
Exacta Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
E
I went off the abx for about a week or so and had several days of zero pain, which I considered to be great progress. Also I have been off anti-TNF for several months. I've also managed to avoid the sort of debilitating pain and fatigue which previously have prompted me to go on 48 hour fasts. Since Dec I have managed to put on 10 lb (168 lb -> 178 lb).

I went back on tetra and flagyl just prior to a week long vacation (cruise) where I knew my diet could be shaky at times. Overall results were decent, but the pain has certainly been coming back in the last few days. I have decided to embark on a third round (11 days) of Cipro.

As I have said, the overall trend has been my friend. I am putting on weight, fatigue is improved, the bad days are not as bad, etc.

P
New_Member
New_Member
P
Hi Exacta,
its been a while, i wonder what the latest is on your ABX experiments.

E
Exacta Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
E
Hey Patchy - Overall trend is still in the right direction. I've noticed I can take down any flare much faster now with something like a 36 hr fast rather than 48-60. I can tolerate alcohol better without flaring.

E
Exacta Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
E
Did another round of Cipro in October and responded well. Following that round, I hit the probiotic foods hard, and also did a 30 day trial of Mutaflor.

I had an extended 2 week period with zero pain following this, which was awesome. Ended up flaring again, and went on a maintenance cycle of Tetracycline, and I have again had an extended period of no pain.

I'm now about 2 years into strict NSD. Dairy sparingly. I can tolerate alcohol much better.

Overall trend is still in my favor, and I am hopeful to achieve true remission in the coming years.

E
Exacta Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
E
I wanted to update this thread, because like many I assume, we fade away from the forums as we have success. Sometime in late 2019, I achieved full remission. I slowly became more adventurous in my eating. Eventually relapsing in the full blown SAD (standard American diet). While some minor pain creeped in here and there, I never made any adjustments.

Now here in early 2021, I can say that I am at last back in a full flare up. I am certainly anxious about the idea that I have again made myself sick (after 2-3 years of hard work), but what I can do but besides get back onto the wagon?

E
Exacta Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
E
Hello all - I wanted to give an update and give an overall timeline of my disease progression.

Late 2016 - Developed classic AS symptoms. I was able to self-diagnose fairly quickly because I had had a previous bout of reactive arthritis in 2008, knew I was HLAB27+, and was vigilant about potential progression to other possible (psoriasis, Chron's, etc) diseases. I found this board right away, and immediately got onto LSD/NSD. Like many, my progress was far from a straight line with a lot of frustration. Also began taking biologics.

Early 2018 - After ~14 months on strict NSD, I gave antibiotics a try. This was also far from a straight and easy path. I did several rounds of abx throughout 2018, while continuing to maintain strict NSD.

Early 2019 - At some point I figured out that not only was I no longer in pain, I could eat starchy foods with no negative results. My belief was that I had sufficiently healed my digestive tract to where my immune system was no longer reacting during digestion. Truly an amazing development, and it is an incredible feeling of accomplishment to 'cure' yourself of an 'incurable' disease through years of pain, frustration, struggle, and hard work. I want to give a huge shout out to DragonSlayer.

Mid 2021 - After 2.5 years of living similarly to my pre-AS life, I flared back up with telltale symptoms. I should note that like probably many people, the COVID pandemic represented a low point for my physical health. Lots of unhealthy starchy foods, overindulgence on alcohol, etc. So when I flared up I was concerned that I had potentially done damage that would again take years to repair. Thankfully I was able to beat back the flare within several weeks with some fasting, better eating, natural anti-microbials, and natural anti-inflammatories. I did not want to try my luck with more abx unless as a last resort.

Present (late 2022) - I am again in an uncomfortable flare up. In late 2021, I actually kicked off a lot of healthy eating and activities. By late 2021 I was up to ~225 lb, and interested in getting back into great shape. I am now all the way to 180 lb. One change I made in the past few months was to get up quite early ~5:30 am to do my exercises. I believe that perhaps just going from getting my normal 8 hrs of sleep down to 6-7 hrs may have stressed me out and inhibited my ability to properly recover. I will try the same protocol as in 2021 and hope for the best.

Last edited by Exacta; 11/30/22 04:06 PM.
E
Exacta Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
E
To update my log here-

After some fits and starts, I re-embarked on NSD in mid December along with daily 1500mg tetracycline. I also did a 2 wk course of candibactin-AR and BR. I've been a bit up and down - definitely still some pain and flaring.

About a week ago I quit the antibiotics and did a 60 hour water fast and did manage to get the pain to almost zero. I then had a pretty good 6-7 days of 0-2 on pain scale, and now I'm starting to flare back up again. I also just happened to get COVID (again), but it's pretty mild and does not seem to be interacting with any AS symptoms.

I am embarking on a new 2 wk regimen of 1600mg rifaximin and 1000mg flagyl. While I have used Cipro with success in the past, I'm trying to only use it as a last resort due to the rather more serious potential side effects.

I plan to continue cycling fasting and abx treatment. I remain pretty conscious of not wanting to lose weight. I'm currently ~175 lb and would like to stay there or slightly higher.

Last edited by Exacta; 01/13/23 01:59 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 113 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM