Originally Posted By Robin_H
How long did it take before you noticed reduction in symptoms? Did reduction in symptoms come before or after you adjusted to living without coffee? Was coffee effecting your ability to rest?

Thanks for the info in advance.

Kevin

Hello, Kevin. My irl name is Kevin as well.

For the record, I loved coffee. I quit drinking it after I pm’d another AS member on the Dr McDougall forum. I was in the middle of a flare and really disheartened. At their suggestion, I sent a list of things I was eating/drinking that were gray areas of compliance for the Mcdougall plan. He pinpointed the coffee and its aggravation of leaky gut. I was desperate and decided to quit it right then and I did. I was already so miserable the caffeine withdrawals were a walk in the park as the grogginess allowed me to sleep.

I can’t credit the coffee for alleviating the flare—I took a prednisone cycle 2 days later which got me out of that jam. I also listened to a lot of YouTube’s with Dr Michael Klaper about leaky gut and coffee and it did affirm my decision to quit it. After around a week I did notice my stomach was much more settled in the mornings. Other noteworthy changes were a natural alertness upon awakening without the process of caffeine consumption, firm, yet soft and formed stools that are easily passed, and no more afternoon slumps after lunch. I feel confident too that my gut is healed. I just have to be militant about sticking to the diet I know works for me.

With all that said, I will still never be fully unafraid of this disease.

Last edited by jackson; 01/16/18 03:37 AM.