Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
I really struggled with breakfast when I first started NSD, and found it hard to eat enough in the AM to get through the day. Now I make this ground beef and greens mix on the weekend, divide into 5 portions, and scramble a few eggs in each day. It makes breakfast quick, easy and filling.

Makes 4-5 servings

Ingredients

2x300g packages frozen spinach
1 bunch watercress, chopped
1 lb ground beef
Oil for frying
Salt and pepper to taste.

Instructions

1. Thaw spinach. Squeeze or press to remove most of liquid. Put aside.

2. In large frypan, heat oil on medium high heat. Add ground beef and cook until browned (8-10 mins).

3. Turn heat down to medium, add chopped watercress, mix gently, and cover. Cook until watercress wilts, about 3 mins.

4. Add spinach, mix again, cover. Cook 3 mins more.

5. Season to taste. Stir again. Remove from heat.

6. Divide into 4 or 5 portions.

To eat, heat up a portion, add 2-3 eggs, scramble as usual. At work I do this in the microwave - 2-3 minutes on high, works like a charm.

Sometimes I replace the watercress with kale, because watercress isn't always in stock. But kale can be starchy! Be sure to check with iodine if you're worried. Kale takes a bit longer to wilt (about 5 mins).

With 2 eggs, it comes to about 500 calories. It's also high in folate (70% of RDA) and calcium (35% of RDA), which are two nutrients that can be hard to get on NSD without dairy and grains.

Last edited by Kellybells; 01/07/18 04:05 PM.

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
A
A
Thanks for the recipe! I need those ideas and shortcuts to stay on track. Especially when I go back to work. (Just had surgery).

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Good one Kellybells, but...do not use microwave. Microwave kills the nutrition in food ! Unfreeze portion night before, in fridge, and then cook in pan with the eggs, will still only take a few mins.
Take care - thanks for good recipe -

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
M
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
M
I am going to give it a try, no kale though just can't like it as my grandson says. Thanks for the recipe.
ETTE
Darrel

K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Mulehound: I definitely prefer the watercress to the kale in this recipe! It adds a bright and sharp flavour. Kale is a poor second that I add for the sake of nutrition.

Molly: I do avoid microwaves as much as possible! Science keeps saying they're fine for nutrition but I don't buy it. At home I use a pan and at work I heat most of my meals with a mini crockpot that lives at my desk. This dish is my one exception, as i have no other way to cook this at work.

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!