Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
I too can not touch alcohol.

I have been suspecting that eggs and coffee are an obstacle to remission, but I just wont quit!! Eggs have inflammatory properties and acidic coffee destroys the microvilli in the gut which reduces nutrient absorption, increases permeability and knocks out the healthy biofilm that aids nutrient absorption and protects us from pathogens. The microbes hold on to the microvilli. If there are no microvilli then a protective layer can not form.

I am also a pecan and walnut addict. Nuts in general are another barrier for my remission.
Honey will make me suffer too.

It feels like we are having a Starch Anonymous meeting. What are our 12 steps?

Speaking of Chron's disease. Some sufferers are treating themselves with parasites. http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/04/p...cterial-balance

I suggest that AS sufferers my have actually lost a microbe that suppresses part of their immune system. Not all synergies may be detrimental; obviously there are beneficial synergies between microbes in the microbiome.

Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Originally Posted By DragonSlayer
Hello, Robin_H:

About 40% of AS patients do not have elevated ESR/CRP tracking disease activity. However, in the majority of cases, these are useful to determine disease activity. When I first started NSD, I was able to check my ESR on demand (I was in Philippines and laboratory close), and could absolutely demonstrate the effect of dietary starch on this--long before my actual perception of pain increase, which did not happen as I got much more strict.

Just as Dragonslayer notes that his ESR goes up when eating starch I had the same experience -- one time when I knew I was going to have ESR/CRP testing done I began to eat starch every day for at least a week before the test. It drove my ESR up by nine points. My CRP remained almost zero.

HLA-B27 neg, vague AS symptoms in 20s and early 30s
1993:fibromyalgia (age 25)
2013.07:Reverse blockage in a SCUBA accident
2013.08:Scratched by a sick cat
2013.09:Strange sore throat then meningitis
2014:Chronic inflammation at the base of the skull
2014 to early 2015:excess NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation, included psoriasis
NSD helped well and but was not perfect
2018.07: weak +'ve tests for borrelia, babesia, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia using Armin Lab, ANA=equivocal
L
Lon Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
L
Thanks for the update!

I keep the New Covenant,
when I fail....I am pulled
back into place by HIM.
E
Exacta Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
E
Any pitfalls to using coconut milk smoothies for extra calories? I've been doing an entire full fat can (1200 calories) with some frozen berries and honey. The milk has no additives.

Haven't been feeling great lately.. going to fast again.

Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Hi Exacta:

I have no obvious reaction to coconut oil. I sometimes eat it with a spoon out of the jar. Good stuff! It's a good cooking oil too. Sadly I don't bake with it. Homes here typically have no oven or dryer so I don't bake and most foods that I know of that contain coconut are baked goods.

Cow's butter too. I had not eaten cow's butter for about seven years only because it is rare to see in the store and for all that time I've been rarely eating the foods (buns, breads,...) that it would be put on since breads are not popular foods in central Asia. When I decided to make the journey to get butter my body screamed "where have you been all my life!?!?" I literally ate it with a spoon. No reaction.

It feels like the NSD diet is making me age since it is just vegetables and lean meats (mostly chicken). Of course the disease eats collagen too. Since NSD is so narrow I feel that nutritional supplements are a must but some kind of starch is a common filler. Why must manufactures put in fillers like that?

We must make efforts to keep calories up and that is probably best done with healthy fats.

A few days ago I tried bacon (very fatty). I cooked my eggs (literally deep fried in a wok) in the fat and then the veggies for the pseudo-omelette. I had a major REACTION!! Was in the fat type???? Any suggestions?

Last night I went out and ate a dinner that wasn't a problem many months ago. It was donkey meat with cilantro, shaved cucumbers, shaved carrot and hot peppers. Then a big dish of bok choy and garlic. It gave me a bad flare peak in the skull and neck. If I was still for a while then my hands would go numb. An aching but isn't so bad but this diseases has my head and neck, really sensitive areas. Lumbar and sacrum are trivial annoyances in comparison.

I'm struggling to diversify my foods because I feel this narrow diet is harming the microbiota and me. Also, I'm loosing my appetite for cucumber, chicken, cumber and chicken. And cucumber too.

2014 to early 2015:excess NSAID use developed complete axial inflammation, included psoriasis
2018.07: weak +'ve tests for borrelia, babesia, bartonella and mycoplasma pneumonia using Armin Lab, ANA=equivocal
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fourth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Oh, and there are differences in fat/carbohydrate ratio and nutrients between:

1) coconut water
2) coconut milk
3) coconut oil

K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
Originally Posted By Exacta
Any pitfalls to using coconut milk smoothies for extra calories? I've been doing an entire full fat can (1200 calories) with some frozen berries and honey. The milk has no additives.
What a great idea! I have a hard time finding a) enough calories from non-animal sources, and b) good sweet treats to take the place of everything that's now off limits.

I regularly eat coconut milk and have had no issues. I haven't tried with fruit but will let you know if I have any issues.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well lately....good luck with your fast.

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
E
Exacta Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
E
Does anyone know of starch-free Iodine or Vitamin K2 supplements? I have purchased two bottles of each and all four have tested positive with the Iodine test despite only listing 'plant cellulose' as an extra ingredient.

K
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
K
I use Thorne Research K2 drops. Totally starch free. Each drop is 1 mg, so it lasts a really long time.

What's the other supplement? (I'm guessing you wrote iodine by mistake)

Suspected USpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

2010 - stopped eating dairy
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2014 - stopped eating all grains
Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 98% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
E
Exacta Offline OP
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
E
Iodine was indeed the supplement. I will check out the drops, thanks!

Feel great after my fast.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 54 guests, and 81 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM