Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#517879 - 12/03/17 07:37 AM LSD - Brazilian
Marcos_R Offline
New_Member

Loc: Brazil
Hello everyone!

I have been suffering from some back pain for 3 weeks. From the first week the pain did not pass (even with painkillers) I began to suspect that it wasn't a simple pain. My father has suffered from AS for more than 20 years, from 16 to 32 years without diagnosis.
He was diagnosed in 1995 and the doctor told he should do some low-impact exercises and take indomethacin-based remedies for the rest of his life.
Anyway, from the second week I suspected not to be a simple back pain because of waking up very "locked up", stiffness and many spasms.
I did not want to believe that I could have inherited my predisposition from my father, for though he had developed the disease, none of his six brothers had, nor my grandfather. I spent some very reflective and sad days but I had to face the reality and look for some solution that would not take NSAIDS for the rest of my life.
So I found a site in portugal that was easier to understand (Portuguese is my mother tongue) and I noticed some reports about a possible remission with a starch-free diet. I searched deeper and found reports of people with more than 6 years of remission.
I thought: I can try.
For the first two weeks I could not do anything without the use of some anti-inflammatory. Every day I ate bread, butter, rice, snacks, and too little fruit. I changed. I took all the above items and add lots of fruit (except banana, and papaya from time to time) and lots of apple, melon, kiwi, grape. I extinguished rice first, and added many eggs, fish, chicken, beef, sausage (protein in general), and many vegetables. Some alerts with vegetables. Carrot, beet (little), only.
Within two days I had a 70% improvement in pain and there was no further need to take any medication.
That's how I keep. Yesterday I was 80% well and I fell into the temptation to eat a traditional jackfruit candy and today I dawned again with average stiffness, but with little pain.
I consulted a rheumatologist and she gave me some tests and talked about the possibility of my having the disease, but I'm pretty sure I did.
Thank you all for the support!
The diet really works.

One more question: here in Brazil many people get remission through a method called "coimbra protocol" eliminating gluten and using high doses of vitamin D, have you heard about it?

Sorry my very poor english.

Thank you all!

Edited by Marcos_R (12/03/17 07:40 AM)

#517892 - 12/08/17 09:54 AM Re: LSD - Brazilian [Re: Marcos_R]
Kellybells Offline
Active_Member

Loc: Toronto, ON
Hi Marcos, thanks for sharing your story. It's not an easy thing to totally change your diet like that.

I have never heard of the coimbra protocol. Doesn't make much sense to me (why high doses of vitamin D? What does gluten have to do with anything?). But I'm not surprised people improve: not eating gluten means not eating wheat, which is very high in starch. If bread and flour are someone's main starch sources then not eating them would make a big difference.

I too had trouble with carrots and beets at first. But I'm happy to say that after 10 months I can eat them more often without trouble. Hopefully you will too. Good luck!
Suspected SpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 97% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
2014 - stopped eating all grains
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2010 - stopped eating dairy

#517893 - 12/08/17 01:54 PM Re: LSD - Brazilian [Re: Marcos_R]
Marcos_R Offline
New_Member

Loc: Brazil
The coimbra protocol is a method developed by a physician at the University of São Paulo used in autoimmune diseases. A protocol base is in high doses of vitamin D.
It was first used in patients with multiple sclerosis and had obtained very relevant results.
I'm thinking of allying beyond diet and coimbra protocol. There are several comments quite promising on the internet and youtube.
I recently found a scientific paper that corroborated my thinking where it was found that high doses of vitamin D kill / inhibit Klebsiella. The link is below.

"In vitro studies proved vitamin D3 has inhibitory activity on strains of Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pyogenes, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Escherichia coli (E. coli) and other bacteria. In the presence of 50,000–90,000 IU/mL of vitamin D3, the organisms were killed or demonstrated marked growth inhibition.98 Gram-positive bacteria, invasive pneumococcal disease, meningococcal disease and group A streptococcal disease are more common when vitamin D levels are low, raising the possibility that pharmacological doses of vitamin D could be an effective adjuvant therapy."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3256336/
http://www.vitamindprotocol.com/dr.-coimbra-s-ms-protocol.html

Edited by Marcos_R (12/08/17 01:58 PM)

#517903 - Yesterday at 10:20 PM Re: LSD - Brazilian [Re: Marcos_R]
Kellybells Offline
Active_Member

Loc: Toronto, ON
Hope you'll keep us posted on how you do with the protocol. I was interested to read about its modulating effect on inflammation - I wonder if it can lessen the effect of the autoimmune response? I'm less impressed by in vitro results....that's an astonishing amount of vitamin D in an unnatural environment to achieve results, so I'm a bit skeptical. Thanks for sharing the research.

I do believe vitamin D has helped my own resistance to colds and flu. I started taking cod liver oil during the winter because of the lack of sunshine here and was surprised to find I get sick less often and less seriously, even when everyone else at work is sick. I'm not sure I would take such high doses as the protocol suggests though. There's a high risk of kidney stones and other side effects. I feel safer just doing NSD along with taking antimicrobials like oil of oregano and berberine in short cycles.

Please share your results here! I'm very curious to see how you do the protocol (how much vitamin d3 you take, what you eat, etc.)
Suspected SpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 97% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
2014 - stopped eating all grains
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2010 - stopped eating dairy

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
1 registered (jay_bharat), 89 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Urgent surgery
by AnitaC
12/10/17 05:06 PM
LSD - Brazilian
by Marcos_R
12/03/17 07:37 AM
AS and knee replacement surgery
by Alrod
12/02/17 04:12 PM
AS and major surgery