Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Leonila Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi, has anyone looked into a possibility of complications from scoliosis being diagnosed as AS? Having been able to manage my AS in the past 10 years through diet or exercise (currently exercise only), I now wonder if it is not AS at all, but rather pain due to unbalanced wear of joints due to scoliosis. Can't get much sense out of doctors, apart from them being surprised that I have not progressed as the AS diagnosis implied (without ever following their treatment routine) and that they can't either confirm or disprove AS diagnosis unless there is AS specific pain, which in my case is mostly missing... OK, it has recently started to creep back again after I started intense horse riding lessons, hence my interest in figuring out the true cause. Just for background, I have had a mildish S-type scoliosis since about 10, diagnosed with AS at 33, after some 6 years of occasional hip pain. If I remember well, an x-ray done at the time showed damage to a hip bone, but not something typically associated with AS: sharp uneven edges as if something has eaten into it.

F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
Originally Posted By Leonila
Hi, has anyone looked into a possibility of complications from scoliosis being diagnosed as AS?
There have been times in the past when I showed signs of scoliosis. They even had me in a plaster jacket to straighten my back out. Eventually the A.S. overcame any sign of scoliosis so that was forgotten about to concentrate on the A.S.

I started intense horse riding lessons,
You are playing a very dangerous game with horse riding Leonia. The waiting rooms of orthopedic surgeons always have someone who has taken a fall from a horse

AS Czar
AS Czar
Hello, Leonila:

It would be nearly impossible, especially in England, to get an AS diagnosis without the very characteristic SIJ fusion. Have You had the HLA B27 test?

AS is most often NOT diagnosed for the common misdiagnoses of fibromyalgia, and seldom offered as an answer for hip erosions.

And if You have controlled symptoms using diet, then You have noticed that the AS diets have some advantage?

HEALTH,
John

L
Leonila Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I was originally diagnosed elsewhere (HLA B27 test was done then and it was positive), but recently tried to have the diagnosis confirmed by the NHS. They did an x-ray but could not offer anything conclusive due to the absence of pain, which they said was an important part of the diagnosis. They felt there was no point to do an MRI scan as all they could offer was managing symptoms, which did not bother me anyway.

The AS diet did help, but I would still get a flare up every several weeks even when I adhered to it very strictly (in the end had to tweak the diet at each flare up).

I am off the diet since about 3 years and only get a flare up if I stop running and stretching for a longer period of time. In fact, I can normally stop a flare up from developing if I go for a decent run before I am in serious pain.

My current theory is that the no-starch diet can probably help with different types of inflammation, not just AS, but the key for me is stretching, which might be helping with hip imbalances caused by scoliosis (which, of themselves, can cause all sorts of lower back and leg pain). Plus, running produces endorphins which are painkillers and probably provide short term relief while the inflammation subsides...

AS Czar
AS Czar
Hey, Leonila:

I'm very happy to hear that You are in a state of remission; certainly exercise helps.

B27+ with chronic characteristic pains is nearly definitive of AS or "Pre-AS," as You might have found San Antonio notes provided by Ebringer.

I have no doubt that lactic acid from exercise has beneficial anti-inflammatory properties. For many people with AS, it is difficult to move around too much as the inflammation overtakes us, but it is wise to run well ahead of that downward spiral as You seem to have done.

The AS diagnosis is almost certainly correct; what You have is still inflammatory and not mechanical as scoliosis would be. Keep up the good workouts!

HEALTH,
John

L
Leonila Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you John! My logic was that mechanical damage due to scoliosis may probably still lead to inflammation, so, in the end, it becomes inflammatory too, but perhaps you are right!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 46 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,898 hmmm
1,319,692 OMG!!!!