Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#517281 - 06/12/17 07:03 AM LSD has stopped working after starchy holiday
turboflex Offline
New_Member

Loc: Cheltenham, UK
Hi All
I was diagnosed with AS about 5 years ago and have had good success with a low starch diet. I have been able to enjoy a few starchy treats per week, have occasional mild symptoms which are controlled with a small daily dose of Diclofenac (a NSAID).

This situation changed a few months ago during a holiday to India, during which I ignored the diet and ate anything I wanted to try (it was a holiday after all and there were lots of interesting foods to try). I began to get back and neck pain after 1 week. I thought I’ll endure the discomfort and get back to the low starch diet after the holiday.

However after returning home and resuming my low starch diet I don’t seem to be getting back to the almost pain-free state I was in before my trip to India. It’s been 10 weeks since my holiday and I’ve been more strict at reducing starch than I was before the holiday. I experienced some improvement but still can’t get back to how I felt before.

Has anyone had a similar experience, or can offer some advice?

#517282 - 06/12/17 12:08 PM Re: LSD has stopped working after starchy holiday [Re: turboflex]
DragonSlayer Offline
AS Czar

Loc: Reno or SFLU Philippines
Hello, turboflex:

Fasting usually got me back to normal in a few days. I believe the problem is the diclofenac causing new intestinal lesions. These non-selective NSAIDs are very bad and counterproductive as we are trying to achieve gut healing to allow the diet to work more effectively.

Try the EVOO, borage seed oil, and fresh wheatgrass juice; You can quickly get back to where You were before but stay away from NSAIDs!

HEALTH,
John

Professor Ebringer: On Diet and AS;

RED ARROW --> Philippines

#517290 - 06/13/17 03:47 PM Re: LSD has stopped working after starchy holiday [Re: turboflex]
turboflex Offline
New_Member

Thanks for the suggestions John.
It's a bit scary to think of the damage NSAID may be doing and motivating to find a drug free solution.
Are there any guidelines for fasting? How long and how often?
I presume that EVOO is extra virgin olive oil. How much would you suggest I take and how often? Is the regular supermarket EVOO ok, or would I need to get a special type?
I've read a bit about wheatgrass juice (http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/superfoods/Pages/is-wheatgrass-a-superfood.aspx) and feel that it'll be of little benefit to me since I eat lots of fruit and veg already. Also it's pretty expensive so am not going to try it at this stage.
I'll give the borage seed oil a try; an article on the Arthritis Research UK says that there's good reason to believe that it has benefits.
In some of your other posts you suggest trying eliminating dairy. I might give this a go as well; any thoughts?
I'll also try probiotic tablets. Is there a particular type I should seek out?
Cheers

#517292 - 06/14/17 12:48 PM Re: LSD has stopped working after starchy holiday [Re: turboflex]
DragonSlayer Offline
AS Czar

Loc: Reno or SFLU Philippines

Hello, turboflex:

Any EVOO should be fine--all should be "cold-pressed." About 8 teaspoonfuls daily, especially one before each meal. The borage seed oil should provide 1g GLA per 100# bodyweight: Typically 5-7 1000mg capsules immediately before retiring.

To eliminate many AS symptoms, four or five days may be required but it took 11 days to eliminate my hip bursitis. I have fasted a maximum of 20 days. Please follow link in my signature "Important AS Resources;" my dropbox has the chapter on fasting written by my friend Dr. Garten, with my own notations.

I eliminated dairy when I first started NSD, just to be sure I covered all the major provocative foods. It made a difference and later when I tried to add too much back at once, I flared. Hard cheeses in moderation are not too bad, but fresh cheeses can be very provocative. It is an individual thing and eventually, I was able to reintroduce dairy.

I do not have experience with probiotics; most have starchy substrates like FOS and inulin that are not suitable. I did use a very small amount of yoghurt with live active cultures (Stonyfield Farms) to reestablish flora after antibiotic cycles. Yoghurt helps heal the gut, also, but after I was pain-free I only took about 2oz (1/2 serving) at any one time.

The oils should eliminate the need for NSAIDs (Mercola).

HEALTH,
John

Professor Ebringer: On Diet and AS;

RED ARROW --> Philippines

#517294 - 06/15/17 04:12 AM Re: LSD has stopped working after starchy holiday [Re: turboflex]
Robin_H Offline
Active_Member

Loc: Hubei, China
Taste test for EVOO:

I have learned that fresh EVOO should have a bit of a fruity aroma. It should have a greenish colour and give a peppery burning sensation at the back of the throat if the olives were picked before ripening. If picked later in the season, more ripe, the colour will be more golden and the pepper bite more mellowed.

Older olive oil gets rancid and will have a flavour more akin to motor oil. It isn't good for you as the fats have become oxidized. If it is bought in a plastic or clear bottle it must be of the lowest quality.

The olive oil might not be "extra virgin" even if it says so because grading standards are not enforced. So rely on your nose and taste buds.

I am not aware how much relevance the quality and age of EVOO has on gut healing purposes but for sure fresh stuff is healthier.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/taste_tests/1637-supermarket-extra-virgin-olive-oil

I hope this helps.
Kevin
During age 47 (2015) developed complete axial inflammation (started from from skull and progressed down to sacrum). Included psoriasis. Trigger in scull was reverse blockage in a SCUBA mishap. Straw that broke the camels back was over use of NSAIDs. NSD works well but not perfect. Strong involvement between symptoms and gut integrity.

#517308 - 06/17/17 03:24 PM Re: LSD has stopped working after starchy holiday [Re: Robin_H]
turboflex Offline
New_Member

Thanks, that's interesting. I'll pay more attention to the taste of the oils.

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Guy claims to know the cure for AS must see!
by L33
10/11/17 04:57 PM
women who have as
by connieb
10/02/17 11:43 PM
taken off biologic, help
by Winter
10/02/17 06:51 AM
Drinking diluted bleach eliminated symptoms
by Robin_H
09/30/17 09:29 PM
pain pump