Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#517266 - 06/10/17 06:05 PM foot pain
light Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker

Loc: brooklyn, ny
In the past 9 months I have been having periodic food pain in the ball of my foot, but mostly on the top. It moves around a bit, but it feels like my metatarsals are inflamed. It has been killing me for weeks now. I can no longer walk at all. I have seen 2 podiatrists who are clueless, so I am assuming it is the AS. Have any of you had success treating this kind inflammation?

I am on NSD with good success, unless something like this happens.

Any advice would be amazing.
Thanks.
celery/avocado/spinach/kale/arugula/chard/lettuce/wakame/nori/sunflower sprouts(no seeds)/pea greens(no peas)/all organic meats/bone broths/all fish/free range eggs/ oils: hazelnut/coconut/pecan/olive/walnut/pecan/pumpkin/avocado/ghee/nut butters: hazelnut/brazil nut/skinless marcona almond/ pumpkin seed (some batches starchy)/tahini/coconut flour/coconut kefir/homemade 72 hour goats milk yogurt/umeboshi paste/camu camu/thyme/grey sea salt/Supreme Spice oil extracts/Garlic infused oils

#517269 - 06/11/17 06:48 AM Re: foot pain [Re: light]
Frederick Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker

Originally Posted By light

Have any of you had success treating this kind inflammation?

All you can do is to treat it as you would any other A.S. pain with a mixture of exercises rest and more medication. The chances are that it will go away just as mysteriously as it came.

#517271 - 06/11/17 08:20 AM Re: foot pain [Re: light]
Robin_H Offline
Active_Member

Loc: Hubei, China
Hi light (that sounds funny):

Oddly, at times using a heating pad helped soften the pain for me no matter where it is but I don't think it did anything to really remedy it. My toes do that occasionally and either medicines or a bit of starch has triggered it.

I agree with Frederick about gentle exercise. Hitting the Yoga mat right after I wake up is essential. Sometimes I have to do it after being asleep for only a few hours. The less I move the more I hurt.

Something else just came to mind: it isn't necessarily what is going into your body but instead what isn't -- perhaps there is a nutritional deficiency??? Just and idea.

Your food list looks yummy!

I hope this helps.
Kevin
During age 47 (2015) developed complete axial inflammation (started from from skull and progressed down to sacrum). Included psoriasis. Trigger in scull was reverse blockage in a SCUBA mishap. Straw that broke the camels back was over use of NSAIDs. NSD works well but not perfect. Strong involvement between symptoms and gut integrity.

#517272 - 06/11/17 04:56 PM Re: foot pain [Re: light]
LINCinNYC Offline
Imperial_AS_Kicker

Loc: The Big Apple
Yes!!! In fact I just got over four days of pain in my right foot. This has been going on for two years now, every six months or so. I wake up and limp. Or stay in bed. I have even been to the ER and had X-rays. Nothing broken. One doc said tendonitis. My Rheumy says gout as my recent blood tests showed high uric acid. He gave me gout meds.

It doesn't feel like it though. It's like the tendons on the top of my feet and around the ankles are inflamed. But nothing is swollen!! One time my foot was red, that's when I went to the ER. No infection. I can get this in one foot, it goes away, and then the other foot starts, and sometimes both at once! Also in part of my right knee joint I get the same thing, often at the same time as my right foot.

I'm 53 and on my feet all day so it's been a problem, however I have been on Enbrel for over a decade and a shot will help it go away in several days. I have noticed that it happens when I am off Enbrel for several weeks due to getting sick and taking antibiotics.

So I'm trying the gout meds and on Enbrel and I would suggest a rheumatologist check your uric acid levels and perhaps try a biologic. I feel your pain immensely!!! Hang in there!!!
Peace
Linc

#517277 - 06/12/17 02:10 AM Re: foot pain [Re: LINCinNYC]
Robin_H Offline
Active_Member

Loc: Hubei, China
For me it feels to be mild gout-like symptom in my toes -- invisible tendon and joint inflammation. When I walk and bend the toes up it feels like the toes are popping out of their joints and then back into joint when the toes straighten when I lift my foot up. I can not walk properly when it happens. I had also considered it to be an inflamed nerve there, but the tendon/joint tissues make better sense.

The worst instance lasted for a couple of weeks and had the highest intensity when a crazy psychiatrist put me on the latest anti-anxiety drug. It started in the right foot. I attributed it to probably stubbing my toes unaware. Then about a week later it developed in the other foot and I quickly concluded that the cause was the drug. I instantly reduced the dose by half and the intensity of the symptoms went down within 24 hours. Then three days later I took myself completely off the drug. Within a few days my toes were almost back to normal. It took more than a year for the tendons in the bottom of my toes to stop feeling irritated. The symptoms have never came back so strong or for so long since -- it has been a couple of years since the drugs now and my toes are not an issue.

Drugs can cause more problems than they solve (if they solve a problem at all). I'm developing the philosophy, "if not taking it wont kill me then I wont take it." I find that when I put my faith in a doctor and they hand me a drug I just suffer more.

My feelings are backed up by the statements made at time spot 7m:48s by the scientist/doctor in the TED talk

https://www.ted.com/talks/daniel_levitin_how_to_stay_calm_when_you_know_you_ll_be_stressed

Definition: Number Needed to Treat (NNT) is the number of people that need to take a drug or medical procedure before a person benefits.

Regarding the most popular statin three hundred people need to take the statin drug for a year before one heart attack or stroke is prevented, but one in twenty people will experience bad side effects. This means that you are 15 times more likely to be harmed by the statin than being helped. Also, out of hundreds of cholesterol reducing drugs that were developed none really reduced heart attacks and strokes until statins came along, so something else must have been going on besides lowering of blood cholesterol levels.

And as an aside, there is a good theory that lowering cholesterol is not actually what reduces arteriosclerosis. It might really be a form of sulfur deficiency that encourages the body to store fat and cholesterol in the big arteries leading to the heart. The sulfur can be in your system but the necessary metabolic pathways for utilizing the sulfur are impeded because of glyphosate in the diet.

Just my $4
KG

Edited by Robin_H (06/12/17 02:19 AM)
During age 47 (2015) developed complete axial inflammation (started from from skull and progressed down to sacrum). Included psoriasis. Trigger in scull was reverse blockage in a SCUBA mishap. Straw that broke the camels back was over use of NSAIDs. NSD works well but not perfect. Strong involvement between symptoms and gut integrity.

#517279 - 06/12/17 03:06 AM Re: foot pain [Re: light]
DragonSlayer Offline
AS Czar

Loc: Reno or SFLU Philippines
Hi, light:

I don't know whether You have been taking the EVOO, borage seed oil, or fresh wheatgrass juice, but these things should help very much. There is a product which keeps the foot in tension while sleeping: Night splint. Also, exercise by putting off-center pressure; keep leg/foot angle very acute facing (toes facing) wall and push against wall with hands, leaning into the wall.

Salonpas or some lidocane-rich cream might help.

Blood test for uric acid to make sure it is not gout.

I had plantar fasciitis and it was not difficult to finally treat 20 years ago.

HEALTH,
John

Professor Ebringer: On Diet and AS;

RED ARROW --> Philippines

#517283 - 06/12/17 11:02 PM Re: foot pain [Re: light]
rumble Offline
Supreme_AS_Kicker

Loc: NE Oklahoma
PF was the first thing to really clue me in that something was going on with my body...eventually a 5-yr battle with it (including surgery on both feet) got me referred to rheumy. Metatarsal head pain has been recurrent even when I was on a biologic, though it's easier to treat that way. Off the biologic for a year now, and PF plus the met head pain is proving difficult to manage.

For me, stretching and wearing the best shoes I can tolerate has been the mainstay, in addition to pain meds from pain mgmt. At work, I try to stay off feet as much as I can (not easy in my job) and stay on the anti-fatigue mats if I have to be standing. Good luck with your battle. It's not easy.
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x8

#517288 - 06/13/17 01:11 PM Re: foot pain [Re: light]
Kellybells Offline
Active_Member

Loc: Toronto, ON
Hi light - I answered this in the NSD forum but it seems all the discussion is happening here. Here's my response:

I think I have had similar pain in my feet. The pain on top is worst over the third to fifth metatarsals. When it's sore it hurts to the touch. At its worst I am unable to walk - each step feels like I'm walking on a broken foot. (I even went for xrays at one point).

It took me awhile but I eventually linked it to wearing less structured footwear (ballet flats, thin-soled athletic shoes, flip flops, etc.) I love walking but I have a terrible gait (overpronate, bunions, bad knees, tight hip flexors/weak glutes) which I think puts extra pressure on my feet when I wear minimalist footwear.

Not sure if your situation is similar, but in case it is, my pain improved in the short term when I switched up my shoes. I found long term improvement from developing my foot strength and working on my flexor/glute imbalances.

*I should add that the top of foot pain still comes back just not as bad as it used to (I haven't had an 'unable to walk' episode for a few years). But I'm stubborn about not going back to fully padded footwear and orthotics, so I've persisted.

Edited by Kellybells (06/13/17 02:05 PM)
Suspected SpA. HLA B27, xray, u/sound, blood tests all -ve. Ancient history of plantar fasciitis, SI joint pain, knee arthritis. Recent history of tendinitis, neck pain, debilitating finger pain and stiffness (especially mornings). No diagnosis, no meds.

Jan 2017 - discovered NSD - 97% improvement in symptoms, continually amazed by my results, wish I'd found kickAS sooner
2014 - stopped eating all grains
2012 - stopped eating wheat
2010 - stopped eating dairy

#517293 - 06/14/17 02:11 PM Re: foot pain [Re: light]
Golanist Offline
New_Member

Loc: Israel
Hi. I also have started having trouble with foot pain other than the regular PF.
About a month ago both legs got very edematous, along with pain at the base of the the 3rd metatarsal head, ankles and lateral side of the foot. More on the left but definitely bilateral. Often both ankles are very red, and sometimes quite tender to the touch, not to mention trying to walk.
I just switched to consentyx this week after about a year and a half on enbrell.
Hope it helps.

#517304 - 06/16/17 11:04 PM Re: foot pain [Re: light]
light Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker

Loc: brooklyn, ny
Thank you so much, everyone. Finally, after 3 podiatrists, one had a lot to say that made sense. He explained that because of my insanely high arches I have given myself extensor tendonitis. It makes sense, as there is no contact between my foot and the ground in the arch on either side. He believes that my injury could very well be mostly mechanical, but I am certain the AS crap is making in worse. Since going NSD, my inflammation levels have been very low, but my body still does not know what to do with inflammation from injuries.

He seems to think the pain will settle quickly once I get proper orthotics, but it takes 3 weeks to make them and another week to break them in. In the meantime, he gave me a way to wrap my foot. It makes it MUCH less painful at rest, but I still cannot stand or walk at all.

Luckily, I am out of work for now and plan to camp out at home for the upcoming weeks.

Again, thanks so much. I will keep you all posted.
celery/avocado/spinach/kale/arugula/chard/lettuce/wakame/nori/sunflower sprouts(no seeds)/pea greens(no peas)/all organic meats/bone broths/all fish/free range eggs/ oils: hazelnut/coconut/pecan/olive/walnut/pecan/pumpkin/avocado/ghee/nut butters: hazelnut/brazil nut/skinless marcona almond/ pumpkin seed (some batches starchy)/tahini/coconut flour/coconut kefir/homemade 72 hour goats milk yogurt/umeboshi paste/camu camu/thyme/grey sea salt/Supreme Spice oil extracts/Garlic infused oils

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Drug/Medicine for AS Cure - is there any hope
by ravirajhn
Yesterday at 05:48 AM
Guy claims to know the cure for AS must see!
by L33
10/11/17 04:57 PM
women who have as
by connieb
10/02/17 11:43 PM
taken off biologic, help
by Winter
10/02/17 06:51 AM
Drinking diluted bleach eliminated symptoms
by Robin_H
09/30/17 09:29 PM
pain pump