Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#517114 - 05/15/17 05:30 AM NSD - Clarification
jay_bharat Offline
Master_Sergeant_AS_Kicker

Loc: INDIA, Tamil Nadu
Hi all,

I am trying to change my diet details, since the present diet is not giving desired results. Kindly indicate the food allowed for NSD from the list given below.

Beet Kvass (with whey liquid)
Almond milk
Soy milk
Lemon Juice
Lime
Butter milk
Greek Yoghurt
Till seeds
Sesame
Peanut
Chick Peas
Kidney beans
Spring Onion
Gooseberry
Orange
Pomegranate

Thanks in advance.

Jay

#517116 - 05/15/17 10:45 AM Re: NSD - Clarification [Re: jay_bharat]
ranger7 Offline

I am not sure on some things but I would stay away from these:

Soy milk - not good
Greek Yoghurt
Till seeds
Sesame
Peanut
Chick Peas
Kidney beans
Spring Onion
Gooseberry
Orange
Pomegranate

Thanks.

#517117 - 05/15/17 02:16 PM Re: NSD - Clarification [Re: jay_bharat]
DragonSlayer Offline
AS Czar

Loc: Reno or SFLU Philippines
Hello, Jay:

Kidney beans, peanuts, and chickpeas are all way too starchy to eat!

It is important to drink citrus juices that are with pulp filtered out.

I don't know about the soy milk--I would not touch this!!!

Buttermilk and the Greek yoghurt are borderline foods, which MAY cause trouble; the have Carol's "dodgy disaccharides" of lactose and galactose.

Understand about milk products in general--some people have sensitivities to casein and do not do well on any milk-derived food, others are lactose-intolerant, and still other people do not properly metabolize butter fats in milk. All of these problems will exacerbate AS symptoms, one way or another. I recommend going strict NSD first and eliminate milk products and get into very strong remission for many weeks before reintroducing the "fringe foods" like milk-derived things.

Gautam Dandekar has had great results on his own regimen in India; he knows which foods cause trouble for him--check out the Indian AS Facebook page.

HEALTH,
John

Professor Ebringer: On Diet and AS;

RED ARROW --> Philippines

#517118 - 05/15/17 03:46 PM Re: NSD - Clarification [Re: jay_bharat]
Rayd Offline

Loc: Germany or Austria
Hi Jay,

peanuts
kidney beans
sesame
and chick peas

might have too much starch. I don't know, what till seeds are.

Some here have problems with dairy.

Good luck!
Rayd

#517121 - 05/15/17 11:02 PM Re: NSD - Clarification [Re: Rayd]
jay_bharat Offline

Hi Rayd,

Thanks for the info.

Jay

#517122 - 05/15/17 11:03 PM Re: NSD - Clarification [Re: ranger7]
jay_bharat Offline

Hi Ranger7,

Thanks for the info.

Jay

#517123 - 05/15/17 11:26 PM Re: NSD - Clarification [Re: DragonSlayer]
jay_bharat Offline

Hi John,

Thank you.

I consulted a dietician giving them the details about my AS and NSD. I also mentioned that my iron level increases with meat / fish / dry fruit consumption. I sought diet details with no starch and energetic food with less iron content. I know that some of the diet mentioned are indeed not allowed for NSD. However, I preferred to take the opinion of diet followers and hence posted here.

I did consult a dietician before starting NSD about 9 months back and talked to Gautam Dandekar several times and started the diet. Because of increase in iron level and also subsequent drop in the improvement observed, Gautam Dandekar has very limited option to suggest diet suiting me.

My main issue appears to be the increase in iron level with meat / fish / dry fruit consumption. Hence, the allowable diet is very narrow. To obviate the problem faced, I am trying my level best to find out a solution. I am also trying to study ways to correct the gut problem. Presently I would like try NSD for some more time, but facing the problem of proper guidance / support / availability of items.

Regards.

Jay

#517136 - 05/17/17 02:31 PM Re: NSD - Clarification [Re: jay_bharat]
Kellybells Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON
Legumes are very high in starch, and I personally have not done well with nuts and seeds (including blanched almonds and almond milk) although I have been ok with hazelnut milk. Dairy is completely out of the question for me.

Of your list, the only foods I would eat are:

- beet kvass but only if made without whey (you don't need whey for kvass, only a good salt brine)
- lemon (juice only)
- lime (juice only)
- spring onion
- pomegranate (juice only)

Given your issues with meat, you may want to add more fat. I have started cooking with coconut milk and so far it's fine for NSD. I just cook my veg in the coconut milk like a soup. I also use a lot of oil to cook veg, mostly olive oil for roasting and coconut or avocado oil for frying.

I'm just starting to experiment with ripe avocado (it's high in fiber and according to nutrient records, it has a tiny amount of starch) but I can't say for sure yet whether it gives me issues.

Red meat and dried fruit are high in iron, so i can see how they would affect your iron levels, but I'm surprised that chicken and fish are also an issue, as they are very low in iron (so long as you don't eat organs like the liver). To check iron levels in different types of food you can search for iron content in the USDA nutrient database: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/nutrients/index

This dbase has been extremely helpful for me to search for the typical starch content of foods (although I still test with iodine, since starch content varies). You can also search for iron. And even better, you can search for both iron and starch at the same time.

#517140 - 05/18/17 02:14 AM Re: NSD - Clarification [Re: Kellybells]
jay_bharat Offline

Hi Kellybells,

Thank you for the details provided by you.

I would like to try beet kvaas, but was bit reluctant since beetroot has a little starch (1.7 gm/ 100 gm). Your comments are encouraging. I will study the details of preparation and will try to give it a try, with salt brine. Have you tried this, how did you feel. Can beetroot is taken as vegetable for NSD.

I am taking EVOO presently. Any idea how much quantity of coconut milk can be taken in a day. I am taking coconut meat, which has iron. I have to check about iron in coconut milk. Can we take avocado raw, it tastes bitter.

After starting NSD I mainly consumed chicken / fish (6 times a week out of 14 times) and dried fruits daily. But iron level was gradually increased. I reduced chicken / fish to 2 times a week and found iron to reduce. Then I stopped dried fruits almost completely with chicken / fish to 2 times a week. Now iron level is slowly becoming normal. I do not why iron level is increasing though I was not consuming them daily. May be everyone is different. This is the stumbling block for me to follow NSD.

I used to check a few sites for the nutritional values ever since I started NSD. This is one amongst them. I used to check both starch and iron in those sites. Thank you for sharing. I check food with iodine whenever I try a new food.

Regards.

Jay

Edited by jay_bharat (05/18/17 02:16 AM)

#517143 - 05/18/17 11:24 AM Re: NSD - Clarification [Re: jay_bharat]
Kellybells Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON
I made a beet kvass early on in the NSD to get more probiotics in my diet.

Although beets are starchy, and I reacted when I ate them steamed, I thought kvass might be different because you only consume the liquid. My hope was that most of the starch would stay locked in the beet and I was careful to only cut the beets in half to minimize the surface area for starch. I didn't notice that my symptoms worsened though I should be very clear that this was early on and before I'd fully figured out how to eat NSD and my pain level was a bit higher than it is now. I haven't had it since.

With the coconut milk a can (about 400ml) is 768 calories and I can easily consume a whole can at a meal. But I checked and it is pretty high in iron, which may be a problem for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
1 registered (Exacta), 135 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Mayo Clinic
by jackson
05/22/17 05:01 PM
Stop Remicade and manage with just NSAID's ?
by AsX
05/20/17 08:55 AM
Niacin
by jay_bharat
05/20/17 12:54 AM
NSD - Clarification
by jay_bharat
05/15/17 05:30 AM
Candida albicans
by Rayd
05/14/17 08:08 AM
No/Low Starch Diet Success/Failure Stories Ratio