Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
psr Offline OP
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker
P
Hi everyone,

Been struggling to find pain relief in my back and my feet over the last 6 years and I really don't know what to do now that Humira and Remicade have done nothing to help me. I am still on Remicade - been 6 months, but I don't feel much relief other than some mild morning relief/stiffness. I still can't sit for long, can't walk far due to swollen heels and metatarsal pads and unable to bend forward.

My rheumy informs me that each time I try a new biologic, my chances of responding to it decrease. Humira did absolutely nothing, remicade provided MILD relief but far from beneficial. I have tried the anti inflam diets - nothing.

Anyone had similar experiences? Any ideas on what I could try next?

Thank you!
Paul

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
My aunt was on Remicade for several years and it did..NOTHING.

Then they put her on another newer one, specifically supposed to be good for psoriasis, can't remember which one, and it has been miraculous for her.

I was lucky that Humira worked so well for me right from the start.

But a lot of people have to try several before they find one that works...

don't give up hope.

They are coming out with new ones that attack the immune system in different ways all the time.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
V
Steel_AS_Kicker
Steel_AS_Kicker
V
I tried Remicade and Humira too. The thing that helped most was RF ablation for my si joints and eating 90% raw foods , it really does help. I canot eat grains, dairy or starchy stuff without feeling pain. I feel best eating raw, its hard at first, but I find the arthritis pain to be harder to deal with than the diet.

take care

Diet change has improved my RA. I feel best eating raw veggies and some fruits and avoiding grains, sugars, nightshades, beans and dairy. Sed rate dropped from 65 to 19, but it took over a year.
www.fatsickandnearlydead.com

excess fat/oils = pain for me
recipes for raw food on Youtube "raw food romance"
and "healing josephine" Josephine is in remission from RA after two years by change diet/exercise
Remicade stopped working for my arthritis after 6 months, started off well then just tapered off. My GI doc wants me to stay on it so I'm trying to tackle AS with diet and stretching and although it's hard it actually works.

1992-'93 DX Colitis -> Total Colectomy / J-Pouch.
2015 DX Sacroilitis (USpA)
Taking - Humira, MTX, Triphala, ReMag, Transdermal Magnesium, Lactoferrin, Peppermint oil.
Diet - No Sugar/Dairy/Starch/Alcohol
Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
I can say great things about Cimzia. It worked longer than any of the other 4 biologics I tried (though I might have bailed on 2 of them before waiting out flares). In fact, if I hadn't had to stop taking it for a pesky lung nodule following a case of pneumona, it might still be working past 3 yrs. Talk to your rheumy. All of them are about equal, but people have different responses to different drugs. After all, we are all different.

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
Supreme_AS_Kicker
Supreme_AS_Kicker
I can say great things about Cimzia. It worked longer than any of the other 4 biologics I tried (though I might have bailed on 2 of them before waiting out flares). In fact, if I hadn't had to stop taking it for a pesky lung nodule following a case of pneumona, it might still be working past 3 yrs. Talk to your rheumy. All of them are about equal, but people have different responses to different drugs. After all, we are all different.

DX: Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteoporosis, Psoriasis
Meds: MTX since Oct 2009, 15mg/week. Cimzia-restarted after 2 yrs away.
Epidural Steroid Injections x8; Lumbar Radiofreq Ablation x2
SIJ Steroid Injection x3; Bilateral Radiofreq Ablation SIJ x9
B
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
B
Paul,
I'm onto my fourth anti tnf now over the last 12 years or so. 1st & the best for me was Infliximab (Remicade), then Humira, Simponi, currently on Enbrel now. Although I've been off Enbrel now for around 4 weeks, due to related side effects. Ear problems mainly. Hopefully I'll start back on Enbrel again soon. I just found over time the anti tnf treatments to wear off slowly. Hence, changing them.
Although there were areas of my body anti tnf never really cut the mustard. Went from a whole body ache, to 2-3 deep areas of constant pain. Which was an improvement for me. I've also tried eradication diets, which didn't work for me. I was quite happily plodding along with NSAID's to control my A.S, until they nearly destroyed my stomach. Reason I started on anti tnf.
My A.S has also involved my eye's. Anti tnf did nothing to help in this department.

F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
[quote=Boroboy]

I just found over time the anti tnf treatments to wear off slowly. Hence, changing them.

I was quite happily plodding along with NSAID's to control my A.S, until they nearly destroyed my stomach.

/quote]

Hy Boroboy
Yes I have also found that my Anti-TNF (Enbrel) has worn off over the years but then I have been on it for a long time about 10 years. They now have me on Etoricoxib (Arcoxia) rather than the indomethacin that I have also been on for a long time. This is only the first few days on the Arcoxia and things don't look too good on it. If the Arcoxia does not work then they have said they will change my Anti-TNF from Enbrel to another probably Humira.

Yes it is all too easy as you say to be just "happily plodding along" on the same old NSAIDs. I first went on NSAIDs. way back in 1964 at the age of 18. By the age of about 29 my stomach started to play up and I went on a then new drug called cimetidine (Tagamet). This solved my stomach probs. and I was able to continue with the NSAIDs.

By today aged 70 I am on a newer stomach protector called Lansoprazole and it does it's job of solving any stomach probs. very well. An endoscope examination showed that I had two stomach ulcers that had healed due to my having been on the Tagamet.

I have been very lucky regarding eye problems due to my A.S. I remember having the one attack of what the doc. said was Uveitis or Iritis whatever many years ago. He gave me some drops and that was the end of the matter. It soon disappeared never to return. I wonder if it even was as a result of my having A.S.

B
Warrior_AS_Kicker
Warrior_AS_Kicker
B
Frederick,
I take Arcoxia occasionally for my pain, even taking it with Lansoprazole my stomach is still a bit sore. So only use it really when I really need it. Probably tomorrow for work. Regarding my eye issues, I have S.J too. Had my tear ducks plugged. Use artificial tears on a regular basis. My eyes feel like a desert at times, especially during the night. probably had this condition from the age of 21, but didn't realise it then. Had iritis around 8 years ago. Due to complications, I had a cataract operation. I now suffer from severe photophobia within my right eye. Have to wear wrap around sunglasses indoors & out. Been that way for around 8 years. Even wear them for work, office etc.
A.S brings it's daily challenges for most of us, no doubt. Seems to effect different parts of my body now. Moved away from the main areas, seems to be effecting my peripheral joints more. I've suffered from pelvic floor muscles issues recently.
I've been off Enbrel for a while now & feeling it. Due to ear issues. Infections. Once I stop they clear up.
Neither have I experienced any type of remission from my A.S, although I have had lower pain days. Especially whilst on my first anti tnf (Remicade).

F
Frederick
Unregistered
Frederick
Unregistered
F
Originally Posted By Boroboy

A.S brings it's daily challenges for most of us, no doubt. Seems to effect different parts of my body now.

Neither have I experienced any type of remission from my A.S,

Yes I suppose most sufferers find their condition changes as time goes on. The last few years have been rather bad only they now tell me it is more of a ligament thing Enthesitis rather than joint problem. All I know is that it still bloody hurts whatever the cause.

I must admit that even after all these years I still get concerned whenever I get a pain somewhere that I have never had a pain before. The doctors and us patients are all too apt to put any new pain down to being just some other A.S. thing rather than investigate such things as they should.

There have been times when I thought my A.S. was in a state of remission or at least very near remission. There was one of about eight years when I really thought this is it that damn disease has at last left me. So we make the best of any chance we get to live as normal a life as we can and just get on with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,361,975 hmmm
1,319,726 OMG!!!!
709,316 PARTY TIME!