Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#516118 11/12/16 09:07 PM
R
Rayd Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hello together,

I am dealing with a flare since the beginning of the year. It was ugly (iritis, enthesitis, back pain), but it is much better since 2-3 month. But I still feel pain in my back, more or less. It is an up and down. So, there is definitely a steady inflammation.
I avoid coffee and every kind of caffeine since 10 days, because I had the feeling that I drank too much, and after a few days with some abstinence symptoms my back pain nearly vanished. Unfortunately it is coming back now. Fortunately I don't have to take any meds yet.

So, I think, because I am pretty straight in avoiding starch for a long time, that I have a problem with my guts.

That's my list of food:

fruits: blueberrys, rasperries, Oranges

vegetables: kohlrabi (a lot), broccoli (a lot), sprouts (sometimes), salad, sauerkraut, olives (green and black, a lot)

fish and meat: a lot of chicken, a lot of tuna, smoked salmon, smoked trout, sardines, pork, sometimes sausages or bacon but I try to avoid them because of the additives, sometimes red meat

further: oliveoil, salt, oregano

Supplements: magnesium, vitamin D, today I started with psyllium husks

Drinks: water, teas: rosehip, peppermint, camomile

no dairy, seeds (including nuts), no caffeine

Do you guys have any suggestions, what I can do or what possibly I do wrong?

Thanks a lot!
Rayd

Last edited by Rayd; 11/12/16 09:07 PM.
Rayd #516122 11/13/16 10:21 AM
AS Czar
AS Czar
Hello, Rayd:

Hope You can take some borage seed oil (>6 capsules) before retiring evenings. Good on with the EVOO, but supplements should include lysine, vitC, vitE, Bcomplex, and extra niacinamide. Good to eat some probiotic yoghurt (~2oz per day it is dairy) and more diet variety. Okra is good, nuts like almonds, walnuts, macadamias, and Brazil. Avoid sausages for their additives, and especially EGGS!

Hope You can get rid of the remaining pains and keep the iritis far away!

HEALTH,
John

Rayd #516123 11/13/16 11:02 AM
R
Rayd Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hello John,

thank you very much for your help!

I definitely need more variety in my diet. I am just afraid to eat something wrong. I do not eat eggs anymore. I did a lot. Maybe that was part of the problem.

@ yoghurt: I will try probiotic yoghurt.
@ nuts: I read, that nuts are not so easy for the digestic system to deal with. Do you have other experience?
@ borage seed oil capsules: never heard of this before. Sounds very good. I will buy some and try them.
@ iritis: I think, that I react to too much sugar with iritis. So I avoid sugar.

Hope you are doing well!
Rayd

Rayd #516157 11/21/16 01:33 AM
AS Czar
AS Czar
Hi, Rayd:

Nuts are difficult to digest, but that does not mean they are necessarily hard upon our digestive tracts; it means there is residual undigested bulk that was not used as a substrate for bacteria--that is a very good thing.

In small amounts, yoghurt can be medicinal; good to begin with just 2oz per day to see how You react.

Many of us have candidiasis that is exacerbated by sugar and will make AS worse as a secondary reaction; it is very important to treat this before AS can be substantially improved through diet.

Wishing You every success and much renewed
HEALTH,

John

Rayd #516161 11/22/16 11:06 PM
R
Rayd Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi John,

thanks again for Your help. I suspected that maybe candida could be a problem and tried a treatment but I was not really straight about it, so I think I should do it again. I didn't knew, that many of us have this problem.
I still have some pain but don't need medication. Maybe because I don't eat any sugar (just some berries).

Wish You all the best!
Rayd

Rayd #516169 11/26/16 06:21 AM
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Sausage - oh my goodness avoid! It is absolutely the norm for starchy fillers to be added. Gluten free will not help one bit.

Fruit - may I suggest : try pears and grapes. Grapes are berries too of course smile. Have fruit on a empty stomach, that's what works best for me. Not really an AS issue per se but rather a fermentative & candida issue.

Fruit fast - I used to do this frequently in order to push the reset button on all the inflammation. Fruit and water, juice and tea for three days. Three days is what it took for me - your mileage may vary. Once the pain is gone you can introduce other foods again one at a time and see how you react.

Yoghurt - make sure it has no inulin or FOS added (fructo oligosacharide). I found that the powdered inulin which they use was very provocative and brought on inflammation.

I initially had problems with natural inulin sources (a complex carb comparable to starch) but I found I could improve tolerance to natural sources via gradual introduction. The worst offenders for which it is artificially added is probiotic yoghurt and probiotic pills. Beware.

Tea - ok here is a weird thing I used to get : if I steeped the leaves too long then the tannins would actually make me sore! I know it's weird, and I can't say for sure what the mechanism is (die off? Tired liver?). And yet it is quite repeatable and many different teas would behave this way, even peppermint. Probably something unique to me but thought I should mention it.

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Rayd #516170 11/26/16 06:32 AM
Z
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Colonel_AS_Kicker
Z
Supplements - check these with iodine of course.

Psyllium - I was never quite sure about this one. I seem to recall it caused some skin problems. I don't know.. maybe try without for a week.

Nuts - blanched almonds (no skin) and hazelnut are good. Almond flour is great for baking cakes.

Tahini bread - try this recipe sometime when you are ready
https://sites.google.com/site/cureankylosingspondylitis/recipes/tahinibread

what I can eat on the diet (click here) -- my blog -- contact me (PM is broken)
"Some men, in truth, live that they may eat, as the irrational creatures, 'whose life is their belly, and nothing else.' But the Instructor enjoins us to eat that we may live." -- Clement of Alexandria (about 200 AD)
Rayd #516174 11/26/16 09:49 PM
R
Rayd Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi zark,

thank you very much for sharing your experience!

I have also problems with natural inulin sources.

The thing with the tea is very interesting. Maybe you will find out, what is going on and share with us.

I read about that the digestition deals best with fructose on an empty stomach.

I hesitate to fast, because I am vey skinny (1,90 m, 74 kg), so I try to avoid it, despite I am very curious how it works (and I am sure, that it does!)

Rayd

Rayd #516214 12/08/16 07:38 PM
B
Bel Offline
Active_Member
Active_Member
B
My husband reacts to some meats from different sources

Get the best, freshest quality you can; eg organic

Try to avoid anything out of a tin

Last edited by Bel; 12/08/16 07:40 PM.
Bel #516284 12/23/16 09:28 PM
R
Rayd Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hi Bel,

thanks! But why should I avoid anything out of the tin? What about tuna without any other ingredients?

Rayd #516285 12/23/16 09:54 PM
R
Rayd Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Update

After a few ups and downs I feel better all in all. A little pain is resisting and it is like it is wandering from the back to the neck today but all in all it is less than the last weeks.
I was very strict with carbs. I avoided them completely, even nuts and dairy . I ate some dairy the last days but only a little. My back pain didn't increase but since today I have the neck issue. I am not sure if it's related to the dairy, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Maybe my sensitivity to carbs is a sign for candida. I tried to do something against candida but I am not sure if it was successful.

I eat a lot of bone broth with vegetables. I think it is good for me.

Anyway I am not sure how to proceed because to sustain the diet this strict way is very hard. Any suggestions?

Rayd #516324 01/01/17 09:06 PM
Your diet looks really good. Some people with Candida can't eat fruits until they heal, you could try switch your berries and orange for lemons and limes. Lemons and limes are the most easy tolerated but even then some people can't eat them.

I would stay away from nuts and yoghurt for now. Eat more organic high quality sauerkraut and braggs apple cider vinegar before meals. Just watch your histamine levels and reactions as you already eat alot of smoked fish.

Oil should be extra Virgin olive oil, only raw, don't cook it. Salt should be Celtic sea salt, Himalayan salt or natural sea salt not table salt.

Water is really important, choose reverse osmosis filtered water or spring water not
Tap water as it Is chlorinated.

If you need more energy add healthy fats in organic refined coconut oil and add avocado.

Get sunshine vitamin D!

Last edited by drone3; 01/01/17 09:17 PM.

1992-'93 DX Colitis -> Total Colectomy / J-Pouch.
2015 DX Sacroilitis (USpA)
Taking - Humira, MTX, Triphala, ReMag, Transdermal Magnesium, Lactoferrin, Peppermint oil.
Diet - No Sugar/Dairy/Starch/Alcohol
Rayd #516352 01/04/17 09:32 PM
R
Rayd Offline OP
OP Offline
R
HI drone3,

thanks a lot for the advice. I wasn't aware of histamin. I eat too much smoked fish. And probably too much salt, and the wrong salt. So I will reduce he smoked fish and change the salt.

Happy new year!
Rayd

Rayd #516405 01/12/17 01:26 PM
R
Rayd Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Update:

Feeling much better with avoiding smoked fish reducing changing the salt (to sea salt). So maybe it was just too much histamine!?
I reintroduced some dairy (kefir, curd, young gouda) and almonds without skin. And half or a whole apple per day.
I do this for a week.

Some backpain in the evening and morning still remains.

Rayd #516447 01/18/17 03:08 AM
K
K
Hey Raye,

Take out all dairy including kefir for two weeks see what happens. If you wan to take a natural probiotic instead of kefir make saukraut or korean kimichi. Cabbage helps heal the gut and deter bad bacteria growth. If you make korean kimich don't add fish sauce instead use apple cider vinager in the same proportion in it s place. Also switch almonds to walnuts and if you need a nut butter switch to sesame seed (tahini) it may help.
I have been playing with diet for 3 years and found most nuts except for walnuts and macadamia create inflammation and sesame is fine. A few other things I find that help is limit red meat, and stick to fresh fish but not shellfish, eat turkey, chicken and pork and eggs for meat but only season with salt and pepper. Also take out all msg and any processed food, smoked fish is full of nitrates and sometimes other additives. Be very carefull with any sauces as many have hidden names for msg or starch ingredients. I find if you can try this for 2 weeks you can see for yourself if it works or not, you should see a dramtic improvement in 2 weeks. Also when you see improvemnt keep active and exercise and stretch it makes a huge difference in how you feel even if just going for daily walks movement is always good.

Rayd #516450 01/18/17 08:44 PM
S
New_Member
New_Member
S
Has anyone tried chaga mushroom tea?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 62 guests, and 84 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM