Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Topic Options
#514618 - 04/13/16 09:39 AM Remicade for 17 yr old son
Leanne Offline
Active_Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
I haven't been on for awhile. My husband has AS and is treated with Remicade. Now, sadly my 17 yr old son has it. He was in a lot of pain today and did not go to school. How safe is it for him to get remicade?

Leanne

#514842 - 05/07/16 01:40 AM Re: Remicade for 17 yr old son [Re: Leanne]
santacruzmts Offline
Active_Member

Hi Leanne I would repost this in the main forum where more people would read it. I believe that it would be safe but it would be good to have more of an idea on what /how severe his symptoms are. I think taking a look at the diet section (no starch diet) would be a good start as well as considering Sulfasalazine. I think depending on severity and what symptoms he has it is more common to start with the shots: Humira, Enbrel, Simponi, and Cimzia. My AS (or Undifferentiated Spondylitis) started at 17 and I am now 28.

Eric

#514847 - 05/07/16 07:37 PM Re: Remicade for 17 yr old son [Re: Leanne]
Stormy Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker

Remicade is FDA approved for kids as young as 6. I have known children even younger on it. My kids have oth been on biologics since their mid teens - about 10 years or so now. Both have done extremely well with few to no side effects.

One concern that I have about the no/low starch diet for young adults and teens is the nutritional deficiencies that can and often do occur. Brain deelopment is not complete in males until the early 20s. Studies have shown that carbohydrates and starches play an essential role in providing the energy needed in human brain growth and development. Personally, I would not feel comfortable restricting this dietary need in a deelopment individual.

#514854 - 05/08/16 02:44 AM Re: Remicade for 17 yr old son [Re: Leanne]
santacruzmts Offline
Active_Member

I think that that treating children is difficult and all the information available should be researched and considered. That is really cool Stormy that your kids have done so well on biologics. I agree that they are usually safe and can be really effective. If my future children ever develop AS I would likely support them going on the biologic medications. Unfortunately they are not effective for everyone, or show limited effectiveness in some patients. They often prescribe nsaids, dmards, and pain meds that I think should be reduced or avoided if possible. I don't think that the low and no starch diets necessarily cause nutritional deficiencies if followed correctly. I know there are parents successfully using high protein high fat high vegy low starch diets like the Paleo diet to help treat their children's auto immune disorders. The Paleo Mom blog comes to mind. I know that there are limited studies out there, but all of the people whose lives have been drastically changed for the better by changing their diets should at least be considered. I think it is likely this disease originates in the gut, and that methods undertaken to heal and protect the gut are really important. Even going gluten free and dairy free can help restore gut health without doing the more intense diets, and can noticeably reduce symptoms. 17 is close to being an adult and I think he should be allowed and encouraged to learn about his condition and make educated informed decisions. This being said I truly don't know if making the more serious diet changes adversely affects growth and development, and to what degree.I also don't know all of the adverse effects of not making dietary changes, being on a biologic or not being on one. I know that living in chronic pain has got to have some serious negative effects on the developing brain. I know that AS often continues to cause damage, even to those who are on a biologic medication.

#514914 - 05/15/16 08:12 AM Re: Remicade for 17 yr old son [Re: Leanne]
mig Offline

Loc: ON, Canada
Hi Leanne,

AS started for me when I was 18-1/2 y/o. I only wish Remicade had been available back then as it would have saved me from decades of pain - pain that impacted so many of my life choices/decisions. I am into my 11th year on Remicade and over this time I've seen young kids (<10 y/o) receiving Remicade infusions, plus countless teens. I imagine many are there for the treatment of Crohns rather than AS, but for treating AS, studies show it to be even more effective if started early in the course of disease... and I believe there is an increased chance of it putting AS into remission the earlier the med is started. I think it has proven to be very safe and most Rhematologist's feel that since it can be so effective that the rewards far outweigh the known risks.

Since he is just 17, I'd also want to check with a qualified dietician and his doctor if you are considering combining the treatment with any manner of change to diet that involves restrictions. That could be something to research once he is older and/or if Remicade or another biologic doesn't seem to help in his case.

For sure I am biased towards Remicade because for me it's been such an incredible life-saver smile and without side effects.

Wishing your family the best in this decision-making and hope your son will be feeling better soon!

#515032 - 05/27/16 07:06 AM Re: Remicade for 17 yr old son [Re: santacruzmts]
Leanne Offline
Active_Member

Thank you!

#515033 - 05/27/16 07:07 AM Re: Remicade for 17 yr old son [Re: Stormy]
Leanne Offline
Active_Member

Thank you!

#515034 - 05/27/16 07:11 AM Re: Remicade for 17 yr old son [Re: mig]
Leanne Offline
Active_Member

Thank you very much.

Moderator:  Kiwi, WendyR 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Jerusalem artichokes/sunchokes
by Kellybells
11/30/20 12:03 PM
Taltz approved in Australia's PBS
by Max_GG
11/29/20 04:42 AM
Get an SSDI Lawyer....
by gbash
11/16/20 10:05 PM
Kicking AS with my Microbiome and Anti-TNF
by Spiderpidge
09/02/20 06:48 AM
Are AS and Ulcerative Colitis connected at all ?
by MarkyT
08/13/20 06:14 PM
Gundry - Plant Paradox
by JasonB
07/27/20 09:09 AM
One year of NSD
by Kellybells
01/20/18 05:19 PM
(Views)Popular Topics
"FITNESS" TEAM! - All Physical Activity & Sports 55,473,073
hmmm 2,655,162
Has anyone had Pedicle subtraction Osteotomy ? 2,242,740