Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
I
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
I
Hi all!
I'm so glad to have found kickas.org! I was diagnosed just this week with AS. I can't get into a rheumatologist for a while, so I'm looking at NSD and the AIP to hopefully help control my pain and inflammation.

I'm sure I'm going to have tons of questions as I get into all of this, but I do have one pressing, important question...

What's the opinion on coffee? smile

I can drink it black or with stevia, giving up cream is not too hard for me. I know it has some good health benefits...plus I'm a coffee junkie.

Does it cause many of you to have flares?

Newly diagnosed (October 2015) with AS by primary care doctor, waiting to get into a rheumatologist.
34 yrs old
HLA-B27 positive
Chronic back pain at night for 5 years.

First case of uveitis in Sept 2015 led me to eye doc who sent me to primary care doc...which led to diagnosis.
Hello there and welcome to Kickas

I am not a coffee drinker, so never tried with NSD and cannot say from personal experience (my guess is it is safe... but only 50% confident).

I drink a mate cocido (similar to green tea) every morning, it has caffeine to wake me up in the morning. I drink it "amargo" (bitter) as they say here, for general health reasons I do not add sugar or sugar substitutes to any food. Sugar in excess has also triggered flares for me.

Regards,

Tim

AS may win some battles, but I will win the war.

KONK - Keep ON Kicking
I
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
I
I've never heard of that, but thank you for the recommendation. If I need to replace coffee with something I'll keep that in mind.
Thank you!

Newly diagnosed (October 2015) with AS by primary care doctor, waiting to get into a rheumatologist.
34 yrs old
HLA-B27 positive

First case of uveitis in Sept 2015 led me to eye doc who sent me to primary care doc...which led to diagnosis.
Master_AS_Kicker
Master_AS_Kicker
I drink a lot of coffee everyday, and I've never had any problems from it. I drink it strong without anything added.

--Greg

AS symptoms started 1991. Official dx in 2006 with HLA-B27+, fused SIJ, bone spurs in back, extreme rib/hip pain, and other family with SpA. Started Enbrel in 2006 with good results, but stopped in 2010 due to nerve damage (MS) from it. Getting good results with no-starch diet since 2011.
Magical_AS_Kicker
Magical_AS_Kicker
I used to love a cup of dark French roast coffee in the morning. If coffee didn't tear up my stomach these days and make me feel drained and crappy later in the day I would totally drink it. I used to LOVE espresso and iced mochas. But I now drink fresh roasted dandelion coffee (often with carob and chicory) and I LOVE it! It makes me feel good too. I have added a link to my recipe for dandelion coffee, which is seriously tasty, and said to be an awesome liver detoxifier, also credited for stimulating bile production and promoting good GI health. I truly love starting my day with it.

My dandelion coffee recipe: http://www.forestandfauna.com/dandelion-root-coffee/

And here is my "frappuccio" recipe that I make all the time. http://www.forestandfauna.com/paleo-frappuccino-detox-coffee/

That is pretty much my motto, "If it makes me feel like crap I avoid it, but if it makes me feel good I enjoy it!"

If I were to guess I'd say maybe half the people I know in the No Starch Community drink coffee. It is allowed on SCD (the low starch healing diet I first started over 5 years ago, that led me to NSD) but coffee is not allowed on AIP.

I also enjoy a wide variety of teas, hot and iced. When we go out to eat, or if I meet up with friends for "coffee" I generally order a hot tea.

I'm now a KICK AS (and Kick IBD) success story!! After going low starch Paleo to heal my gut, I can now eat nearly all starches, grains & foods without inflammation, flare-ups, or pain. I used a modified SCD diet approach (minus dairy! plus cacao ♥). Cheers to healing & thriving again! I blog at http://www.forestandfauna.com/about/
M
Decorated_AS_Kicker
Decorated_AS_Kicker
M
Two cups every morning just a touch of half and half. No problems for me. My wife reminded me that all coffee is not on my OK list. Don't know why. I looked around and found some Colombian supremo that does not bother me.
ETTE
Darrel

Last edited by mulehound; 10/11/15 02:45 AM.
I
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
I
Awesome, thank you!! smile

34 yrs old
HLA-B27 positive

I
New_Member
OP Offline
New_Member
I
Thank you for the recipes, Betty! I was confused because I'd read AIP doesn't allow coffee, but it seemed safe for NSD.

34 yrs old
HLA-B27 positive

D
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
I've experimented with coffee a bit to see if it causes me any problems by giving it up for a month or so. My coffee of choice used to be the frothed milky kind, then I switch to a dollop of cream, now its just plain black filtered coffee. I found dairy in the form of milk & yogurts was giving me some problems from mild headaches to possibly contributing to low level of inflammation. Funnily enough I don't seem to have a problem with cream when its cooked (as in buttered chicken).

At first I found black coffee hard to drink, but that's because I was drinking espresso based coffee's. For me, black coffee tastes best through a filter. Now I make it using a coffee syphon filter mostly, french press, or plain old drip filter. I always grind my beans fresh as I need them.

Clean black coffee......it takes the angry away.

Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 36 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,367,361 hmmm
1,323,044 OMG!!!!
711,701 PARTY TIME!