Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#511653 07/06/15 10:33 PM
D
dlee Offline OP
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Has anybody tried one of these? I'm interested to know if it helps bring relief especially at night whilst trying to sleep.

https://magneticosleep.com/

Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand
A
A
Hi dlee, I want to quit NSAID's too. What do you mean with "biohacking" esperimentations. I take 100mg daily diclofenac and NSD.

Here's what I found:

Quote:
What the studies say
Scientific studies on human subjects have failed to show the efficacy of using magnets to treat pain or joint and muscle stiffness. One of the largest studies was published in 2007 in the Canadian Medical Association Journal — a systematic review of numerous previous studies on static magnets.

Quote:
In 2006, UC Irvine's Flamm took a closer look at the science behind therapeutic magnets in an article that he published with Leonard Finegold, a professor of physics at Drexel University. For their article, published in the British Medical Journal, the authors reviewed the scientific literature on the efficacy of commercially available therapeutic magnets to treat a variety of ailments. They found no evidence that such magnets actually work.

"As far as static field magnets, there is definitely no evidence that they work," Finegold told Live Science.

Finegold's assertion is in keeping with the position of the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) on magnet therapy. The NCCIH's website states, "scientific evidence does not support the use of magnets for pain relief." The organization also states that no such evidence exists to support the use of magnets in the treatment of conditions such as fibromyalgia.

http://www.livescience.com/40174-magnetic-therapy.html

Timo
D
dlee Offline OP
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Originally Posted By annelore
Hi dlee, I want to quit NSAID's too. What do you mean with "biohacking" esperimentations. I take 100mg daily diclofenac and NSD.

Hi Annelore, I've been on diclofenac for 15 years. Normally 100mg per day. There was a time when even these failed me and that's when NSD stepped in and helped a lot. In the last year I have managed to reduce my dosage to 100mg 3 x per week and that's including eating starchy carbs like white rice, potato, green bananas every day.

In the last 6 weeks I did away entirely with diclofenac and for the first couple of weeks was ok, since then been going back and forward but always getting worse and worse in general. For the last 2 weeks I haven't been able to sleep very well. I wake up at least once per hour through the night from back pain. Trying to get comfortable in bed is damned near impossible.

At this point, I'm not sure what's worse. Diclofenac (which seems to give me no visible problems) or the nasty inflammation from not taking them. The base of my spine pulses with pain. I can't put my damned socks on any more! Everything is becoming a huge effort as I'm sure many here will identify with. I think I'm going to have to take at least 1 to knock it back a bit and have another go. I have cut my starches right back as well.

I'd love to find a natural replacement for Diclofenac, but so far I haven't been successful. I've tried 4 - 6 grams of curcumin at a time, seems to do nothing but give me nose bleeds. This week I have been eating natural turmeric.....things have got worse.

Biohacking is nothing more than a term to describe self experimentation really. I believe in epigenetics so trying external things to alter my gene expression. e.g. wearing blue blocking glasses at night to block blue light, having cold showers in the middle of our winter, eating various foods /supplements to see what impact they have on my health, experimenting with infrared light to see if that helps etc etc. Anything to get rid of this condition.

Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand
D
dlee Offline OP
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
OP Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
D
Thanks Timo, yeah I have used magnet type things before and they don't seem to do much for me.

I think this device would hold more interest for me because it uses infrared as well.

http://www.biomat.com/

However, these things are not cheap and I'm hesitant to buy anything like this until I know somebody that I trust has tried it.

A
A
Many thanks for replay dlee. I´m in NSD too espetially of wheat. But rice is ok for me, only the sticky rice, short size (for sushi). More content of amilopectin than amylose. Kleibsella don´t feed amilopectine. But only 2 times in a week
Good Luck (sorry my english)

Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
i can't speak to that specific item, but will speak to magnets for a moment.

i bought a very pretty magnetic bracelet, not for the magnet so much as for the picasso jasper.

anyway, thought it would be a good experiment because wrist tendonitis is one of my worst enthesitis.

the seller claimed it would not only help that wrist's tendonitis, but would help the systemic inflammation throughout my body.

for awhile i wore it every day, and not to my surprise, it did nothing for me, not even my wrist....

did get lots of complements on the pretty stones...picasso jasper is very pretty.

another thing that was nice about it, those of use with arthritis, clasps on bracelets can be tricky, but the magnet clasp is an easy on-off mechanism.

but as for dealing with pain and/or inflammation....nothing.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
D
New_Member
New_Member
D
I have been using an earthing sheet for the last month and have improved sleep...most markedly on the first night of use. Do others use these or give credence to Clint Ober's work?

Moderated by  Megan, WendyR 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 127 guests, and 83 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
AS questions from a newbie
by Karma_Coconut - 02/09/24 02:25 PM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,359,842 hmmm
1,318,621 OMG!!!!
708,474 PARTY TIME!