Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#511543 - 06/29/15 07:34 PM Re: Healing the gut with glutamine? [Re: Sue22]
dlee Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Its fairly basic recipe. We were inspired by a commercial product we purchase which tastes divine.....its just really expensive. We have made only 1 batch at the moment as a test and now making the next lot now.

400ml of coconut milk or coconut cream to 1 probiotic capsule. Our probiotic capsule contained acidophilus as one of the bacteria. We just used whatever we had. I don't believe you need to be fussy about the type of probiotic you use. Any bacteria that likes sugars I think will do.

Mix it up and put it in a very basic yoghurt machine which is nothing more than a big flask type device that you place another container (containing the mixture) into the middle of and pour hot water around the outside of it so that it raises the temperature. Put the lid on it for 24 hours or so to get the culture started then seal and move the container holding the mixture to the fridge. Apparently leaving it out longer can thicken it more. I don't see a problem leaving it out longer it depends on how warm your surrounding environment is for the bacteria I guess.

It came out of the yoghurt maker after 24 hours like runny liquid. It tasted like......coconut milk. I wasn't hopeful. But we put it in fridge (sealed) and found it thickened beautifully over the next 3 - 4 days. I gave it a stir once every 2nd day. And it developed the characteristic sourness to it which indicated to me that the bacteria had eaten the sugars in the coconut milk and it was now Yoghurt.

If you don't have a yoghurt maker, you can put the mixture in a sterile glass jar and to put in the oven with just the light on for 24 hours, then move to the fridge. You just need to get it warmed up so that the bacteria multiply and do their thing. I would give it 48 hours in the oven (or any other warm environment) to be honest. It doesn't have to be too warm obviously if an oven with a light on will do. Something consistently over 21/22 degrees celcius I would hazard a guess.

The texture was light and fluffy. Not as thick as what the commercial product was. We read the label on the commercial product and noted they used Coconut Cream so we are trying that now.

We use a lot of coconut cream in our house. I like it for the high fat content and its not watered down like coconut milk is and it tastes nicer and its thick. The one we favour is Kara UHT coconut cream which I believe is widely distributed around the world. We prefer to get it the 1 litre cartons rather than a can. I don't believe you will need to add a thickener to the Yoghurt mixture but some of the recipes we read say to use gelatin to thicken if necessary. But coconut cream is naturally thick to start with.

Anyhow, will let you know if a few days how it turns out smile

Edited by dlee (06/29/15 07:40 PM)
Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand

#511547 - 06/30/15 01:26 AM Re: Healing the gut with glutamine? [Re: dlee]
Sue22 Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Upstate NY
thank you both for the recipes / instructions.

yes, i get the commercially available stuff now, but its spotty in our store, i think they're gonna discontinue it....which is ashame, but if i can make it, it won't matter.

thanks again smile

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)

#511549 - 06/30/15 03:10 AM Re: Healing the gut with glutamine? [Re: Sue22]
dlee Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I just tasted the coconut cream version. Its identical in texture and taste to the commercial version and it is DELICIOUS!

It's not quite ready I think......just needs another couple of days to add just a bit more sourness to it. 1 probiotic capsule to 400 ml of coconut cream. Easy.
Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand

#512194 - 08/21/15 07:24 PM Re: Healing the gut with glutamine? [Re: Sue22]
MarkyT Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker

I was taking it before, I stopped taking it and went into remission, I started having back pain recently again and thought I might start taking glutamine again as well. It made me feel worse.

It's crazy when you think about it, one supplement might work for someone, and make someone else feel the opposite.

Those autoimmune diseases are really, really messed up.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Megan, WendyR 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Headaches from Humira
by baileyo
08/15/17 06:43 PM
Dr. Reveille
by Tnate
08/11/17 12:27 AM
Various questions, and about Candida
by kj243
08/10/17 02:10 PM
updating account