Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
I
Will go back to my strict brown rice diet.

Diagnosed with AS in August 2009
E
E
thanks a lot for the reply...I just need your input further on this subject.

I have tested positive for HLA-B27 and had iritis once about 7 years ago (when it all started) only last year was officially diagnosed with AS.

I have seen a Naturopathic Doctor when I was officially diagnosed with AS, and she did recommend I do the allergy testing, but she said I have to consume starch. She gave me some probiotics and fish oil for gut healing. I haven't taken either, and in fact I never went back to see her after. I'm just not sure if the allergy testing is worth the monecy, it is so expensive. What do you think? Also what did your ND recommend for gut healing for you.

Last edited by Eska; 08/27/15 08:12 PM.
I
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
I
I agree with the need for gut healing. An ND may be a good help with that. Yes, I've read that probiotics need to feed on something, maybe that's why she wants you to eat starch. I feel brown rice is ok for me As long as I don't eat fruit or sugar. I eat lots of spinach and kale. I do take lots of fish oil and make water kefir and eat sauerkraut and take probiotics. I still have to do the stool test to find out what bacteria I'm dealing with. My ND wants me to do it. I've been procrastinating but I need to do it soon.

I
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
I
Oh and I've done allergy testing, it was useless to me. I didn't test positive for any allergy to any food. But I know for sure I can't digest most foods. I would skip the testing if it's going to be too expensive and just listen to your body when it tells you it doesn't like certain foods.

I
Active_Member
OP Offline
Active_Member
I
For gut healing he told me to make bone broths and told me to take L-glutamine

L
L33 Offline
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
First_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
well done in taming your AS....

I agree with you completely about healing the gut first!

From the research I have done a leaky gut is one of the main components which perpetuates AS. My view goes like this: Inflammation in the gut causes the gut walls to weaken and tear, bacteria and food particles enter the blood which causes an immune response with a twist. The immune response attacks the bacteria and also the spinal tissue which looks identical to the bacteria. At the same time the immune system also attacks the bacteria in the intestine which causes more inflammation and more leaky gut which causes it to go on in a "never ending" cycle which could be stopped if heal the gut lining and break the cycle. This sounds simple but it is more complex than that since food allergies can also cause gut inflammation and jump start the cycle again.For this reason I have done a comprehensive food allergy test. The one thing I have found useful is that if I don't eat at all my pain just goes away......

I am currently taking L glutamine & probiotics and I am finding that very helpful.

HLA B27+
Have AS since the age of 13.
Diagnosed in 2005 at the age of 22

M
Active_Member
Active_Member
M
Hi Grateful, I have a quick question for you. Do you have fried food at all in your diet? Carol Sinclair's book seems to warn again fried food which someone else on the forum mentioned to me.

I'm thinking of making my diet similar to yours (cutting out fruit and any sugar basically as well as the starch and dairy already missing) but without introducing the brown rice, at least to begin with. I'm worried about getting enough calories and the bacon I have for breakfast currently helps with that a lot.

Thanks for your help,
Mark

M
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
Journeyman_AS_Kicker
M
Hi Mark,
I am also no dairy and no sugar. I tried rice but it flared up a candida or bacterial infection so my diet is pretty similar to what you describe. I've found that my saving grace is fat. I melt coconut oil over any meat, fish or cooked vegetable. I'm probably well over 5T of it a day. Additionally I pour tons of olive oil on my salads. I modeled how I eat based on Terry Wahl's Paleo Plus ketogenic diet and it seems to be helping. I figured if I can't tolerate carbs bc I react to sugar in fruit and starch in rice then I might as well do the healthiest ketogenic diet I can and her level 3 diet that she uses for MS has been a good guide. I used to be very hungry when I was started NSD. I think I would overeat protein because I didn't know what else to eat but when I switched to upping the fat and only eating protein to the point that it seemed appealing, I think this helped.
I use salt (and sometimes herbs) to make the coconut oil taste good and I use salt and ACV to make a olive oil into a dressing.
Also, I'm not advocating keto diets or anything but if you find that you basically have to eat keto to keep your symptoms away, coconut oil is particularly key as a fat. It has a lot of short chain fatty acids which your liver can turn into ketones and your body can use as an alternate fuel to glucose.
Hope this is helpful!

M
Active_Member
Active_Member
M
Thanks so much for your reply, that's very helpful. I use coconut oil already to cook but I don't add it to things as an extra, thanks for the idea. I'll check out info on the ketogenic diet you mentioned. Luckily I have always had a taste for fatty meat so I eat plenty but I'll bear in mind the point about trying to fill up on protein. Thanks again smile

Mark

L
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
Fifth_Degree_AS_Kicker
L
Thanks so much for sharing! I have also found that fruit causes issues but due to the strictness of NSD I still include it. I am wondering do you consume any nuts? Almond flour or nut butters? What have you found has happened weight wise since adding in rice?

Initially on NSD I lost a lot of weight about 25 pounds but now for some reason I am gaining. I have been afraid to add back in probiotics or rice but feel maybe its time to do so. I rely a lot on the nut butters and almond flour to get me through and while this didnt seem to be a problem initially I know it could be adding to the wight gain.

When you say brown rice, I'm confused is it whole grain? Also do you use honey or maple syrup? I'm assuming no because of the sugars.

Thanks!!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (haydenk), 113 guests, and 86 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM