Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#511545 - 06/30/15 12:50 AM My AS Finally Resolved
IamGrateful Offline
Active_Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
I felt like I owed it to my AS community to finally come back and tell you how I've been out enjoying my life pain-free and iritis-free for quite a while now. I was diagnosed in 2009, and after tweaking my diet during the course of many years, even trying an abx protocol (didn't work), I finally found the key. It's been a year or two now that I don't get iritis. Pain has been gone for many years. I switched to kaiser recently and I told my new doctor I have AS (I was diagnosed by a doctor on my previous PPO insurance plan). He didn't believe me so he sent me for an x-ray of my back. He then sent me a letter saying that I do not have of Ankylosing spondylitis because there is no damage shown in the x-Ray. The key for me is my gut. NO sugar (not even from fruit) and no allergenic food. To make things easier, I only eat eggs, brown rice, some vegetables, greens, lots of salad, and meats. That's it. I am now seeing a naturopathic doctor in San Francisco to aid me in fully healing my gut and hopefully ending the food allergies so I can eat normal. I was helping a friend with Lyme to find answers and I came across a book, Why Can't I get Better? By Dr. Horowitz. It's about Lyme but for chronic/autoimmune illness too. I totally agree with Horowitz; theres a reason or reasons that we have a "chronic" illness. Could be Mercury poisoning, mold, gut problems, vitamin defiency, etc. but the key is finding it and fixing it and you can beat your chronic illness. That book basically describes my health journey all these years. Hope this helps someone that has a similar situation. Thanks for reading. smile

Edited by IamGrateful (06/30/15 01:14 AM)

#511554 - 06/30/15 12:39 PM Re: My AS Finally Resolved [Re: IamGrateful]
miniowl Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker

Thank you for sharing, I'm so happy for you and it gives me so much hope!

#511555 - 06/30/15 02:20 PM Re: My AS Finally Resolved [Re: IamGrateful]
IamGrateful Offline
Active_Member

Miniowl, you can do it! I felt relief immediately after starting the no starch diet. But it wasn't the cure. Find out what things you cannot tolerate, maybe try an elimination diet. Sugar even from fruit will eventually give me iritis. Build your gut back up with the right probiotics (VSL3 and a coconut water kefir from Whole Foods are great), homemade water kefir, sauerkraut and bone broths, l-glutamine. By the way, my ND just gave me some b12, shots , what a difference! Fatigue gone!! An ND could really help get your system back in shape.
I have to avoid eating what feeds my bad bacteria and candida. But I'll heal my gut someday, Im not giving up!

#511559 - 06/30/15 03:10 PM Re: My AS Finally Resolved [Re: IamGrateful]
mooman Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker

Hi there congrats , so many questions. How are your energy glucose levels without any sugar? Can you be more specific as to your current dietary regime eg, breakfast lunch supper and snacks. It would help a lot I am currently on nsd but I know I had problems with it before cutting out all sugar would be challenging. :-)

#511564 - 06/30/15 04:58 PM Re: My AS Finally Resolved [Re: IamGrateful]
IamGrateful Offline
Active_Member

Hi Mooman,

I found that brown rice, and the vegetable I eat give me enough carbs. The veggies I can eat are: zuchinni, carrots, celery, cucumber, spinach, kale, and squash, chayote, jicama, onion and garlic, and lettuce. I can also eat avocado and lemon.

Breakfast, eggs with brown rice, and veggies (my cholesterol is still perfect btw)

Lunch and dinner: brown rice with any kind of meat and lots of salad. I don't get hungry really between meals because I eat big meals, but if I do, I'll eat carrot sticks. Or I snack on the dried seaweed from Sprouts Market.

#511565 - 06/30/15 05:22 PM Re: My AS Finally Resolved [Re: IamGrateful]
IamGrateful Offline
Active_Member

Also, I pour braggs raw Apple cider vinegar all over my salad at dinner time. (I love the taste) and also sauerkraut.

#511570 - 06/30/15 07:48 PM Re: My AS Finally Resolved [Re: IamGrateful]
miniowl Offline
Journeyman_AS_Kicker

Great advice, thank you!

I've been curious about adding rice or some kind of carb to my diet, my NSD is basically super low/no carb at the moment. It's working in terms of keeping pain away but I don't think super low carb is the best idea long term (no prebiotics to keep the probiotics alive) Any recommendations for rice, did you phase it in slowly?

#511571 - 06/30/15 08:11 PM Re: My AS Finally Resolved [Re: IamGrateful]
IamGrateful Offline
Active_Member

I think I just stopped eating fruit and just started eating rice. Are you eating fruit? I used to eat lots of fruit while on the NSD to feel full. But I would get really low energy when hungry again. And my iritis would flare up for months on end. When I stopped the fruit, iritis went away and I was able to get off the Doxycycline. I had been on it for a year or more to reduce the severity and duration of the iritis flares .I'm sure the doxy gave me the candida I now have to fight. Slowly my gut has been healing, because when I mess up and accidentally eat a a forbidden ingredient, there are no flare ups, except for an acne blemish. Even my acne is getting much better now.
Also, I may have been sensitive to egg, but now I can eat it.

Edited by IamGrateful (06/30/15 08:16 PM)

#511577 - 07/01/15 03:16 AM Re: My AS Finally Resolved [Re: IamGrateful]
mooman Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker

Lol , I think you might have an acquired taste for apple cider vinegar. How does Brown Rice work its high in starch?

#511585 - 07/01/15 09:07 AM Re: My AS Finally Resolved [Re: IamGrateful]
IamGrateful Offline
Active_Member

I know it sounds incredible. When my abx-prescribing-rheumatologist first suggested I stop eating sugars, I thought he was crazy and didn't listen. Then a doctor in Mexico told me the same thing. So I finally quit eating fruit and saw immediate results. I think I was burping much less, that was the first benefit. I even started eating organic blue corn and spelt at that time! I can't even believe it! But I think it was keeping my candida alive because when I left the corn and spelt I was able to stop the nystatin finally. Brown rice is the only grain I eat now, oh and quinoa. White rice is ok very occasionally and not too much. It also feeds my candida.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Dotyisle, Kiwi, Moderator 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 132 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Has anyone here had C. diff?
by MikeGinnyMD
07/17/17 09:10 AM
No sugar , No starch, say what?
by Amiron
07/17/17 04:15 AM
Pain relief
by Josh300788
07/16/17 02:26 PM
Radon Therapy Czech Republic