Moderators:
· Tim (Dotyisle)
· Chelsea (Kiwi)
· Megan (Megan)
· Wendy (WendyR)
· John (Cheerful)
· Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.

KickAS QR Code
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
OP Offline
POLL...........

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/06/150611082126.htm?

Low birth weight and childhood infections predict ankylosing spondylitis
Date:
June 11, 2015
Source:
European League Against Rheumatism
Summary:
The results of a new study showed that a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis can be predicted by low birth weight, having older siblings and hospitalization for infection between the ages of 5-16 years. These data suggest that these factors play an important role in the pathogenesis of the disease.
Share:
1 3 0 0
FULL STORY
The results of a study presented today at the European League Against Rheumatism Annual Congress (EULAR 2015) Press Conference showed that a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis (AS) can be predicted by low birth weight, having older siblings and hospitalisation for infection between the ages of 5-16 years. These data suggest that these factors play an important role in the pathogenesis of the disease.

AS is a painful and progressive form of arthritis caused by chronic inflammation of the joints in the spine. Prevalence of AS varies globally, and is estimated at 23.8 per 10,000 in Europe and 31.9 per 10,000 in North America.

The cause of AS is unknown. Although AS is strongly associated with the genotype HLA-B27, not everyone testing positive for the marker goes on to develop the disease.

"A link between AS and the HLA-B27 genotype was established more than three decades ago, yet studies on the environmental risk factors are few," said study investigator Dr. Ulf Lindström, Institute of Medicine, Rheumatology and Inflammation Research, Sahlgrenska Academy, Sweden. "Our research has identified three factors associated with significantly increased risk of the disease in later life. These data strengthen our understanding of the interplay between genetics and environment in AS, and bring us closer to pinpointing the underlying cause of the disease."

Statistically significant increased risks were observed for birth weight under 3,000g (18% vs. 15%), having older siblings (63% vs. 58%) and for hospitalisation due to infections at age 5-12 (5% vs. 3%) and age 13-16 (2% vs. 1%). These factors have been implicated in other, associated disease; the triggering effect of infections in reactive arthritis has been established, birth weight has been shown to predict development of autoimmune disease (diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis), and a link between older siblings and disease risk has been demonstrated in asthma.

Data from several Swedish national registers were used for this study, with five matched controls (sex, age, county) identified for each case of AS. Exposures assessed were birth weight, gestational age, type of birth (single/multiple), number of older siblings and exposure to infections.

Story Source:

The above story is based on materials provided by European League Against Rheumatism. Note: Materials may be edited for content and length.

cat

OK. Let`s see what we can come up with...

To start the ball rolling. Me.
Normal birthweight 7lbs 7ozs. Full term
Third child - so two older (and later two younger)
Childhood Infection - yes. At 7 yrs infection of some sort, fever etc, not Dx. Aged 10 yrs Scarlatina Nephritis, very ill. Discharged from further surveillance at aged 19yrs.

Next AS`er - see if we can agree this finding...

[/b][b]

MollyC1i - Riding OutAS
C
Major_AS_Kicker
Major_AS_Kicker
C
Interesting.

Me: Birthweight ? but three weeks early, and have an idea I was a bit small, and less than 7lb
Oldest (of three)
hospitalised for pneumonia and collapsed lung at age of 7 or 8, also nursed at home (by mum) through some fairly serious chest infections between aged 5 and 12

Master_AS_Kicker
Master_AS_Kicker
Hmmm...

- My birth weight was 8 lb 15 oz, so not underweight.
- Two older siblings.
- No childhood infections.

AS symptoms started 1991. Official dx in 2006 with HLA-B27+, fused SIJ, bone spurs in back, extreme rib/hip pain, and other family with SpA. Started Enbrel in 2006 with good results, but stopped in 2010 due to nerve damage (MS) from it. Getting good results with no-starch diet since 2011.
A
New_Member
New_Member
A
Hmmm. 6.5 lbs. Premie born before me -- didn't make it. Older half brother. Younger brother, younger sister. Double mastoid infection at 18 months. Aseptic gram-negative infection at 17 (landed me in the hospital with IV antibiotics).

Adam Rodman

I had a relatively low birthweight: 6 lbs? 6 lbs _ ounces? something like that. definitely not above that.

had german measles (rubella) before I can remember. my mom told me, told me it ruined their vacation. they were supposed to go down to florida and then i got sick.

i wonder if she'd remember how my GI was before and after that illness? I remember prune juice for constipation before I started school, but i wonder when that started?

Very interesting. Time will tell how all of this is related or not.

thanks molly. smile

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
P
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
Third_Degree_AS_Kicker
P
I was a bonnie wee baby 9lbs
youngest of 5
normal amount of childhood illnesses but no hospitalizations.
I always had sprains and twisted ankles or such growing up

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
A
New_Member
New_Member
A
Very interesting. 6.25 lbs at birth. Double mastoid infection at 12 months. Aseptic gram negative infection requiring hospitalization for two weeks of IV antibiotics at 17. Older half brother. Premature sibling before me that did not survive.

FWIW

Adam Rodman

S
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker
S
Interesting. I was just a couple of weeks early and 5 pounds 14. Did have some infections and ridges in adult teeth attributed to illness as a baby but no hospitalisations. I'm theoldest in my family.

AS, IBS, reflux oesophagitis and dysphagia, PCOS/insulin resistance, asthma...
Currently managing my AS with humira, methotrexate, low starch diet and exercises. Also taking omeprazole, metformin etc.
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
Addicted_to_AS_Kickin
I would ask is that a "chicken or egg study". Couldn't low birth weight, early childhood infections be manifestation of AS not elements of causation. I like the very random nature of the older sibling factor.

As for me. Above average birthwieght, middle of three children and has one mystery high grade undiagnosed fever befroe turning two. So except birthweight I guess I partially fit the parameters.

L-R: Julianna, Jamie, Diane and Tonimarie

stevec-they also serve who stand and wait
Originally Posted By stevec
I would ask is that a "chicken or egg study". Couldn't low birth weight, early childhood infections be manifestation of AS not elements of causation. I like the very random nature of the older sibling factor.

As for me. Above average birthwieght, middle of three children and has one mystery high grade undiagnosed fever befroe turning two. So except birthweight I guess I partially fit the parameters.

yes, correlation does not mean causation. smile

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 36 guests, and 80 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Dietician
by Christichka - 04/19/24 01:07 AM
Meat and Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:47 PM
Green tea and more Klebsiella
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:22 PM
Trehalose
by 604 - 04/09/24 09:02 PM
What now?
by PhilD50 - 04/08/24 01:31 PM
Its been a long, long time
by Richard - 02/27/24 10:49 AM
Total remission of my AS on the Carnivore Diet.
by Mark55 - 03/20/19 02:51 AM
Popular Topics(Views)
3,367,361 hmmm
1,323,044 OMG!!!!
711,701 PARTY TIME!