Moderators:
- Tim (Dotyisle)
- Chelsea (Kiwi)
- Megan (Megan)
- Wendy (WendyR)
- John (Cheerful)
- Chris (fyrfytr187)

QR Code
If you want to use this QR code (Quick Response code) just save the image and paste it where you want. You can even print it and use it that way. Coffee cups, T-Shirts etc would all be good for the QR code.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#511484 - 06/25/15 03:59 AM Healing the gut with glutamine?
Sue22 Offline
Very_Addicted_to_AS_Kickin

Loc: Upstate NY
Hi all,

I've searched and read the info on glutamine here, but thought i had read more detail from someone at some point, so i'll ask the question.

Who uses glutamine.

How much do you take.

What has been your experience with it.

The humira helps the chronic constipation, but its still an issue. i'll be good for a few days after the humira, then it starts going downhill. its always a challenge.

diet, certain foods, probiotics, plenty of water, plenty of exercise, magnesium all help too, but i feel like i still need more. humira more often could work, but there are tradeoffs to that.

sue

Spondyloarthropathy, HLAB27 negative
Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
LDN/zanaflex/flector patches over SI/ice
vits C, D. probiotics. hyaluronic acid. CoQ, Mg, Ca, K.
chiro
walk, bike
no dairy (casein sensitivity), limited eggs, limited yeast (bread)

#511488 - 06/25/15 06:10 AM Re: Healing the gut with glutamine? [Re: Sue22]
Staffy Offline
Apprentice_AS_Kicker

Loc: Oxford, England
I take it infrequently, usually before exercise when I want to perform well eg a competitive tennis match. 5g with some fruit juice (helps with absorption).

I find it well tolerated and I *think* it helps reduce my inflammation/stiffness whilst I exercise.

One word of warning though if you have any cancer history - it can feed cancer cells. This is why I use it sparingly.

#511495 - 06/25/15 05:30 PM Re: Healing the gut with glutamine? [Re: Sue22]
dlee Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I used it but found it did nothing for me.....however I was on NSAID's so if there was any gut healing going on I'm sure it was quickly wiped out by NSAID use. I used 5 grams at a time. Usually morning and evening.

Edited by dlee (06/25/15 05:31 PM)
Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand

#511500 - 06/26/15 05:23 AM Re: Healing the gut with glutamine? [Re: Sue22]
Grumpyally Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker

Loc: UK
Hi,
I have taken it but couldn't say if it did anything and I am so nervous about taking supplements especially white tablets that may have hidden starch in.

However I still have half a bottle left and will be taking it again shortly as part of a plan to heal my gut. I think if are planning to take it to help heal the gut it won't work on its own you need to do a whole load of other stuff as well. I have been reading the Gut Health Protocol along with some other books and will keep everyone posted if I feel it all makes a difference.

Have you tried unpasteurised sauerkraut for constipation I have read that it can help with that.

x

'Chew your drinks and drink your foods'
'Let your knife & fork do the work of your teeth and let your teeth do the work of your stomach'
Mahatma Gandhi

#511521 - 06/27/15 09:54 AM Re: Healing the gut with glutamine? [Re: Staffy]
Sue22 Offline

Originally Posted By Staffy
I take it infrequently, usually before exercise when I want to perform well eg a competitive tennis match. 5g with some fruit juice (helps with absorption).

I find it well tolerated and I *think* it helps reduce my inflammation/stiffness whilst I exercise.

One word of warning though if you have any cancer history - it can feed cancer cells. This is why I use it sparingly.

thanks.

just the info i was looking for.

i don't have a history of cancer. its also not something that runs in our family; maybe because we die relatively young of other things first like liver failure and heart disease from the diabetes.

but now i know a potential negative side effect. i do tend to go for completely safe things so now not sure what i want to do to proceed? but i have pros and cons to balance now.

maybe i'll just try it and if it seems to work, think about using it. if it doesn't work, well at least then i'll now.

thanks again.

sue

Humira (still methylprednisone for flares, just not as often. Aleve if needed, rarely.)
chiro
walk, bike

#511522 - 06/27/15 09:56 AM Re: Healing the gut with glutamine? [Re: dlee]
Sue22 Offline

Originally Posted By dlee
I used it but found it did nothing for me.....however I was on NSAID's so if there was any gut healing going on I'm sure it was quickly wiped out by NSAID use. I used 5 grams at a time. Usually morning and evening.

thanks. yes, i think you are correct. when my GI doc found inflammation and small crohns like ulcers in my ileum and i asked him what could cause that, he said, "spondylaorthropathy or nsaids"; i was not on nsaids at that point, hadn't had even one for years. so that helped with the spody dx. but yes, nsaids can contribute to the gut inflammation for sure. so they help the joint inflammation and make the gut inflammation worse.

sue

chiro
walk, bike

#511523 - 06/27/15 09:58 AM Re: Healing the gut with glutamine? [Re: Grumpyally]
Sue22 Offline

Originally Posted By Grumpyally
Hi,

However I still have half a bottle left and will be taking it again shortly as part of a plan to heal my gut. I think if are planning to take it to help heal the gut it won't work on its own you need to do a whole load of other stuff as well. I have been reading the Gut Health Protocol along with some other books and will keep everyone posted if I feel it all makes a difference.

Have you tried unpasteurised sauerkraut for constipation I have read that it can help with that.

x

thanks, yes, i'm doing pretty much EVERYTHING else including the good sauerkraut and most of the time all of that keeps things going, but i still cycle and sometimes its still really bad, so that's why i'm still in search of what else i can add to the mix.

thanks!

sue

chiro
walk, bike

#511533 - 06/28/15 08:18 PM Re: Healing the gut with glutamine? [Re: Sue22]
dlee Offline
Second_Degree_AS_Kicker

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I've just made a nice big batch of Sauerkraut and my wife has got some coconut yoghurt currently fermenting. I've been off NSAIDs for the last 4 weeks and really struggling but have to get off the damned things. I learnt on the weekend they can actually shutdown one of the livers detox pathways.

I got my Glutamine from a body building shop in powder form. Read the labels and make sure its just Glutamine and nothing else.
Diagnosed AS year 2000 age 26; First onset of major symptoms came with severe food poisoning leaving me in chronic pain hardly able to walk/sleep/sit - never been the same since; HLA-B27 positive; bouts of iritis; no biologics ever, controlling with NSAID's and diet but trying to get off NSAID's through various "biohacking" experimentations; Live in Auckland, New Zealand

#511540 - 06/29/15 11:23 AM Re: Healing the gut with glutamine? [Re: dlee]
Sue22 Offline

Originally Posted By dlee
I've just made a nice big batch of Sauerkraut and my wife has got some coconut yoghurt currently fermenting. I've been off NSAIDs for the last 4 weeks and really struggling but have to get off the damned things. I learnt on the weekend they can actually shutdown one of the livers detox pathways.

I got my Glutamine from a body building shop in powder form. Read the labels and make sure its just Glutamine and nothing else.

thanks for the advice. yes, i too got pure glutamine powder, nothing else, from GNC.

can you give me the recipe for coconut milk yogurt, i want to make my own. what brand machine do you use, or do you go low tech? please share, thanks! smile

sue

chiro
walk, bike

#511542 - 06/29/15 02:17 PM Re: Healing the gut with glutamine? [Re: Sue22]
Grumpyally Offline
Black_Belt_AS_Kicker

Loc: UK
I would be interested in the recipe too. I have just started making coconut yoghurt and chose this recipe:

http://tasty-yummies.com/2014/06/03/how-to-make-coconut-milk-yogurt/

I made my own coconut milk as per the instructions (my usual recipe is 1 cup coconut to 4 cups water). The first time I used my probiotic tablets x 4 as the starter, the second time I used a tablespoon of organic bio-yoghurt and I think two capsules. I did that because it didn't feel like it had fermented at all other than it separating out and needing stirring before refrigerating. However they both turned out the same.
I looked around for recipes and they all used a sweetener I dont know if it is essential but didn't dare try it without. I used maple syrup.
I used great lakes grass fed gelatin as the thickener and though runny when it came out of my yoghurt 'flask' it thickened up nicely in the fridge. It does have a slightly jelly like consistency because of the thickener but I quite like that and it doesn't re-separate out presumably because of the gelatin.

x

'Chew your drinks and drink your foods'
'Let your knife & fork do the work of your teeth and let your teeth do the work of your stomach'
Mahatma Gandhi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Megan, WendyR 
Who's Online
1 registered (jay_bharat), 108 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Drug/Medicine for AS Cure - is there any hope
by ravirajhn
10/19/17 05:48 AM
Guy claims to know the cure for AS must see!
by L33
10/11/17 04:57 PM
women who have as
by connieb
10/02/17 11:43 PM
taken off biologic, help
by Winter
10/02/17 06:51 AM
Drinking diluted bleach eliminated symptoms
by Robin_H
09/30/17 09:29 PM
pain pump